PDA

View Full Version : Is Metaphysical spellshaper overpowered?

weckar
2016-10-20, 03:20 AM
I was looking at this prestige class, and it looks WAY too good (and I know it is 3rd party, don't worry).
Seems the ability damage is quite easy to block - even though it cannot be healed. Strongheart Vest, right?

Seriously, is this TOO good to be really balanced?

Echch
2016-10-20, 03:41 AM
This is personal opinion, but yes, Metaphysical Spellshaper is overpowered.

weckar
2016-10-20, 04:08 AM
Holding it next to say, an Incantatrix, how does it stack up? It's much shorter, but...

Although I suppose nothing prevents one from taking both.

Echch
2016-10-20, 05:12 AM
Depends on what you want to do with Incantatrix. If you look at metamagic, Metaphysical Spellshaper is far better, no questions asked. The only thing you need is a Caster Level check of 20, if you care about the damaged score at all (strenght, charisma or wisdom can be drained by a Wizard without affectinng his casting, for example).

Instant Metamagic is nice, but not worldchanging IMO, and it comes online at a later level (it's also 1/day and thus likely worth less than the Spellshapers 1st level benefit).

What you want an Incantatrix for? Increasing your range of possible applications. Spell Triggers, already existing spells and spells cast by others can normally not be affected by metamagic in the way Incantatrix allows you to manipulate them.

Incantatrix also allows you to steal spells, which is pretty broken.

All in all... I'd say Spellshaper is better, since it provides the main benefit you want (reduced Metamagic cost) about 7 whole levels earlier than Incantatrix. Snatch Spell is awesome, no doubt about it, but unless you use Caster Level loops, it's not gonna be too effective, and if you've already reached that level of cheese, it really doesn't matter which one of the two you take.

weckar
2016-10-20, 05:44 AM
Interesting analysis. I'm going to keep an eye out for others, but I will certainly be cautious of allowing this into any games.

Weird that of all places this pops up... there, isn't it?

Echch
2016-10-20, 06:01 AM
I guess. Then again, it's also the book that has Beauty's Caress, which is probably one of the best spells...