PDA

View Full Version : Prestidigitation and Reloading in Pathfinder

Poblobo
2016-10-21, 02:50 AM
I have a gunslinger, level 4, musket master, Napoleonic redcoat vibe.

I'm trying to find out, though I'm asking my DM anyway, by taking a level in Magus, could I use prestiditation to lower my reloading by a step, to avoid needing expensive and more misfire prone Alchemical cartridges.

I'm aware this may be one of those case-by-case DM Fiats.

Thanks!

DedWards
2016-10-21, 03:07 AM

I'm trying to find out, though I'm asking my DM anyway, by taking a level in Magus, could I use prestiditation to lower my reloading by a step, to avoid needing expensive and more misfire prone Alchemical cartridges.

Thanks!

I highly doubt Prestidigitation can do anything well enough to lower the reloading time. You'd be better off just using the Alchemical Cartridges and enchanting your gun with either Reliable or Reliable, Greater to reduce the misfire

Poblobo
2016-10-21, 04:16 AM
I highly doubt Prestidigitation can do anything well enough to lower the reloading time. You'd be better off just using the Alchemical Cartridges and enchanting your gun with either Reliable or Reliable, Greater to reduce the misfire

This may sound incredibly dumb, but I'm a newish player. How would I go about such an enchantment? Can a Druid or Paladin do it, because they're the only casters we have right now, or would I look for someone to do it for me elsewhere? Also, it might take a while before I have enough gold to afford an enchantment.

DedWards
2016-10-21, 05:15 AM
This may sound incredibly dumb, but I'm a newish player. How would I go about such an enchantment? Can a Druid or Paladin do it, because they're the only casters we have right now, or would I look for someone to do it for me elsewhere? Also, it might take a while before I have enough gold to afford an enchantment.

Whomever is enchanting it needs to be able to cast "Mending" and the feat "Craft Magic Arms and Armor".

"Craft Magic Arms and Armor" has a prerequisite of "Caster level 5th".

To put Reliable on the gun requires the enchanter to be Caster Level 8th; with Reliable Greater requiring CL 12th.

"Mending" is a 0 level spell for Bard; Skald; Cleric; Oracle; Warpriest; Druid; Sorcerer; Wizard; Arcanist; Hunter; Adept; Summoner; and Witch.

As for the enchantment itself, it requires a +1 enchantment for "Reliable" and a +3 for "Reliable, Greater". If I'm getting my math correct, Reliable will cost at least 8000 gold and Reliable, Greater at least 32000 gold. [can someone please check if I'm correct]

Oh, and the weapon needs to be of Masterwork quality before any enchantments can be put on it. And your first enchantment is always just a +1 enchantment (2000 gold), making Reliable your second enchantment, at earliest.

It's easier to get an NPC to Enchant your gun for you.

Klara Meison
2016-10-21, 05:42 AM
Whomever is enchanting it needs to be able to cast "Mending" and the feat "Craft Magic Arms and Armor".

"Craft Magic Arms and Armor" has a prerequisite of "Caster level 5th".

To put Reliable on the gun requires the enchanter to be Caster Level 8th; with Reliable Greater requiring CL 12th.

"Mending" is a 0 level spell for Bard; Skald; Cleric; Oracle; Warpriest; Druid; Sorcerer; Wizard; Arcanist; Hunter; Adept; Summoner; and Witch.

As for the enchantment itself, it requires a +1 enchantment for "Reliable" and a +3 for "Reliable, Greater". If I'm getting my math correct, Reliable will cost at least 8000 gold and Reliable, Greater at least 32000 gold. [can someone please check if I'm correct]

Oh, and the weapon needs to be of Masterwork quality before any enchantments can be put on it. And your first enchantment is always just a +1 enchantment (2000 gold), making Reliable your second enchantment, at earliest.

It's easier to get an NPC to Enchant your gun for you.

They don't need to be able to cast Mending. Not fulfilling a prerequisite just adds a 5 to the spellcraft DC.

From the rules:

Note that all items have prerequisites in their descriptions. These prerequisites must be met for the item to be created. Most of the time, they take the form of spells that must be known by the item's creator (although access through another magic item or spellcaster is allowed). The DC to create a magic item increases by 5 for each prerequisite the caster does not meet. The only exception to this is the requisite item creation feat, which is mandatory. In addition, you cannot create potions, spell-trigger, or spell-completion magic items without meeting its prerequisites.

Neither do they have to be of a higher CL than the item. From FAQ:

Does creating a magic item require the creator to be of the same or higher caster level of the item itself? This doesn't seem to square with the CLs listed for specific magic items; for instance, a Belt of Giant Strength +2 has CL 8th, but the only spell required in its creation, bull's strength, has a minimum caster level of 3.

Am I missing anything here?

Though the listed Caster Level for a pearl of power is 17th, that caster level is not part of the Requirements listing for that item. Therefore, the only caster level requirement for a pearl of power is the character has to be able to cast spells of the desired level.

Weapons have a special note on this:

Creating a magic weapon has a special prerequisite: The creator's caster level must be at least three times the enhancement bonus of the weapon. If an item has both an enhancement bonus and a special ability, the higher of the two caster level requirements must be met. A magic weapon must have at least a 1 enhancement bonus to have any melee or ranged special weapon abilities.

Which, I believe, can also be avoided by taking aforementioned +5 to DC.

Swaoeaeieu
2016-10-21, 05:59 AM

Thanks!

prestigitation will not work like that by the rules. and prestigitation is still a standard action to cast. so a standard plus even a quicker reload would still be longer then just reloading...i say go for the alchemical cartridges. a missfire isnt that likely to happen. plus when you get the money enchanting your gun will save you from that.

DedWards
2016-10-21, 08:42 AM
Not fulfilling a prerequisite just adds a 5 to the spellcraft DC..

Isn't there a penalty for failing too hard, like the item becoming cursed?

Klara Meison
2016-10-21, 09:08 AM
Isn't there a penalty for failing too hard, like the item becoming cursed?

I think so, but given that you can take 10 on that check it's just a matter of pumping your skill modifier high enough.

Geddy2112
2016-10-21, 02:56 PM
Prestidigitation explicitly says you cannot duplicate the effects of other spells. It would be duplicating the effect of reloading hands (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/r/reloading-hands) and similar magic.

You can use prestidigitation to load a gun-you can slowly move and lift up to a 1lb object(a bullet and shot) and move it into the musket, loading it. It would take a while, far longer than just doing it yourself, but you could if you wanted to show off.

Just get alchemical cartridges and reliable enchantment as others have stated. Or multiclass out at higher levels for reloading hands-once you hit 5 gunslinger has all the good stuff, so you could go into magus, but rangers also get the spell(at far later levels) so you could have a wand or scrolls of it.