PDA

View Full Version : "Assassin" for a game loosely based on AL.

Arkhios
2016-10-20, 06:22 PM
So, I'm probably going to take part in a game that runs AL adventures by the AL rules, except for the ridiculous "PHB+one other source" rule and reporting (because screw them), and I've got this idea of a character, who comes from Thay and belongs to a cult dedicated to Asmodeus. Sort of a religious assassin, so probably going for Acolyte as background. The character is undeniably Evil, and belongs to the Zhentarim faction.

I'm fairly certain that I'll be taking levels both in Fighter and Rogue and that I'll use two-weapon fighting with short swords reflavored as Punching Daggers (not assassin's creed type, instead like katar's).

I'm pondering whether I should start as a rogue or fighter with Two-Weapon Fighting style. Both cases I'll probably take Dual Wielder. (No, I won't use rapiers instead, and that's final).

Another, "wild card" option might be going the Way of Shadow Monk, still using Short sword (although only one in this case), because of reasons given.

Herobizkit
2016-10-20, 07:33 PM
Asmodeus is pretty rad, but for a murder cult, wouldn't Bhaal (lord of murder), Shar (darkness and loss), Talona (disease/poison), or maybe Loviatar (pain) be more appropriate?

Mind you, being an Assassin of Asmodeus who hunts down people who bilk on their contracts would be AWESOME.

Also, any two m/c of Fighter, Rogue, or Monk is gold.

Draco4472
2016-10-20, 09:07 PM
I recommend starting as rogue for more skills, and it's not like an assassin would need heavy armor proficiency anyway.

Callin
2016-10-20, 09:39 PM
Depends on how soon you want off hand damage. The skills boost on a rogue at lvl 1 is nice but many are over rated. However getting stealth and all at lvl 1 is probably up your alley and the sneak attack will be on par with off hand damage till lvl 2 when you go fighter and then back to rogue to assassin. Then fighter 2 for round 1 nova action surge. Try to find a way to get poisoners kit prof and add extra dice for massive damage. Maybe from a snake familiar?

Or if you want go Ranger 3 BM and get a Flying Snake... lots of good things in Ranger plus an extra skill.

Arkhios
2016-10-20, 10:37 PM
Asmodeus is pretty rad, but for a murder cult, wouldn't Bhaal (lord of murder), Shar (darkness and loss), Talona (disease/poison), or maybe Loviatar (pain) be more appropriate?

Mind you, being an Assassin of Asmodeus who hunts down people who bilk on their contracts would be AWESOME.

That was the idea, yes. It's not about being a murderous lunatic zealot, instead more about having a reason to do it.

I believe I'll get 4th level of rogue as soon as possible, so Action Surge can wait.

Race is vHuman for various reasons, but primarily for the feat at first level. I would rather not have to worry about spell slots, so probably no ranger for me. Assassin gets poisoner's kit proficiency at 3rd level so that's a possibility. Although, if I stick to fighter/rogue Swashbuckler might be good as well to get out of melee if necessary and not lose off-hand attack for it.

Specter
2016-10-20, 10:46 PM
Cult of Asmodeus (non-god) immediately screams Warlock to me. In this case, Bladelock/Assassin. 3 rogue levels (or 4 if you need the ASI) and the rest on Fiendlock, not necessarily on that order. With two weapons and Hex you'll get plenty of chances to get that extra healing, and at Rogue 3/Warlock 5 you can deal at least 3d8+2d6+3d6+(dex X 4) on your turn. As a final build, I'd go Fiendbladelock 14/Assassin 4/Fighter 2.

Arkhios
2016-10-20, 11:19 PM
Cult of Asmodeus (non-god) immediately screams Warlock to me. In this case, Bladelock/Assassin. 3 rogue levels (or 4 if you need the ASI) and the rest on Fiendlock, not necessarily on that order. With two weapons and Hex you'll get plenty of chances to get that extra healing, and at Rogue 3/Warlock 5 you can deal at least 3d8+2d6+3d6+(dex X 4) on your turn. As a final build, I'd go Fiendbladelock 14/Assassin 4/Fighter 2.

Sorry if I sound a bit blunt, but to me being associated with a cult doesn't mean you have to be a warlock. As I said above, I'd rather not have to worry about spell slots. No matter how easily they'll recover. My approach to this concept was more mundane than magical. Monk is a bit on the gray area to be considered as a magic user, which is why I may consider that.

Edit: it's a cool idea though. Perhaps another time ;)

Arkhios
2016-10-21, 06:15 AM
I might be going by this rundown, stats being:
Str 10, Dex 15+1, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 13+1 (vHuman feat: Dual Wielder)
Rogue1 (I don't need either strength or Con saves desperately due to the lack of spellcasting and/or concentration dependent abilities)
Fighter2 (since TWF style is a rather vital part of this concept)
Rogue2 (cunning action is good to have asap)
Rogue3 (Assassin)
Rogue4 (+2 Dexterity)
Fighter2 (Action Surge)
Fighter3 (Champion seems fitting for a lunat....err, loyal worshiper of Asmodeus, plus who wouldn't like the extra chance of critical hits)
Fighter4 (+2 Dexterity)
Fighter5 (Extra Attack)
Fighter6 (+2 Charisma; a good assassin knows how to disguise and/or act an assumed role, or just be "persuasive")
Fighter7 (half-proficiency to non-proficient Str, Dex and Con ability checks can't be bad; especially since I'm not a Swashbuckler)
Fighter8 (+2 Charisma)
Rogue5 (I'm AFB but I seem to recall there was something else than just increased Sneak Attack)
Rogue6 (more expertise)
Rogue7
Rogue8 (+2 Charisma)

Klorox
2016-10-21, 07:37 AM
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?469125-GUIDE-Dealing-Death-Handbook-of-the-True-Assassin

Specter
2016-10-21, 07:58 AM
Sorry if I sound a bit blunt, but to me being associated with a cult doesn't mean you have to be a warlock. As I said above, I'd rather not have to worry about spell slots. No matter how easily they'll recover. My approach to this concept was more mundane than magical. Monk is a bit on the gray area to be considered as a magic user, which is why I may consider that.

Edit: it's a cool idea though. Perhaps another time ;)

Hey, no worries. Just spinning yarn here.

Going towards your concept, I'd pick Battlemaster instead of Champion, since Assassins auto-crit on surprise, and adding 2d8 to those crits would destroy many things. Also trade one of those late CHA bumps for Alert, it's a must for any assassin. That much Charisma can be waved by simply expertising Deception and Persuasion.

Asmotherion
2016-10-21, 08:05 AM

Been there, done that. Actually twice. Was an amazing experiance every time, my favorite character so far was the first incarnation of this, and my Forum Nickname comes after him. Ended up Fusing or Usurping Asmodeus (Not even he is sure of what happened).

You definitelly need to go Fiend Pact Warlock for it, even if you only take a 2-3 level dip. Both exceptionally Thematic, and Awesome. You can then take an other 2 level dip into Paladin (remember that asmodeus is your deity and you don't need to take an oath (thus having your DM create a special Oath just for you). Some levels of Fighter (if more than 3, go eldritch knight) might be good, and/or Rogue (Arcane Trickster). Ninja Monk can also be interesting. The rest of your levels Sorcerer.

Actually, any of this can work, without anything else, but I highly suggest the 2-3 Fiend Pact warlock pact, if only for thematic reasons. I could give you full builds if you're interested.

Personally, my first character to this was Asmotherion, Fiend Pact Warlock 2/Wizard X (High Elf, Lawful Evil)
Second atempt was Darkon Veil, Fiend Pact Warlock 2/Monk 1/Arcane Trickster Rogue X (Tiefling Variant [Wings], Lawful Evil). Surnamed "the ghost".

Wile the first one was as powerfull as they can get, and definitelly my favorite character so far, the second one was also a very fun experiance, and quite versalite. With his spells and way of playing, he was worthy of his "ghost" nickname, only getting hit once or twice per 2-3 sessions. Was a bit MAD, but totally worth playing.

Arkhios
2016-10-21, 08:32 AM
The character idea is actually quite old, having played a similar character in a Forgotten Realms 3.5 campaign as an Ascetic Rogue who could deal slightly less sneak attack even to undead (variant feature), combined with Decisive Strike variant Monk who worshipped Asmodeus (who, btw, despises undeath - IIRC he and Orcus were bitter rivals)
Instead of Flurry of Misses, he would pool up his flurry of blows damage potential into one Decisive Strike as a full-round action, if memory serves me right, he was at 14th level able to strike 2d8+7d6+huge amount of flat damage with one hit. I almost assassinated a really powerful Vampire or something with a single critical hit, but the bastard rolled a natural 20 (which I was able to see with my own eyes) against massive damage. Although the strike was a failure, the damage was so much that instead of standing up and fight me, the vampire decided to vaporize and flee.

One attack before combat had even begun well spent, eh? :P

The campaign was cut short and I couldn't play the character much further so it lingered at the back of my head.

I appreciate the thought of providing full builds, but having built probably hundreds of builds myself throughout the editions, I'm confident that I am able to come up with my own.

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-10-21, 08:58 AM
Is this Asmodeus fellow a deity of the Forgotten Realms? If not, he's not somebody you can pick as a deity in a strictly AL game. That just got changed recently for AL, that your deity has to be a Forgotten Realms deity.

Arkhios
2016-10-21, 09:07 AM
Is this Asmodeus fellow a deity of the Forgotten Realms? If not, he's not somebody you can pick as a deity in a strictly AL game. That just got changed recently for AL, that your deity has to be a Forgotten Realms deity.

If I'm not getting anything concrete from a deity, who cares which entity I serve?

Edit: although, according to SCAG, Asmodeus is the God of Indulgence among Faerunian Pantheon. Pathfinder's Asmodeus isn't uniquely theirs, it's been part of various other settings long before Pathfinder's release. Forgotten Realms included.

Arkhios
2016-10-21, 05:32 PM
I feel guilty of having second thoughts about multiclassing into a Chain Pact Warlock to get an Imp called Ossiburu. :smalltongue: