PDA

View Full Version : weird symbol appeared in "my computer" folder, should I be concerned?

dethkruzer
2016-10-20, 12:56 AM
So I just opened up my laptop to test out my internet connection, and found this (http://imgur.com/a/nlTT9) weird symbol in my files. I don't know if this has something to do with what they did with my internet connection. Long story short, my router had been acting up lately, simply not supplying a connection. so earlier this morning an expert I had ordered came over to have a look at the wall outlet that my router is plugged into. He replaced some part in there, I couldn't quite understand everything he was saying about it, but afterwards the router formed a connection almost immediately, and at least according to him, the signal had been boosted 80-fold from what his original readings were.

I'm just wondering, is this strange symbol and location something I should worry about? I looked it up online, and apparently it was related to something called Twonky? When I try to check the properties of this location, I get an error message that the properties are not usable.

I ran Malwarebytes, and it came up clean.

dethkruzer
2016-10-20, 01:12 AM
and now it.... vanished? I installed some windows updates, and it's not there anymore. Now I'm confused, and slightly worried.

factotum
2016-10-20, 01:57 AM
To be honest, the original symbol looked like it might be some sort of removable music device? Did you happen to have an iPod or something plugged in at the time? Can't say I've seen anything like this happen before, but I wouldn't assume malware because malware generally relies on hiding itself, not adding an obvious icon to your screen.

Ashtar
2016-10-20, 02:46 AM
The symbol appeared in the section where Windows shows devices that it found on your network. There is probably a Twonky media server running either on your router or on one of the devices connected to the network. This could be for example running on a NAS like a Qnap network attached storage or on your new router plug.

A Twonky media server is a piece of software allows to stream, audio or video, from a storage device to a consumption device. Example, I installed one so that I could stream tv shows to the smart tv at home. It's a bit like a Roku or Chromecast device - except those are physical devices instead of software only.

So no reason to be concerned. It might just be nice to know which device has the Twonky server running on, so that you can either shut it down (if unneeded) or use it.

dethkruzer
2016-10-20, 03:05 AM
okay. thanks peeps.