PDA

View Full Version : The Z-Fighter: A Monastic Tradition Based on DBZ Silliness (PEACH) 5E

PapaQuackers
2016-10-20, 09:16 AM
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12OFwd4Ju6LcO_oNSaQpBFECS-R1pV9oxyr7G_rEZ_ng/pub

This is a fun little archetype based around being a Z-Fighter from the popular anime/manga Dragon Ball Z. This is a pretty rough draft but I thought I'd put it out there for people to enjoy.

khadgar567
2016-10-20, 09:24 AM
what's next beerus as warlock patron come on guys these type of ideas need freaking 20th level classes not put three options and done style homebrews and I dont want to offend you quackers but this is stuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiit

PapaQuackers
2016-10-20, 09:32 AM
Uhhhh, ok? I'm gonna have to ahead and say that I don't really care what you think in that respect? Thanks for coming aboard though.

Lalliman
2016-10-20, 09:46 AM
Go stop the invasion of Azeroth and let people make what they want to make, Khadgar.

My first thought is that Flight could afford to be more ki-effective. Monks can't really deal sustained ranged damage, so there's no harm in giving them something closer to the Fly spell.

Other than that it looks alright. It's hard to say how powerful it is, probably not very since it sucks ki like a madman and the energy blasts aren't that powerful. Personally I would've made the single-target blasts act as spell attacks instead being saving throw-based.

Edit: Hold on, I'm doing some math on the energy blasts.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-10-20, 09:57 AM
Hmm... this isn't bad, but do we really need it? I feel like Sun Soul from SCAG covers the same ground, but in a neater, setting-agnostic way.

khadgar567
2016-10-20, 09:59 AM
Go stop the invasion of Azeroth and let people make what they want to make, Khadgar.

My first thought is that Flight could afford to be more ki-effective. Monks can't really deal sustained ranged damage, so there's no harm in giving them something closer to the Fly spell.

Other than that it looks alright. It's hard to say how powerful it is, probably not very since it sucks ki like a madman and the energy blasts aren't that powerful. Personally I would've made the single-target blasts act as spell attacks instead being saving throw-based.
for alestraza's sake they can bicker like married couple I just used sending on illidan he says before the next expansion they return their regular bickering and please if its out of topic send me a pm not disturb some ones treat for it

Lalliman
2016-10-20, 10:31 AM
While Sun Soul mostly covers the same ground, Quackers might prefer a character who uses energy blasts to supplement their physical attacks, instead of it being their primary way of attack.

Anyways, here's what went wrong with the energy blasts: You probably determined the damage on the basis that 1 ki is worth 5-10 damage, which is what it adds when you use Flurry of Blows. Thus you did 1d8 damage per ki point. But because you still need to spend your action on it, it's a terrible way to spend your turn. Why spend 1 ki to deal 1d8 damage when you can deal 3 x 1d6+4 damage with your fists? It needs a higher base damage to be worthwhile. Some quick math says that the following should be more balanced. Not perfect, but close.

Ki Discharge
Starting at 3rd level, the Z Fighter can channel his ki into energy blasts. You can use your action to use one of the following abilities.
Ki Blast. Spend 1 ki to launch a blast of energy at a target within 30 feet. Make a ranged spell attack against the target, dealing 3d8 force damage on hit. You can spend extra ki on this attack to increase the damage by 1d8 per ki point.
Ki Wave. Spend 2 ki to create a beam of energy that covers a 5 by 30 foot line originating from your space. Each creature in the area must make a Dexterity saving throw, taking 2d8 force damage on a failed save or half as much damage on a successful save. You can spend extra ki on this attack to increase the damage by 1d8 per 2 ki points.

PapaQuackers
2016-10-20, 10:56 AM
I like that a lot Lalli. When I get back to my computer ill definitely implement it. Though I am going to miss special beam cannon.

As for the Sun Soul Monk, I don't own the SCAG so I wasn't aware of it.

EDIT: Made a few changes in line with what Lalliman suggested, lowered the cost of Flight, reworded Energy blasts to his suggestion, and allowed a melee attack as a reaction to teleportation.

Bluydee
2016-10-20, 02:23 PM
Charging only once a while for 6 seconds? That's not accurate. :smalltongue:

I assume you didn't mean to say that a Z-Fighter's spell attack is 8+Proficiency+Wisdom, right?

Lalliman
2016-10-20, 02:37 PM
Though I am going to miss special beam cannon.
You can still flavour the ki wave that way. I just decided to call it ki wave because that terms fits with both D&D and DBZ.

Anyways, in case you want to add additional energy attacks: A way to calculate how much damage is appropriate for an AOE attack is to assume that it hits two targets and both fail their saving throw. This is what WotC suggests in the DMG, and what I used for the blast and the wave. With that assumption, a 2 ki blast and a 2 ki wave both deal a total of 4d8 damage, thus being balanced with each other.

If you want you could use that logic to bring back the Burning Hands-esque blast that's now been deleted.

Charging only once a while for 6 seconds? That's not accurate. :smalltongue:
1d6 episodes would be more accurate :smallbiggrin:

Sicarius Victis
2016-10-20, 03:40 PM
I feel like Super Saiyan should take at least a few rounds to activate, though you might gain the effects of Sanctuary while activating it. I also feel like it should involve some sort of CHA check, likely either Perform or Intimidate, to shout throught the activation. Maybe a CON check to see if you can keep shouting the whole time?