PDA

View Full Version : The Accountant.

gomipile
2016-10-21, 02:48 AM
I went to see The Accountant with friends. We all liked it quite a lot, possibly for different but not opposing reasons.

The main idea of the film was handled much better than I was expecting. It also pleasantly surprised me with the directions of the plot threads and character arcs.

I give it a solid 8/10.

I've got other comments, but I'll probably put those in spoilers in further posts if this thread gets a bit of traction.

Swenner
2016-10-21, 03:25 AM
Hmmm. I didn't enjoy this film.

gomipile
2016-10-21, 08:53 AM
Hmmm. I didn't enjoy this film.
That doesn't mean you watched it. Did you?

Lethologica
2016-10-21, 01:31 PM
I'm not generally a big fan of Hollywood portraying autism as a superpower with the Social Awkwardness flaw, but it worked well enough for this movie, especially since they didn't just rely on that. Also, it felt like the writers cared, with the talk about stimming and the way the autistic characters were portrayed as kids. One thumb up on that score.

I didn't particularly like that Medina's assignment was given as "do this or go to prison," though I understand why they did it.

The final fight was boring and kinda lazy. Just a lot of stuntwork, not a lot of story. Well, not until the end, but by then the tension was all gone anyway.

I did like that Dana Cummings wasn't just helpless against the home invaders. I laughed when she used the toilet tank cover as a weapon--it felt real. Her home was about three times the size of what her salary would probably bear, but that's a nitpick and a half.

And of course the revelation about the identity of Wolff's partner in crime was pretty satisfying.

gomipile
2016-10-22, 04:59 AM
I'm not generally a big fan of Hollywood portraying autism as a superpower with the Social Awkwardness flaw, but it worked well enough for this movie, especially since they didn't just rely on that. Also, it felt like the writers cared, with the talk about stimming and the way the autistic characters were portrayed as kids. One thumb up on that score.

True, though in this case his autism wasn't his superpower, the father wanted to train both sons to be Batman anyway. The closest they got to the autistic superpower was the use of the Aspergers' auditor trope, which is partially Truth in Television. I suppose one could argue that his autism affected his ability to focus on being a Batman, which is why he was always a better fighter than his brother, similar to Sherlock Holmes.

It got to the edge of the trope, yes, but I like the way they handled it.

I didn't particularly like that Medina's assignment was given as "do this or go to prison," though I understand why they did it.

The final fight was boring and kinda lazy. Just a lot of stuntwork, not a lot of story. Well, not until the end, but by then the tension was all gone anyway.

I did like that Dana Cummings wasn't just helpless against the home invaders. I laughed when she used the toilet tank cover as a weapon--it felt real. Her home was about three times the size of what her salary would probably bear, but that's a nitpick and a half.

And of course the revelation about the identity of Wolff's partner in crime was pretty satisfying.

Framing Medina's assignment that way might have been because if she refused after learning what Ray King (J.K. Simmons) told her, if she refused he'd have to discredit her anyway. He just decided to be super blunt about it and not explain himself, maybe? Eh? It was squicky though, to be sure.

The final fight was intentionally a bit boring, I thought. That, because Brax (Jon Bernthal) had written off his employer and entire squad by that point, as soon as he suspected who was after them. And I absolutely loved how that led directly into the their conversation. I loved the <<REDACTED>> out of that conversation.

Dana's salary might have been artificially high because of Lamar Black's (John Lithgow) savior complex. Paying his employees exceptionally well would help assuage his guilt and feed his vision of himself as being the good guy.

Also, I didn't get who Wolff's partner in crime was until just now. That's great. Thank you for that.

Kislath
2016-10-24, 11:36 PM
Wait...was this movie actually good? All the critics, reviewers and Rotten Tomatoes all said it was terrible. Should I go see it after all?

Lethologica
2016-10-25, 12:47 AM
It's okay. You're not going to remember it the next week, though.

gomipile
2016-10-25, 09:46 AM
You're not going to remember it the next week, though.

That's a bit presumptuous, innit?

Lethologica
2016-10-25, 12:13 PM
That's a bit presumptuous, innit?
Yes and no. First, it's mostly just a colorful way of saying "forgettable", so although it superficially presumed someone else's opinion, it doesn't do so in a meaningful way. Second, while it apparently offers presumptuous judgment without warrant, I have previously demonstrated that I have watched the movie and have at least a decent understanding of what happened, so my assertion is not entirely without warrant even though no reasoning accompanied it.

Kislath
2016-10-26, 12:27 AM
Okay. I saw it. I liked it. It was good. I'll remember it next week.

Ruslan
2016-10-28, 04:02 PM
It's a pretty good Batman/Rainman crossover.

gomipile
2016-10-28, 06:19 PM
It's a pretty good Batman/Rainman crossover.

Batman vs. Punisher too.