PDA

View Full Version : Seeking shows to watch.

Metahuman1
2016-10-20, 11:10 AM
So, I work a night shift were there's not a lot going on, and I've got a relatively easy load of classes to deal with right now.

I can get at netflicks and Hulu (though not much else.) at work, and have a lot of time to kill.

I need recommendations for things to watch. I need to 100% avoid sex, and the less fan service/skimpy clothing type stuff there is the better, none being preferable. My workplace does monitor net usage and if I'm compliant on that end of it they really don't care what I'm watching.

Darth Credence
2016-10-20, 04:31 PM
What are you interested in? Newer shows, older shows, comedies, sci-fi, fantasy? I'm going to guess sci-fi/fantasy based on the board. I believe that Dark Matter is on Netflix, and I've really enjoyed that. I am confidant there is no nudity, and I don't recall a lot of fan service, but that kind of washes over me so there may be some. If you have never watched Farscape, that is available on Hulu. It has a good amount of innuendo, and some stuff that might be considered fan service, but no nudity. If you skip the first few episodes of SG-1, then any of the Stargate series would probably work.

Peelee
2016-10-20, 05:26 PM
If you haven't seen Community, i highly recommend it. I just found it, and instantly fell in love with it. Whole series appears to be on Hulu.

Metahuman1
2016-10-21, 05:22 AM
Not overly fond of high levels of darkness usually. Like Sci-fi, Fantasy and action with comedy.

Morph Bark
2016-10-21, 05:42 PM
Since you mention Hulu, I assume you're in the US, so Netflix could have some different shows there, but I assume that for the most part they got all the shows we do over here.

If you like animated shows, Netflix has a ton of anime and cartoons, like Gravity Falls (top show imo), Code Geass (some nudity in the first episode, don't recall any later on), Kuromukuro (mecha with samurai in the present day, of a sort--I've only started recently--likewise also only with minor nudity in the first and maybe second episode), or Bojack Horseman (it's got decent comedy and good storytelling, medium darkness).

There's of course British shows like Sherlock and Doctor Who, and I've heard good things about Broadchurch.

For comedy, you got How I Met Your Mother, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Modern Family, and Orange is the New Black.

In sci-fi and fantasy, there's Stranger Things if you like an 80s horror setup--for as far as I've heard it's not all that dark--or Once Upon a Time if you really like fairytale/Disney stuff.

You could also try Marco Polo, it's pretty good.

Peelee
2016-10-22, 12:23 AM
Oh god, i can't stand Orange Is the New Black. Or, as i like to call it, Piper Is a Terrible Person who Is Always Wrong. Screw that lady.

Olinser
2016-10-22, 12:50 AM
Not overly fond of high levels of darkness usually. Like Sci-fi, Fantasy and action with comedy.

On the animated front one of my all time favorite comedy Sci Fi shows is Futurama. Full series is available on both Netflix and Hulu I believe.

On the bit older front I always liked Fringe (ended in 2013). It's kind of a modern X-Files with generally more humor. Walter is frigging hilarious.

Flash seasons 1 + 2 are on Netflix. Its got its down moments but its generally upbeat and positive.

Agents of Shield is pretty good as well, its got its dark points but generally on the upbeat side of things. I think 3 seasons are on Netflix right onw.

Dark Matter was mentioned, that's a pretty good series right now, seasons 1+2 are on Netflix.

SlyGuyMcFly
2016-10-22, 05:32 AM
I started Dark Matter a couple of days ago and definitely recommend it. I'm only 4 or 5 epiosodes in but it kinda feels like Lost meets Firefly in that you have the group of amnesiac strangers that wake up together in a strange environment but that are also a gang of hardened space-mercs with (mostly) hearts of gold who will in all probability be permanently broke. The characters seem to be getting more depth to flesh them out beyond the fairly eye-rolling stereotypes they appear to be at first glance.

It's not particularly dark although the violence is a bit graphic sometimes (blood sprays, the occasional gory wound) and the most fanservice I've seen so far is the female lead's habit of swinging her hips just that little bit more than necessary. No skimpy clothing, sex or nudity (partial or otherwise) so far.

Metahuman1
2016-10-22, 07:22 AM
That sounds like EXACTLY what I need.

I'm caught up on The Flash. I tried, I really tried, with Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow.

And I'm working on season 4 of Agents of Shield now.

I've also seen all Hulu has for Gravity Falls, Star vs. The Forces Of Evil and Steven Universe, all of which I've enjoyed immensely.

BRC
2016-10-24, 12:37 PM
I am sworn by ancient contract to recommend Leverage.

