PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Oath of the Mage-Slayer: Paladin Oath by gavinator154

gavinator154
2016-10-20, 01:14 PM
Hey guys. I have been trying to design a class for a friend for a few days and I think I almost have it balanced, but I realized towards the end that I am better at balancing other mage classes as I understand them a bit better. So all help and criticism is readily accepted, especially if anyone has some ideas for 17th level oath spells.

(EDIT. Came back and decided to change this now that I have some more experience in the way of homebrewing. Should look a bit better

OATH OF THE MAGE-SLAYER
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Oath of the Mage-Slayer is not an oath that is generally taken lightly. Many take it and become paladins of war, specialized in taking out magical foes and artillery. Some take it in an attempt to keep the world at a better balance, using it against those who would unbalance it. And yet others do it in vengeance, swearing against spellcasters across the land. But no matter the reason, you have started down this path towards becoming an antimage, a fighter against those who would abuse magic. See to it that that abuse is put to an end.

TENANTS

The tenants of the Oath of the Mage-Slayer vary considerably, due to there being no widespread guild or group to their name. However, the following tenants are some of the more likely ones a Mage-Slayer may have, though they may have more personal tenants.

Magic is Sacred: Magic is a sacred force. Those who abuse it without regard for balance and good need to be stopped.

Magic is Powerful: Magic is a powerful force. It can be used as a plow or a sword. I will make sure it is the former.

Magic is Necessary: Magic is a natural force. Using it is necessary to combat those who would defile the world with it otherwise.

Magic is Evil: Some mage-slayers see magic as evil if it isn't granted by their god. They will not care your goals, only that you are stopped.

OATH SPELLS

You gain oath spells at the paladin levels listed.

OATH OF THE MAGE-SLAYER SPELLS
3rd: absorb elements, detect magic
5th: see invisibility, warding bond
9th: counterspell, protection from energy
13th: resilient sphere, aura of purity
17th: hallow, steel wind strike

CHANNEL DIVINITY

When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following Channel Divinity options.

Silence: As a bonus action after a successful hit on an enemy, you can attempt to Silence their words. When you do, present your holy symbol to force them to make a Constitution saving throw against your spell save DC. On a fail, the target can not speak or make any sound using their mouth for the next d6 + your Charisma modifier turns. The target may attempt the saving throw every at the end of each of their turns.

Dissipate: As a reaction to a spell being cast, you may attempt to force it to dissipate. Present your holy symbol, then roll a spell attack roll against their spell save DC. If the spell is at a spell slot higher than you can cast, you roll at a disadvantage. On a success the spell fizzles.

AURA OF DEFLECTION
Starting at 7th level, you have begun to keep your guard up at all times. When a spell makes a creature within the area of your Aura of Protection roll a saving throw against a magical effect to take only half damage, you instead take no damage if you succeed on the saving throw, and only half damage if you fail.

COUNTER VORTEX
At 15th level, your counterspells not only stop spells, but can harness their energy into your weapon. When you successfully counterspells, you may absorb it into your weapon. You gain half the spells level, rounded up, as a boost to weapon attack rolls 1 minute. For this minute, you can add the same boost to weapon damage once per turn. You may use this skill more than once, but may only gain the bonus from one counterspells at a time. If you capture another spell, you gain the new bonus for 1 minute, and the old bonus is lost.

CONTROLLED MANA
At 20th level, you can pull at the weaving of the mana in the world and wrap yourself with it. For the next minute, you become immune to elemental damage (fire, cold, lightning, acid, and poison) and resistant to all other magic damage and gain advantage against all spell saving throws. Your weapon and spell attack rolls ignore all magic resistances. For this minute, you can cast counterspell without using a spell slot as a 3rd level spell and without using your reaction. You must wait until you take a long rest to use this ability again.