PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next [Monk Fix] Super Really Quick Monk Fix

Secret Wizard
2016-10-20, 01:30 PM
So two big problems I've found with Monks is that they don't deal enough damage, and they are not good enough at grappling and shoving, which is supposed to be a thing they do well.

So at 9th level, I added this feature:

Flowing Blows
At 9th level, you've learnt how to combine speed and lethality. When attacking with an unarmed strike or a monk weapon, you add both your Strength modifier and your Dexterity modifier to damage.
Additionally, you may spend 1 ki point to make a grapple or shove attempt as a bonus action. You have advantage on this check.

Lalliman
2016-10-20, 02:52 PM
Flowing Blows is unlikely to give more than a +1 damage bonus due to how stat-intensive the monk already is. If you're just looking for a small damage bonus, I feel like it makes more sense to just boost the unarmed damage die, so it starts at d6 and ends at d12.

The other effect seems alright, but with low Str your chance of success still isn't going to be great, so it's questionable whether spending ki on it is worth it. You basically have to expend ki just to be on par with a Str fighter at grappling, and still worse than a barbarian. A fix that I feel like is fairly common is to let them use Dex for shoving and grappling, which strikes me as a superior option.

Venardhi
2016-10-24, 05:39 AM
Flowing Blows is unlikely to give more than a +1 damage bonus due to how stat-intensive the monk already is. If you're just looking for a small damage bonus, I feel like it makes more sense to just boost the unarmed damage die, so it starts at d6 and ends at d12.

The other effect seems alright, but with low Str your chance of success still isn't going to be great, so it's questionable whether spending ki on it is worth it. You basically have to expend ki just to be on par with a Str fighter at grappling, and still worse than a barbarian. A fix that I feel like is fairly common is to let them use Dex for shoving and grappling, which strikes me as a superior option.
My thoughts exactly.