SlyGuyMcFly
2016-10-24, 02:16 PM
I am sworn by ancient contract to recommend Leverage.

Ooh, gotta second that. Amazingly fun show, that one.

Artemis97
2016-10-26, 08:56 PM
Leverage is good clean fun. Another show that I like, and is apparently on Hulu, is The Librarians. There's two seasons and there will soon be a third. Like Leverage, it's good clean fun and has a lot of silly literary references. I'll put a second vote to Fringe, it's creepy and squicky at some points, but it's a soldi sci-fi that starts off like a cop procedural and gets more complicated as it goes. Some of the later episides even have Leonard Nimoy in them. Once Upon a Time is also good, so I'll put another vote for that.

I wouldn't watch Orange is the New Black on a work computer. A lot of people like it, but it's got some sex and stuff in it. I didn't personally enjoy it, but to each their own.

Knaight
2016-10-27, 12:27 PM
I wouldn't watch Orange is the New Black on a work computer. A lot of people like it, but it's got some sex and stuff in it. I didn't personally enjoy it, but to each their own.

It has a great deal of sex in it - the requirements in the OP exclude it pretty thoroughly, particularly if it's read as to imply banning the implication of characters having sex as well as actual scenes of characters having sex. Absent that implication, I'd recommend Gilmore Girls. It's dialog focused, it's superficially wholesome*, and it's absolutely hilarious. I'm pretty sure that Deep Space Nine is also safe, on the sci-fi/fantasy side.

*In that it won't get caught by any of the obvious swearing/nudity/whatever metrics to any real degree.

BWR
2016-10-27, 01:26 PM
I'm working my way through "Space: 1999" and Blake's 7, so you might see if those are available. The former is in the same vein as classic Star Trek - episodic, weird stuff happens to the crew traveling through space. All sorts of weird aliens, space monsters, energy life forms etc. show up. The one drawback it has is that the commander is basically always right and everyone else exists to be at best expositionary or wrong. If you can overlook that, it's enjoyable.

Blake's 7 has been called the prototype for Firefly, though the similarities are not really that many. Yes, there is a ragtag bunch of misfits on the run from the evil Federation, but B7 is far darker and what humor there is has a blackish tinge. Some classic weirdo SF things occur as well. I'm only nine or so episodes in but I'm enjoying it.

cobaltstarfire
2016-10-27, 01:39 PM
Orange is the New Black also has a lot of non-sexual nudity (though yeah...lots of sex too).

I'm going to recommend Moribito:Guardian of the Spirit

If you like Magi, it looks like the Adventures of Sinbad is on netflix. I've only seen one episode of it so far though. I know that Magi did occasionally have nonsexual boobs, I don't know how things are in Adventures of Sinbad....maybe hold off till someone has watched it all I guess.

If you can tolerate silly cartoons that are obviously for small children and don't mind your coworkers giving you weird looks, Dinotrux on netflix is pretty fun.

I haven't been watching anything else new lately (been working my way through Star Trek TNG on netflix for the past month or two).

DoctorFaust
2016-10-27, 03:22 PM
I believe Galavant is on Netflix, which is a very Spamalot-y take on the fantasy genre.

lovablepal
2016-11-02, 08:17 AM
What about The Walking Dead?

Kislath
2016-11-02, 09:27 AM
Life on Mars, the American version. Don't watch the British version if you want to avoid some stuff.
The American version is great. Very trippy, it'll keep you guessing right up to the very end.

It's about a cop from 2014 who gets into a car crash and winds up in 1973. He's a cop again, but trying to be a modern cop in a time before any modern crimefighting methods were invented. He's also going crazy trying to figure out how he got there, and every week we get a new explanation... which turns out to be wrong.

The Librarians was already mentioned, and I'll second that. It's fantastic!

WKRP is a must-watch. If you haven't seen it, and if you can find it, put this one at the very top of the pile.
The Thanksgiving episode consistently makes all the top-25 lists of the funniest things ever televised.

M*A*S*H is a classic. It ran for 11 years for a good reason--> it's awesome.

Heck, have you ever seen Gilligan's Island? You probably have, since it holds many records for syndication distribution, but if you haven't, you should try it.

BiblioRook
2016-11-05, 06:59 PM
Another vote for Leverage, I adored that show. (Went as far as buying the novelizations when I can find them). It works well in leading into the Librarians too as one character almost all but in name transfers from one show to the other virtually unchanged.

