PDA

View Full Version : Dual Wielding Barb Level Progression

Kushina43
2016-10-20, 07:06 AM
I'd like to preface this with that I'm not normally an optimizer myself. However, I am curious what would generally be good ideas going forward with this build as I rolled extremely well which is new for me

The current stats after racials are:
Rihran Deephand, Variant Human
Barbarian 1 (will be going totem)
Str 18
Dex 14
Con 19
Int 11
Wis 13
Cha 11

Background: Soldier
Skill Proficiencies: Athletics, Acrobatics, Perception, Insight, Intimidation
Feat: Dual Wielder
PP: 13
AC: 16 (17 with weapons drawn)

Weapons: 2 Battleaxes (1d8 slashing)

Edit: Handaxes to Battleaxes
Edit2: Switched Int and Wis scores

JDCGW
2016-10-20, 03:06 PM
First, I would switch INT and WIS, so that WIS starts at 13.

Get to Barbarian 5 first, taking Resilient-Wisdom at level 4.

For levels 6-9, take 4 levels of Hunter Ranger, picking up Two-Weapon Fighting and Colossus Slayer. Choose spells which don't require concentration. For the Ranger 4 ASI, bump STR to 20.

Go Barbarian the rest of the way.

Saggo
2016-10-20, 04:46 PM
Weapons: 2 Handaxes (1d6 slashing)
You're picking up Dual Wielder early, use 2 Battleaxes for 1d8 instead.

For levels 6-9, take 4 levels of Hunter Ranger, picking up Two-Weapon Fighting and Colossus Slayer. Choose spells which don't require concentration. For the Ranger 4 ASI, bump STR to 20.

Go Barbarian the rest of the way.

Alternative is to go 3-4 levels of Champion instead of Ranger. You get Two-Weapon Fighting and use Reckless Attacks to fish for crits. At level 8 you'll be making 6 attack rolls with 19-20 for criticals, ~47% chance a turn. With Action Surge, it's a ~65% chance to crit. Combines well with Brutal Critical at Barbarian 9 and why I'd recommend Half-Orc instead of Human (but I don't know if your race is set already).

Discord
2016-10-20, 05:00 PM
You know. Since you rolled so well you could go for a less optimized race? Since you are going a dual wielded spec and maybe dont plan on taking gwm or picking up heavy weapons.

I have been toying around with the idea of a Rock Gnome barbarian. While not the best race for a barb you get a +1 to con and the wonderful Gnome Cunning which gives you advantage on your int, will and charisma saves when it has to so with magic. This would save you from having to take the resilient wisdom feat since advantage os roughly a +5 anyway.

Just my two cents. When you roll well you can go more fun with a race.

Kushina43
2016-10-20, 05:34 PM
You're picking up Dual Wielder early, use 2 Battleaxes for 1d8 instead.

Ooh, good catch. Not sure how I forgot that of all things

You know. Since you rolled so well you could go for a less optimized race?

The choice of race is part of the intended flavor, actually, as otherwise I'm not usually interested in Humans in general. Aside from starting class, this character is gonna be an anomaly for me personally

And thanks to everyone so far for their input

Edit:

First, I would switch INT and WIS, so that WIS starts at 13.

Get to Barbarian 5 first, taking Resilient-Wisdom at level 4.

Okay, sounds good

Alternative is to go 3-4 levels of Champion instead of Ranger. You get Two-Weapon Fighting and use Reckless Attacks to fish for crits. At level 8 you'll be making 6 attack rolls with 19-20 for criticals, ~47% chance a turn. With Action Surge, it's a ~65% chance to crit. Combines well with Brutal Critical at Barbarian 9.....

This sounds exactly like what this character would love, to be a mighty whirlwind of death.

Thanks again