PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Looking for interesting low level items/rewards/loot

Platinius
2016-10-20, 05:07 PM
Hello fellow Playgrounder's

As a rather inexperienced DM, I am afraid of giving my players too much, too boring and/or too powerful stuff.
It is going to be in the Underdark with urban environments of varied financial and social levels, sewers, wilderness and underground water pools/streams.

I have already planned on giving them Pipes of the Sewers and a hookshot (pistol-sized, the rewind mechanism is not strong enough to pull someone up, not yet anyway) an item of my own creation.

I want stuff my players can really toy with that doesn't explode in their face (unless they deserve it)

What gear or items would you recommend? (own creations are also welcome)

willoftheway
2016-10-20, 05:35 PM
For interesting and fun lower end loot I've always been a huge fan of the robe of useful items and stormlure

Doorhandle
2016-10-20, 05:58 PM
Try an apparatus of the crab. It's highly impractical for any party that can actually afford it normally, as they have better options already. For a low level party with no other acess to underwater travel, lt'a a godsend. They could use it for crossing rivers, sneaking under moats, picking treasure off lake beds, all kinds of things.

As a bonus they can also use it as a bizzare mini-tank in battle... not that it's terribly threating in battle.

Coidzor
2016-10-21, 01:59 AM
Well, offhand I can think of a couple ideas, I suppose.

A Lesser Nightcaller's Whistle that animates a Tiny or smaller creature as a skeleton or zombie that can relate what it sees or that the user can see through the senses of for a few minutes at a time X times per day for a little disposable scout?

A Rod(?) of Necrotic Valet that lets the owner turn a mass of bones equivalent to a Small sized creature into a permanent, visible equivalent of an Unseen Servant that can do what's within an Unseen Servant's power as well as Aid Another, such as with certain skill checks.

Everfull Mugs from D&D 3.5 might be nice. Or a variant that only creates blood, to make them think to figure out how to actually make that work for them, beyond feeding any vampires they run into.

Platinius
2016-10-21, 05:50 PM
Thanks people, not just the actual tips you are giving me, but also for the ideas that I can take away from them:smallsmile:

hector212121
2016-10-22, 12:48 AM
What do you mean by 'low' level items?

In any case, as a special one time reward, might I suggest some trinket that has 1 charge of Breath of Life on it for each party member? Treat it as a single-charge use-activated item--values at 2250 gp, but that's cheaper than a raise dead, AND lets you right back in the fray!

Platinius
2016-10-22, 02:19 AM
my thought was player level 1-5

Selween
2016-10-22, 05:00 AM
In my opinion, the best rewards are personalized ones !

for example, in one of my recent campaigns, i created weapons & armors designed for my group of PC : they all enjoyed it so much that they kept these weapon from the beggining until the end, even though they weren't powerful enough compared to lv 8+ weapon they could obtain after that.

This was all about homebrew weapons, so if you prefer to stay in the rules just ignore my post :smallwink:

These weapons have been created for level 5 characters

Our barbarian orc obtained a ultra-dense hammer, (it's weight was about 20lbs).
In term of rules, it was a Large-sized greatclub with the adamantine property (ignore hardness unless it reaches 20 or more)

Our ranger got a one handed +1 scimitar that could make ranged blast attacks (1d6+dex) (like the zelda sword)
in term of rules, i handled the blast thing the same way i would handle a thrown weapon, 10ft range and a -2 penalty for every aditionnal 10ft.

Our necromancer wizard obtained a magic stick of hundred souls (name by me) : this stick imprisoned souls of ennemies, and could release thoses in a powerful negative energy attack.
each deafeted ennemy bring 1 point per hit dice to the stick (maximum 10 x CL of the user) and the user could use a full action to unleash theses souls one one ennemy, inflicting 1 damage per point stocked in the stick. (30 ft range)

Our rogue obtained an invisible +1 elfic sword, he could use it to make feint attacks as a swift action (instead of a move action) and obtain a +10 in sleight of hand to hide it, also the elfic thing allowed him to use weapon finesse on it (even so it was a rohka in term of rules)

Finally, our paladin obtained an armour with a holy symbol placed on the chest, this armor contained one resurrect spell usable only on the wearer once. Additionnaly, as long as the resurection spell wasn't used, the wearer permanently had a +1 luck bonus on all it's rolls as long as it was between 8AM and 8PM in the day.

I cannot guarantee these items were really balanced, but for sure it brought a lot of fun in our game !

Platinius
2016-10-22, 05:18 AM
Well I'll say, those are some nice personalizations. What was the maximum range of the masterscimitar?

Selween
2016-10-22, 05:23 AM
5 times the range increment, like a thrown weapon : 50ft =)

Coidzor
2016-10-22, 09:39 AM
Sword of Centy: This +1 Silversheen Longsword, when held aloft can be charged as a swift action, enveloping it in a ball of light that causes it to emit light as a torch. Attacking while the blade is charged ends this effect. Once the sword is charged, the wielder may, as a standard action, hurl the sword in a 20' line away from them, making an attack against each enemy in the area(or forcing a reflex save(for half?) against 10+CMB). At the beginning of the wielder's next turn, the sword returns, attacking enemies in a 20' line on its way back to the wielder's hand. If the wielder is beyond 20', the sword ceases to attack but continues on until it has traveled 100 feet or returned to its wielder. If the wielder's hands are full, it returns to the ground at their feet.