Eureka is another huge favorite of mine that doesn't feel like is given enough attention, that show was fantastic but I never hear anyone talk about it. Warehouse 13 as well to a lesser degree (it kind of started losing me towards the end but the majority was still a very fun watch).
On the less serious side (not that ether of those are all that serious) there is Better Off Ted which is basically a mad science work-comedy.

Less on the sci-fi side of things if you like quirky mysteries I also feel like I should recommend Monk and Psych. Both are kind of the same kind of show but... different sides of the same coin so to speak. Think of if Oscar and Felix from the Odd Couple independently went into the Private Detective business.

Peelee
2016-11-05, 09:20 PM
Seconding Better Off Ted. That show was phenomel, and packed about as much content as they could in a show. Barely a few seconds for the opening, show plays through the end credits, and it's all very witty. Phil and Lem could have gotten a show all their own, especially with Dr. Bamba in the mix. Oh, that crazy Dr. Bamba.

cobaltstarfire
2016-11-06, 08:35 AM
I just finished the second season of Dark Matter.

The first season I think was clean (there are implications but it doesn't really show anything) The second season does show a little bit more, and might get you in trouble though.

Metahuman1
2016-11-08, 08:08 AM
What about The Walking Dead?

That will not be happening.

I'm on season 2 of dark matter. I'm wishing there had been more warning.

dinovo29
2016-11-11, 09:32 AM
Well I guess you don't want game of thrones, if you prefer to avoid sex (why, btw?). Have you tried Vikings? Just started it... looks great, if you are into nordic warrior stuff.

Flickerdart
2016-11-11, 01:50 PM
Seconding Better Off Ted. That show was phenomel, and packed about as much content as they could in a show. Barely a few seconds for the opening, show plays through the end credits, and it's all very witty. Phil and Lem could have gotten a show all their own, especially with Dr. Bamba in the mix. Oh, that crazy Dr. Bamba.
That show ended way too early.

Peelee
2016-11-11, 02:01 PM
That show ended way too early.

It was like Firefly, in a way. Highly critically acclaimed, loved by everyone who saw it, a lightning-in-a-bottle show, but the networks just didn't know how to advertise it and canceled when they still had heights to reach. At least Better Off Ted got a second season, but I wholly agree.

Though a silver lining is that there never was a drop in quality. I'm just now hitting season 6 in Community, and while I love that John Oliver is back, so much of the original cast is gone that even the good episodes are shadows of its former glory. Still, though, I hold out hope... six season and a movie!

Artemis97
2016-11-11, 08:05 PM
I don't know if it's on HULU, but Scorpion is a fun show. Follows a group of geniuses trying to solve problems every week. There's some really funny moments, this last week's episode had me rolling in the first ten minutes. Lots of technobabble, but there's a basis in reality. Will admit, sometimes the geniuses seem too smart, but that is the whole idea. Good clean fun, too.

Metahuman1
2016-11-11, 11:45 PM
Well I guess you don't want game of thrones, if you prefer to avoid sex (why, btw?). Have you tried Vikings? Just started it... looks great, if you are into nordic warrior stuff.

I work night shift. And there's precisely nothing going on about 98% of the time and the only reason they even have me there is so they can advertise 24 hour service.

Which leaves me with work computer and internet, and aside form a tiny spot of token paperwork most nights, nothing to do other then stay awake.

They don't care if I watch stuff, but conventional social media (Youtube, Facebook, ext.) are out, and if I watch stuff, they just don't want sex involved. Fair enough, I'm willing to comply with that.

Rodin
2016-11-12, 01:38 AM
I work night shift. And there's precisely nothing going on about 98% of the time and the only reason they even have me there is so they can advertise 24 hour service.

Which leaves me with work computer and internet, and aside form a tiny spot of token paperwork most nights, nothing to do other then stay awake.

They don't care if I watch stuff, but conventional social media (Youtube, Facebook, ext.) are out, and if I watch stuff, they just don't want sex involved. Fair enough, I'm willing to comply with that.

As a perennial night shift worker, I can even say why.

It's so a group of 3 VPs don't walk in the door behind you because the company was pushing out a big new piece of software that night and they needed somebody to test it.

Why no, that example was not suspiciously specific, why do you ask?

Peelee
2016-11-12, 02:31 PM

It's a bit odd that they don't mind streaming services like netflix, but disallow youtube, I'd think.

Peelee
2016-11-12, 07:12 PM
.....ohmygod. Over the Garden Wall. I just watched it. It is so damn good. I need to watch it again. Holy crap is amazing. Only ten episodes or so, each at like ten minutes. It's more like a movie broken into parts, but it's AMAZING. I don't know if it's streaming anywhere, but it's well worth looking for.