PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Totemist natural attacks and Goliath Barbarian's Mountain Rage

Neowulf
2016-10-20, 03:00 PM
in upcoming campaigns I've been working on damage-heavy characters & Totemists and Barbarians are some of my favorite so far

for Goliath Barbarian:
the description of Mountain Rage says that all it really does is increase your size, reach, and stats based on your size (+2 STR, -1 on attack rolls & to AC) and I don't think I read anything about it counting as the same as rage for feats and I know I read that it doesn't increase weapon/armor size. What I want to know is if it does or doesn't qualify for the feats (extra rage, instantaneous rage, etc) and if damage increases the same as with other size increases

for Totemist:
because many of the Totemist soulmelds involve granting natural weapons, how would they interact with pre-existing natural weapons? do they stack? is it just use whichever has the highest damage roll? and if it has a certain effect, but you choose to use the damage roll of the other natural weapon, can you use the higher damage with the effects? (ex: kruthik claws on totem chakra granting the +1d4 of damage for each additional essentia going with your own claws)
also, are there rules for using the soulmelds while in an animal form?

Venger
2016-10-20, 03:30 PM
in upcoming campaigns I've been working on damage-heavy characters & Totemists and Barbarians are some of my favorite so far

for Goliath Barbarian:
the description of Mountain Rage says that all it really does is increase your size, reach, and stats based on your size (+2 STR, -1 on attack rolls & to AC) and I don't think I read anything about it counting as the same as rage for feats and I know I read that it doesn't increase weapon/armor size. What I want to know is if it does or doesn't qualify for the feats (extra rage, instantaneous rage, etc) and if damage increases the same as with other size increases

for Totemist:
because many of the Totemist soulmelds involve granting natural weapons, how would they interact with pre-existing natural weapons? do they stack? is it just use whichever has the highest damage roll? and if it has a certain effect, but you choose to use the damage roll of the other natural weapon, can you use the higher damage with the effects? (ex: kruthik claws on totem chakra granting the +1d4 of damage for each additional essentia going with your own claws)
also, are there rules for using the soulmelds while in an animal form?

I'm not sure about mountain rage counting for rage prereqs, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't.

It stacks normally for totemist and steps natural weapons up a size and stacks as normal with the totem avatar.

Andezzar
2016-10-20, 03:38 PM
No on the feat qualification for the Goliath barbarian:

Mountain rage replaces the standard barbarian’s rage ability,If rage is replaced, you don't have it anymore, so you do not qualify for anything that requires you to have rage.

Venger
2016-10-20, 03:42 PM
No on the feat qualification for the Goliath barbarian:
If rage is replaced, you don't have it anymore, so you do not qualify for anything that requires you to have rage.

was there ever an errata saying rage and its similars (ferocity, frenzy etc) were all the same, like how you can pool multiple sources of precision damage for ambush feats or similar? I feel like there was but I cant find it anywhere

Andezzar
2016-10-20, 03:47 PM
I don't remember seeing anything like that.

Neowulf
2016-10-20, 03:52 PM
I'm not sure about mountain rage counting for rage prereqs, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't.
I guess I'll just roll with it unless the DM says otherwise. if not, I might go with half-giant because I'll still get powerful build, I'm not humanoid, and I at least get naturally psychic

you know if the damage dice changes? (like something that does 2d8 now does 3d8 iirc the size chart)

It stacks normally for totemist and steps natural weapons up a size and stacks as normal with the totem avatar.
so if I was a totemist who took 3 levels of Fist of the Forest, I'd do the 1d10 damage from my claws, add whatever damage the other things do, and it's all stacking into me turning into a living woodchipper?

also, if I could wildshape or other similar abilities to turn into animals, would I be able to use the soulmelds in the animal form? like, can I be a monstrous looking Bear with Landshark everything, two extra arms, a dragon's tail, the chimera mask head, etc. etc.

Neowulf
2016-10-20, 03:55 PM
was there ever an errata saying rage and its similars (ferocity, frenzy etc) were all the same, like how you can pool multiple sources of precision damage for ambush feats or similar? I feel like there was but I cant find it anywhere

closest I could ever find was Whirling Frenzy & that's really the only one that says "This is treated like rage"

Venger
2016-10-20, 03:56 PM
I guess I'll just roll with it unless the DM says otherwise. if not, I might go with half-giant because I'll still get powerful build, I'm not humanoid, and I at least get naturally psychic

you know if the damage dice changes? (like something that does 2d8 now does 3d8 iirc the size chart)

so if I was a totemist who took 3 levels of Fist of the Forest, I'd do the 1d10 damage from my claws, add whatever damage the other things do, and it's all stacking into me turning into a living woodchipper?

also, if I could wildshape or other similar abilities to turn into animals, would I be able to use the soulmelds in the animal form? like, can I be a monstrous looking Bear with Landshark everything, two extra arms, a dragon's tail, the chimera mask head, etc. etc.

it would probably be prudent to invest in a sizing weapon to switch it to huge when you're in a mountain rage. if so, it goes up normally, but mountain rage on its own doesn't change your weapon size.

hypothetically yes, but you're better off taking more totemist.

being an animal does not impinge on your ability to do anything with soulmelds. you'll only be negatively affected if you turn into some kind of serpent or blob. what kinds of chakras you lose depending on form are spelled out on page 169-170 of magic of incarnum

Necroticplague
2016-10-20, 04:05 PM

Fist of the Forest increases the damage of your Unarmed Strikes, not your claw attacks.

Neowulf
2016-10-20, 04:08 PM
it would probably be prudent to invest in a sizing weapon to switch it to huge when you're in a mountain rage. if so, it goes up normally, but mountain rage on its own doesn't change your weapon size.

the problem is that I'll already be wielding a large-sized fullblade from Arms & Equipment Guide in 3.0 (it's treated as a martial weapon if I wield it two handed & can wield it normally as a creature with powerful build)

how much would it cost to have one made like that or to improve one to be like that? and would I be able to get both that and another enchantment (I wanted to have a Metalline fullblade)

Neowulf
2016-10-20, 04:09 PM
Fist of the Forest increases the damage of your Unarmed Strikes, not your claw attacks.

thanks. missed that

Venger
2016-10-20, 04:25 PM
the problem is that I'll already be wielding a large-sized fullblade from Arms & Equipment Guide in 3.0 (it's treated as a martial weapon if I wield it two handed & can wield it normally as a creature with powerful build)

how much would it cost to have one made like that or to improve one to be like that? and would I be able to get both that and another enchantment (I wanted to have a Metalline fullblade)

sizing is a flat 5k. it's on page 43 of the magic item compendium. it's not a +x weapon so won't affect other enchantments.