PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Bag of Holding Shenanigans

Kel'Tarusk
2016-10-21, 01:49 AM
Hey there guys, new member here with a question.

I've been playing D&D for 16 years now and for some reason have never attempted to create an environment suitable for life inside of a bag of holding.
Obviously for a medium creature the bag would have to be higher than level one since that would give it enough space for a player or follower inside.

My question here is one I can't seem to find an answer to. WITHOUT using any of the MSRD futuristic technology, how would I go about maintaining an oxygen rich environment that a humanoid can survive in for days at a time. Mainly for storing my warlock follower as he can get a bit out of hand with my DM playing him for me.

Any viable theories that can be backed up with rules as written or are sound enough to be used for persuading my DM into allowing it are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cerefel
2016-10-21, 01:52 AM
If you can get your friend to breathe water, then a Decanter of Endless Water could work. I don't know of any item that produces unlimited air.

Kel'Tarusk
2016-10-21, 02:01 AM
If you can get your friend to breathe water, then a Decanter of Endless Water could work. I don't know of any item that produces unlimited air.

I thought of this, but I was hoping there would be another way so we could store objects such as furniture for a more luxurious living quarters.

I was thinking I MAY be able to use an air elemental to my advantage here to produce the air required for breathing, but I believe my DM would just throw that idea out completely. I do, however, have the ability to summon an outsider with a level >= my character level from any plane of existence once per day. Doing that I was going to try and pay for a higher level circle of holding (basically a holding spell to bind the elemental) in a corner of the "room," but the DM said "I won't allow you to trap an elemental."

BUT, the water idea gives me another idea. I may be able to create a retaining wall in the middle of the "room" and fill it with enough water to keep some algae alive as algae would, in theory, produce enough oxygen for a human to comfortably survive in the space.

Thanks for your input Cerefel!

the_david
2016-10-21, 02:04 AM
Locking up your cohort isn't going to do your leadership score any good, even if he is annoying. I'd strongly advice you not to.

Now as for pouring water into a bag of holding to substitute for air. It just doesn't work that way. Water holds less oxygen so you'd suffocate even faster.

Bohandas
2016-10-21, 02:05 AM
How about a plant under some kind of time or metabolism altering effect

Cerefel
2016-10-21, 02:08 AM
A few things

1- The idea wasn't just pouring in some water and letting it go stagnant. The idea was to use a decanter of endless water to get a constantly refreshing supply

2- If you want to make a watery environment comfortable, then just make the furniture out of waterproof materials

3- There are some races that don't need to breathe such as Warforged, Necropolitans, Air Gnomes, and Air Goblins.

Kel'Tarusk
2016-10-21, 02:10 AM
Locking up your cohort isn't going to do your leadership score any good, even if he is annoying. I'd strongly advice you not to.

Now as for pouring water into a bag of holding to substitute for air. It just doesn't work that way. Water holds less oxygen so you'd suffocate even faster.

I realize it isn't going to do my leadership score any good, but I may not only use it on my follower. I could use it myself, or a party member who is injured and requiring a place to rest if we're nowhere near a healer/out of potions/have no healing abilities available.

I just think it would be a neat addition to my characters arsenal. I do happen to have a demi-plane thanks to the deck of many things, but I don't want to use it for living creatures.

the_david
2016-10-21, 02:10 AM
Oh, and if you completely fill your Bag of Holding with water, it will rupture...

Kel'Tarusk
2016-10-21, 02:12 AM
A few things

1- The idea wasn't just pouring in some water and letting it go stagnant. The idea was to use a decanter of endless water to get a constantly refreshing supply

2- If you want to make a watery environment comfortable, then just make the furniture out of waterproof materials

3- There are some races that don't need to breathe such as Warforged, Necropolitans, Air Gnomes, and Air Goblins.

1) Guessing that was in reply to the other member?

2) I could do that for sure, it would just cost more than swiping stuff from a dungeon or ruins haha.

3) I sadly don't have any followers or party members that happen to be any of these races.

Kel'Tarusk
2016-10-21, 02:13 AM
Oh, and if you completely fill your Bag of Holding with water, it will rupture...

Yeah, a Bag of Holding I can only contain 30 gallons of water I believe, but a higher level bag of holding can contain more than that without rupturing, maybe even enough to make it a viable option.

Kel'Tarusk
2016-10-21, 02:14 AM
How about a plant under some kind of time or metabolism altering effect

Thanks Bohandas. I was thinking about using algae to produce the oxygen necessary after Cerefel brought up water. I'm a little ashamed to not have thought of it beforehand.

Cerefel
2016-10-21, 02:17 AM
Finding a way to dispose of excess water from the decanter method is definitely an issue, but a solvable one.

Kel'Tarusk
2016-10-21, 02:20 AM
Finding a way to dispose of excess water from the decanter method is definitely an issue, but a solvable one.

Yeah, I could definitely find a way around that without any issue.

unseenmage
2016-10-21, 03:37 AM
Planar Ring Gates from the Planar Handbook and judicious use of the squeezing rules was how I overcame a similar issue.

