PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Advice running a High-Magic campaign

Sabeta
2016-10-21, 12:47 AM
Hey Playground. I would like some quick insight on a campaign I'll be running in a month or two.

Essentially, the world is one which is High Magic; however I won't be changing the spell-tables at all. The gist of it all is that I'll be discarding the Weave concept in favor of an energy source that can be freely understood and tapped into. To the point that mages have discovered a way to, relatively easily, store spells into gemstones. This has lead to a few basic inventions coming about, but for the players they'll basically have the ability to build their own magic weapons. Here are the rules of how it all works.

Spells can be stored in Crystals, and used freely. This is distinct from Scrolls because the Crystal will recharge; how long it takes depends on the level of the spell.
The size and cost of the crystal required depend heavily on the level of the spell. This is important in armor customization, and also gives the players more things to spend gold on.
The simplest application of a crystal is the ability to cast the spell stored inside. Cantrips recharge instantly, 1st level requires a short rest, 2nd level requires a long rest, and 3rd level requires a day. 4th level spells and above are so large and powerful that they do not appear on the open market. They CAN be commissioned, but it's unlikely the players would be able to afford them until long after its usefulness. With current technology, Crystals can only be used to store up to 5th level spells.

Any normal, store-bought weapon contains up to three slots with which crystals can be socketed into. However, these sockets are only sized for Cantrip levels. Doing so removes the spellcasting feature of the crystal, but instead grants it a variety of effects based on what was put in. If your Cantrip does damage as its primary feature then your weapon's damage becomes the cantrips. ie: Slotting Firebolt into a Greatsword makes it do Flame damage instead of Slash.
Most other spells add +1 to hit chance and damage.
Sockets can be upgraded, but doing so removers one socket. I'm not entirely sure what an upgraded socket would be used for, but my immediate thought is for Magic Item effects.
Armor works similarly, but instead grants Advantage on Saves caused by that damage type. Firebolt for example would grant you advantage on Dex Saves versus Fireball. Most anything else grants

Last but not least. Several spells do not exist in Crystal Form. Things that are exclusively tied to a patron (ie: Eldritch Blast) or divinity (ie: Wrathful Smite) cannot be stored. In addition to that, mind-altering magic is completely outlawed in this world. It exists, players can learn it, but crystals containing it will be both exceptionally rare and highly coveted black-market items. Mages in general are also required to get a license to cast, and most cities have laws that prevent magic from being cast in town.

I'm pretty dead-set on using this system or a similar one, but I would like the playground to try and really break this system. I'd like to know ahead of time how this could potentially be abused, as well as how powerful it may or may not be. I admit that I haven't completely thought this out, so don't hold back. I'd also appreciate any ideas or suggestions on how you would improve it, or if you even think such a system would be fun. I'm especially interested in player responses on things such as "how do wizards feel about the potential for everyone in the party to have access to a free fireball/day"

Asmotherion
2016-10-21, 01:13 AM
It's not a bad idea, but I would go on to plan it more. Basically magic items should be banned (except perhaps for legendary items and some ancient legendary items of old magic). You can then make the gems have a set caster level for augmentations. I would also make it so that for a player to fully utilise the weapon his character level should match the weapons or it only works at the appropriate level.

Second of all I like the cantrip idea. I would also make it so some 1 and up to second spells could be cast at will by investing slots to a gem of augmented mana suply or something. 1 for a first level spell 2 for a second level.

For a 3rd level spell and above this gems could either extend the use to 3 per day with one slot and 7 per day with 2 slots. This will prevent players from all having multy functional slots, and gaining interest in investing in quality over quantity (or the reverse).

A really abusable (and obvious) combination would be Bboming Blade+Green Flame Blade+Shocking Grasp on the same weapon. Deals a lot of consistant damage (10d8 elemental damage), and nothing prevents it's abuse from a (for example's sake) Eldritch knight (two weapon fighting and 2 of those weapons) 11 Paladin 2 Sorcerer 7 from becoming death incarnate. With quick calculations I think he deals 192d8+60 or something as nova damage (with divine smite+action surge) and then has a consistant 66d8+30 damage source.

Sabeta
2016-10-21, 08:40 PM
I hadn't actually considered the potential for players to readily purchase +3 without enormous prices associated with even cantrips. In that case I'll make the following revision

-> Effects do not Stack.

