PDA

View Full Version : Fun kobold build without dragonwrought

Kaje
2016-10-20, 04:24 AM
So I'd like to make a fun kobold pc without the usual OP kobold tricks. What could I do here?

Oxydeur
2016-10-20, 05:03 AM
A kobold Barbarian/Fist of the Forest/Frost Rager/Bear Warrior ?

Picture a little angry kobold who transform into a Giant White Drake when he go into rage (ask your DM to keep draconic features : fur -> scales).

Crake
2016-10-20, 05:24 AM
By default, all dragonwrought does is just give you +3 to all your mental ability scores by starting of venerable, which may sound like a lot, but when you realise that kobolds start with a -4 ability array, it's not really such a big deal to trade for your first level feat. What it really does is just make kobold into a somewhat playable race.

A build I was tinkering around with recently was a kobold sorcerer who used draconic polymorph and tenser's transformation to go from a small, weak reptile to a towering dragonkin with something like 32 strength and the martial prowess to back it up. Never actually got to play it because things ended up getting shifted around, and he's been moved to the backburner, but it looked like it would have been fun to play.

Inevitability
2016-10-20, 05:52 AM
A kobold can, at first level, have four natural attacks (bite, claw, claw, tail). If you get a source of damage that applies to all of these attacks, such as Sneak Attack, stuff gets messy real quick.

A 3rd-level kobold rogue with Draconic Tail and Craven can make four attacks a round, with each dealing around thirteen points of damage. If you manage to hit with all four, you can disable a squad of four 2nd-level hobgoblin warriors (an EL 4 encounter) in a single round, while unarmed.

Vizzerdrix
2016-10-20, 06:08 AM
Whatever-2
Stoneblessed-3
Goliath barb-1

Become large when you rage :smallbiggrin:

Nifft
2016-10-20, 06:56 AM
By default, all dragonwrought does is just give you +3 to all your mental ability scores by starting of venerable, which may sound like a lot, but when you realise that kobolds start with a -4 ability array, it's not really such a big deal to trade for your first level feat.
... and sleep immunity.

And paralysis immunity.

And immunity to "___ person" spells.

And access to stuff which would otherwise be prohibited.

The Viscount
2016-10-20, 11:54 AM
Immunity to "____ Person" spells cuts both ways, which means at lower levels you can't get enlarged.

If you use the variant rules that also give kobolds slight build, you might be able to pull of some Confound the Big Folk?

Fouredged Sword
2016-10-20, 11:56 AM
I am a fan of Kobold rogue / trapsmith. It's a good mix of casting and rogue skills.

ComaVision
2016-10-20, 12:11 PM
I played a kobold Dragonfire Adept in a campaign and I enjoyed that a lot. It's fairly thematic as well.

Crake
2016-10-21, 02:40 AM
... and sleep immunity.

And paralysis immunity.

And immunity to "___ person" spells.

And access to stuff which would otherwise be prohibited.

Elves have sleep immunity, and there are plenty of 0LA races without the humanoid type, so the only real big one is paralysis immunity, but even then is that really such a big deal? A pretty hefty price at the cost of a feat, and having to be a kobold, after all, kobolds are a pretty terrible race by default. I personally would say that dragonwrought brings them in line with other races, rather than saying that it makes them particularly overpowered or anything.