With enough P. Ring Gates you could theoretically create an entire transportation system through multiple extradimensional storage spaces.

An entire subecosystem could even emerge as vermin and plant life start to transmigrate through your gate system.

Add Portable Holes, Enveloping Pits (MIC), and Handy Haversacks to the mix and now there's room enough for all of your followers too.

See my sig for a thread about squeezing tons of Construct or Undead minions into extradimensional storage. They don't breath so you can cram quite a few in there.

Oh, and Resetting Custom Magic Traps are your friend. Simple cantrips and 1st level spells will do a lot (if not all) of your micro terraforming if affixed to resetting traps.

Necroticplague
2016-10-21, 03:59 AM
Bottle of Air is made for pretty much these exact types of purposes.

Mordaedil
2016-10-21, 04:18 AM
If you put a bonzai tree in a bag of holding, will it create a Miyagi?

Klara Meison
2016-10-21, 04:23 AM
Hey there guys, new member here with a question.

I've been playing D&D for 16 years now and for some reason have never attempted to create an environment suitable for life inside of a bag of holding.
Obviously for a medium creature the bag would have to be higher than level one since that would give it enough space for a player or follower inside.

My question here is one I can't seem to find an answer to. WITHOUT using any of the MSRD futuristic technology, how would I go about maintaining an oxygen rich environment that a humanoid can survive in for days at a time. Mainly for storing my warlock follower as he can get a bit out of hand with my DM playing him for me.

Any viable theories that can be backed up with rules as written or are sound enough to be used for persuading my DM into allowing it are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ring of Sustenance+Necklace of Adaptation works in Pathfinder, though I don't know if these items exist in other editions.

Satinavian
2016-10-21, 04:26 AM
As most of the time, undeath is a possible answer.

I rebember we carried whole skelleton armies in portable holes.

Kel'Tarusk
2016-10-21, 04:31 AM
Planar Ring Gates from the Planar Handbook and judicious use of the squeezing rules was how I overcame a similar issue.

With enough P. Ring Gates you could theoretically create an entire transportation system through multiple extradimensional storage spaces.

An entire subecosystem could even emerge as vermin and plant life start to transmigrate through your gate system.

Add Portable Holes, Enveloping Pits (MIC), and Handy Haversacks to the mix and now there's room enough for all of your followers too.

See my sig for a thread about squeezing tons of Construct or Undead minions into extradimensional storage. They don't breath so you can cram quite a few in there.

Oh, and Resetting Custom Magic Traps are your friend. Simple cantrips and 1st level spells will do a lot (if not all) of your micro terraforming if affixed to resetting traps.

Checking it out now, thanks for your input man.

Kel'Tarusk
2016-10-21, 04:33 AM
Bottle of Air is made for pretty much these exact types of purposes.

I thought about that, but if the character is asleep (unless they fashion the bottle around their face) they won't be able to properly use the bottle of air.

Darrin
2016-10-21, 05:18 AM
I thought about that, but if the character is asleep (unless they fashion the bottle around their face) they won't be able to properly use the bottle of air.

That's why you add a Wind Pipe (7000 GP, Stormwrack) to the Bottle of Air.

Klara Meison
2016-10-21, 05:45 AM
That's why you add a Wind Pipe (7000 GP, Stormwrack) to the Bottle of Air.

Or you just make a Necklace of Adaptation, which is cheaper than that combination while doing the same job.

AnachroNinja
2016-10-21, 07:20 AM
Necklace of adaptation creates an area of breathable air with no other limitations, so even in a completely sealed environment it works fine.

I know I'm not the first person to mention it, but man it took a while to come up.

Kel'Tarusk
2016-10-21, 03:29 PM
Honestly I'm ashamed that I didn't know about the necklace of adaptation, but I'm definitely just going to use that since it seems to be the best option here.

Thanks a bunch to all of you that replied.

Inevitability
2016-10-21, 04:03 PM
I recommend making the bag in question out of riverine (extra cost: 2000 GP/pound), which would make it nearly impossible to tear the bag.

Even if you can't look through the bag's outside (which would honestly be pretty weird optics-wise) you still have a view of (presumably) the Astral Plane from within.

Extra Anchovies
2016-10-21, 11:31 PM
Necklace of Adaptation can fall off, takes up the amulet slot, and only helps one character. Bottle of Air + Wind Pipe is the way to go for enclosed spaces, because you can stick it in a tiny forcecage and forget about it.

For things like food, water, gravity, temperature control, and so forth, you may want to check out this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?387930-GitP-Builds-a-Space-Station).

What's the shape of the interior of a bag of holding? Is it spherical? Cuboid? Deformable? For coolness purposes I think it should appear as a flat plain on which the objects placed in it are sitting in a big heap - when the bag is opened a hole opens up and someone's hand comes through to sort through the objects. If you're quick you can chop their hand off and convince them that they've found a Bag of Devouring :smalltongue: