PDA

View Full Version : Find Steed Mount!

SMac8988
2016-10-20, 06:42 PM
So my DM is giving me a but of flexiablity with my find steed mount from hitting level 5 in paladin. We are currently in curse of strhad and I'm about to go to 5th level pally, 3 level barb.

Firstly I'm debating if great weapon master or mounted combat is the better feat. I'm the main front line for my group, with a two weapon fight who is only there every other session. Figure the mounted combat would give me a bit of mobility and depending on the mount could play back to his barbaian past.

I was also looking for suggestions on a cool mount. I can go up to cr 2, but no flight or swim speed was his rule as of now.

Thanks in advance! !!

Sigreid
2016-10-20, 11:08 PM
Owlbear maybe?

Arkhios
2016-10-21, 12:18 AM
Dire Wolf could be rad. CR 1.

SMac8988
2016-10-21, 01:17 AM
I'm running a half orc, great weapon user. So thinking something with charge or trample could be really beneficial since I could just lay into thrm if they get prone or just pass by hut after the trample.

Don't know what all has that though.

nilshai
2016-10-21, 07:14 AM
Giant Boar, Rhino or Sabertooth Tiger. None have Swim and all have Charge or Pounce, also bonus points for being op.
The Sabertooth Tiger has the nice option of eating your victims infront of their allies and can be equiped with up to 4 lasers guns.

http://www.figurerealm.com/galleries/dinoriders/SabreToothTiger1-IceAge.jpg

SMac8988
2016-10-21, 09:12 AM
Giant Boar, Rhino or Sabertooth Tiger. None have Swim and all have Charge or Pounce, also bonus points for being op.
The Sabertooth Tiger has the nice option of eating your victims infront of their allies and can be equiped with up to 4 lasers guns.

http://www.figurerealm.com/galleries/dinoriders/SabreToothTiger1-IceAge.jpg

Boar could eat people to, in a much more graphic manner, cept I'm lawful good and feel I wouldn't use that particular tactic

Maxilian
2016-10-21, 09:29 AM
Boar could eat people to, in a much more graphic manner, cept I'm lawful good and feel I wouldn't use that particular tactic

But that doesn't mean that they will, they are also a common mount for Orcs, so it goes nicely (Note: the idea of your mount eating people can happen with almost anything, just teach it what its food and what its not)

nilshai
2016-10-21, 10:13 AM
Giant Boar is definitely nice with an orc on board. Though i couldn't find any boars with lasers...
With such a durable mount, Mounted Combatant would surely be worth it. Also, Strahd doesn't sound much like situations in which you cannot fight on your mount.

Maxilian
2016-10-21, 10:18 AM
Giant Boar is definitely nice with an orc on board. Though i couldn't find any boars with lasers...
With such a durable mount, Mounted Combatant would surely be worth it. Also, Strahd doesn't sound much like situations in which you cannot fight on your mount.

Oh, i'm playing a character like that (not mounted, but with Lasers, i could be a Boar with Lasers but it doesn't work as well)

A monk SS multiclasses with Druid, you can be any animal that shoots lasers! (Better if you take something with a nice DEX -like the Flying Snake (Tiny creature that have 80 flying speed and also have Flyby -and as a monk you get extra 10 feets of movement-) so sign me up!

OT: In most cases you won't need to use your mount to attack (It will basically be a way to get extra movement, and take advantage of those that are smaller than you thanks to your mount)

SMac8988
2016-10-21, 11:38 AM
Oh, i'm playing a character like that (not mounted, but with Lasers, i could be a Boar with Lasers but it doesn't work as well)

A monk SS multiclasses with Druid, you can be any animal that shoots lasers! (Better if you take something with a nice DEX -like the Flying Snake (Tiny creature that have 80 flying speed and also have Flyby -and as a monk you get extra 10 feets of movement-) so sign me up!

OT: In most cases you won't need to use your mount to attack (It will basically be a way to get extra movement, and take advantage of those that are smaller than you thanks to your mount)

The big thing is since it's a find stead mount, either of us holds our action and we attack together. 2d6 gore+2d6 from the charge, +my damage from my attacks. And throw smite in there. And if I get mounted, add advantage for the crit chance. Seems pretty legit and flows well with the character

SpectralTime
2016-10-21, 11:42 AM
If you wanna rock that Gothic flavor, I like the giant spider. And climb speeds are deeply underrated.

Maxilian
2016-10-21, 11:44 AM
The big thing is since it's a find stead mount, either of us holds our action and we attack together. 2d6 gore+2d6 from the charge, +my damage from my attacks. And throw smite in there. And if I get mounted, add advantage for the crit chance. Seems pretty legit and flows well with the character

As far as i know the Find Steed Mount can't act as an independant creature while you're mounting it (because of How the spell Find Steed works -You're basically the same unit-)

Maxilian
2016-10-21, 11:45 AM
If you wanna rock that Gothic flavor, I like the giant spider. And climb speeds are deeply underrated.

Now combine Climb Speed with a cantrip or spell that pull the enemy to you, Damage of the spell/cantrip + Falling damage + Prone

nilshai
2016-10-21, 03:23 PM
As far as i know the Find Steed Mount can't act as an independant creature while you're mounting it (because of How the spell Find Steed works -You're basically the same unit-)

Nono, the steed gets intelligence and the paragraph you are refering to just means, that rider and steed work perfectly together, or in other words, the steed is supposed to do what the player wants it to do. Otherwise the restriction would've been made clear, especially with that intelligence going on.

Now combine Climb Speed with a cantrip or spell that pull the enemy to you, Damage of the spell/cantrip + Falling damage + Prone

Cool idea, i missed that Climb Speed was allowed. Female Steeder can grab people, jump 90ft and drop the poor fellas, while you give them your great weapon to the face.
Also 90ft jumping movement is crazy.