This means that higher level spells can reach +3, while can trips can't get to +1 anymore. The reason I won't let Augmented weapons cast is to force a choice upon players. The Fighter can gain access to a +3 Fireaxe, or the ability to Fireball once per day. The gems are completely useless on their own by the way. To cast them as spells they need to be slotted into an Arcane Focus or similar tool.

I should have mentioned, but normal spellcaster rules are in effect with gems. Even if one could set all of those can trips onto a weapon there's no way to cast all three in a turn.

Herobizkit
2016-10-23, 03:57 PM
5e already has at least one item that can store and re-cast spells...

RING OF SPELL STORING
Ring, rare (requires attunement)

This ring stores spells cast into it, holding them until the attuned wearer uses them. The ring can store up to 5 levels worth of spells at a time. When found, it contains 1d6 — 1 levels of stored spells chosen by the DM.

Any creature can cast a spell of 1st through 5th level into the ring by touching the ring as the spell is cast. The spell has no effect, other than to be stored in the ring. If the ring can't hold the spell, the spell is expended without effect. The level of the slot used to cast the spell determines how much space it uses.

While wearing this ring, you can cast any spell stored in it. The spell uses the slot level, spell save DC, spell attack bonus, and spellcasting ability of the original caster, but is otherwise treated as if you cast the spell. The spell cast from the ring is no longer stored in it, freeing up space.

Also, I also love Materia and my current DM has allowed for slotted weapons. This can and does work.

Pex
2016-10-23, 04:47 PM
Clarify that a weapon with a crystal counts as magical.

One of my personal angsts against 4E magic weapons is that they only changed the "color". For example, a flaming sword did the same thing as a regular sword only it was fire damage. It essentially meant the sword did nothing special for the majority of the warrior's fighting career and useless against foes resistant/immune to fire. It only shined in the rare cases a foe was vulnerable to fire. Therefore, as a hypothetical player in your game, putting a Fire Bolt crystal into a sword just to make it do fire damage is meaningless. The fact that 5E makes a distinction of some monsters resistant to non-magical weapons but my now flaming sword would count as magical is something, so it's not a complete waste of funds. However, the weapon is still useless against all those creatures resistant or immune to fire. I'd have to use another weapon, so expect players to carry around a collection of magic weapons.

Solution: Don't change the color of the damage. Have it behave like published items. One Fire Bolt crystal makes the weapon magical and deals +1d6 fire damage. Fire resistant creatures don't care about the 1d6, but the weapon itself is still hurting them because it's magical doing damage as normal. Two Fire Bolt crystals in the sword ignores resistance but not immunity. Three Fire Bolt crystals makes it +2d6 fire damage.

If a sword has one Fire Bolt crystal and one Shocking Grasp crystal, then the warrior must choose between +1d6 fire or +1d6 lightning damage, Bonus Action to activate.

Side benefit: With warriors having access to a means of doing extra damage, the desire/need for Great Weapon Master feat is lessened if that was a problem for you. It's still a good feat to have for those who want it, but now not everyone is going to get it for dishing out the damage.

Sabeta
2016-10-23, 06:41 PM
I was worried this thread would die with only one response, so thank you guys.

@Hero:I'm aware of Spell-Storing Rings. In this world it's essentially on a mass-produced scale which has allowed for rapid advancement in technology. I've seen a lot of game-systems use similar things as the Gems, and Materia is probably one good example. I've also scene it called Augments and Orbments. The benefit here is that it's more readily available to Martials, but also provides a number of plot conveniences. Fireplaces can now be powered on by Create Bonfire. Airships are possible with several uses of Fly, etcetera. For players, it's basically just Materia, but for the world it's a wondrous new technology whose upper limits have yet to be discovered.

@Pex: Making it a magic item was going to be part of the package, of course. I don't think I'm going to give it bonus damage right away, but perhaps let it do extra damage on Crits or something. To prevent players from carrying an entire Armory they'll have the ability to remove the gems from weapon slots. However I don't want it to be so easy that there's no risk or reward. I'm thinking of making it take a short or long rest, as well as proficiency in related tools (ie, Blacksmithing Proficiency to set/remove the gems on armor and steel weapons.) This way the Flameaxe Wielding Barbarian can swap out for a different gem if he knows we're heading to a volcano, but has to think on his toes if I throw a bunch of fire elementals at him.

Herobizkit
2016-10-23, 08:13 PM
For the record, your idea has lots of merit and I can't wait to see what comes of it.