PDA

View Full Version : Apiary Golem (mitp)

Poppatomus
2007-07-11, 04:26 PM
For your perusal, all feedback appreciated (Could use some help on the attack line especially)

Apiary Golem
Sure, you'll be covered in tiny red bumps for a week or so, but you'll eat like a king for the rest of the year. -- Pesk the Shiny

<Large> <Construct>
Hit Dice: 13d10 + 30 (102)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 19 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +7 natural), 12 touch, 16 flat-footed
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+19
Attack: Slam +15 melee (2d8+6 19-20 x2) or Swipe +12 melee (2d8+6 18-20x3)
Full Attack: two Slams +15 melee (2d8+6) or two swipes +12 melee (2d6+6 18-20x2) or one swipe and one slam.
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Swipe
Special Qualities: Construct Traits, Magic Immunity, Bees, Sticky Sweet, fracture prone
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +5
Abilities: Str 22, Dex 16, Con -, Int -, Wis 12, Cha 1
Skills:-
Feats:-
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary, row (1-5), field (5-10), or Apiary (10-20)
Challenge Rating:13
Treasure: 1 pint of honey per HD (if not collected spoils in 2d4 days)
Alignment: neutral
Advancement:14-17 large, 18-21 huge, 22-25 gargantuan

Description/background/characteristics

A prominent buzzing eminated from the mottled brown creature, which looks almost like a parody of a clay golem. Yellow and black insects flit about its surface while viscous raw honey dribbles from each seam. Despite its size and ungainly appearence, the creature moves with suprising swiftness.

The Apiary golem is a construct built from beeswax and honey comb, a blend of the brute strength of a golem and the subtle horror of the swarm. Popular amongst insectoid races, as well as for magi with a taste for honey, the apiary golem is a formidable opponent, even if it lacks some of the toughness of its more conventional cousins. It is also a useful construct outside of combat, producing enough honey every day to feed 5 people which can be harvested by a creature authorized by the golem's controller or collected by the golem itself and delivered where the controller wishes. This latter aspect of the creature leads druids to sometimes employ to aid in the protection and support of the forests they guard.

Special Attacks:

Weapon Finesse (Ex) - An apiary golem adds its Dexterity bonus instead of its Strength bonus to attack rolls with its slam attack. This ability functions like the Weapon Finesse feat except it applies to a slam attack, an attack to which the feat cannot normally be applied. the greater precision of the attack allows more devastating striked and provides the benefits of improved critical (slam) as a bonus feat. Attacks made with these bonusesare listed as "swipe" attacks in the stat block.

Special Qualities:

[B]Immunity to Magic (Ex)
An apiary golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below.

Any spell that deals cold damage slows the golem for round for each level of the spell and deals 1d12 points of damage.

Unlike most Golems, an apiary golem can be healed by any spell that would normally be able to heal vermin or otherwise increase their strength, speed, or coordination. Any such spell heals the Golem for 1d6 damage for every level of the spell. This healing is somewhat delayed, with the golem gaining a maximum of one die worth of healing every round. If this would cause the apiary golem to go above its normal maximum HP, it instead gains these HP as temporary HP that last for one hour. The constant work of the bees allows the apiary golem to naturally heal 1d6 HP per day, as long as it is within one mile of a forest, field, or other area where bees could normally thrive.

Bees(Ex)

The bees that inhabit the apiary golem are somehow linked to its defense. Any square that the apiary golem occupies is also considered to be occupied by a swarm of fine vermin with half as many HD as the apiary golem. This swarm cannot be dispersed except by destroying the golem, but a fire effect that deals more then 25 damage to a square occupied by the golem suppresses the swarm for the rest of the round.

The first successful attack made against the apiary golem angers the bees that call it home. If the attack is made from a square within 20 ft. of the golem that square is immediatly considered to be occupied by a swarm of fine vermin, which will follow the attacker until it dies or escapes, at which point the bees return to the golem. That swarm deals as much damage as the swarm that inhabits the golem's square, but it disperses if it takes 4 hp or more in damage. If the attack is made from outside that range, the bees will select a random character within 20 ft to persue. This swarm is not controlled by the golem, or the golem's master.

If the mobile swarm is dispersed this effect is suppressed for 1d6 rounds. After that period, the next new attack triggers this ability again.

Fracture Prone(Ex)

If the apiary golem is reduced below half its starting HP it looses one size catagory and takes a -4 penalty to strength. Additionally, the swarm that co-occupies its square is treated as though a swarm of only half as many HD for the purpose of determining damage.

Sticky Sweet (Ex)
The Apiary Golem continuosly oozes honey from seams in its construction. Any weapon that strikes the Apiary Golem must make a Reflex save at DC 20 or be covered in this sticky substance, making it difficult to wield. (This DC is Dex based and includes a +1 circumstance bonus) Until cleaned, attacks made with that weapon take a -2 penalty to attack rolls, increased to -4 if the bonus to the attack roll comes from dex rather then strength. Cleaning the weapon is a standard action unless water, a rag, or some similar item is available, in which case it is a swift action.

This feature also makes the apiary golem easy to track, giving any creature attempting to do so a +5 bonus on the survival check. If the creature also has the scent special ability, this bonus increases to +10.

Combat

Like most golems, the apiary golem attacks with mindless efficiency targeting whichever opponents seem most dangerous. Against lower level or slower moving opponents it will normally use its swipe attack to take advantage of the additional crit chance.

Construction
An Apiary golem’s body is sculpted from dozens of Bee hives, both natural and artifical, assembeled in the presence of special incense and alchemical admixtures costing at least 9,000 gp. Assembling the body requires a DC 20 Craft (sculpting) check on which a character can not take a 10 unless it also spends 500 GP on a specialized protective suit.

CL 16th; Craft Construct, Summon swarm, geas/quest, limited wish, Anti-Magic Field, caster must be at least 16th level; Price 130,000 gp; Cost 65,000 gp + 4,600 XP.

A druid of 14th level may substititute the following spells: Insect Plague, plant growth, Greater Dispel magic, Animate plants for those above, but must construct the creature out of only natural hives and beeswax.

ChrisMcDee
2007-07-11, 05:24 PM
I'm not really an expert on D&D crunch so I'll leave the comments to the others, but I have to say that I love the idea!

I'm imagining it being constantly hounded by hungry bears :smallbiggrin:

DracoDei
2007-07-11, 06:23 PM
Since it is a hive inhabited by bees it should be able to heal with rest as if it were a living creature maybe (the bees repairing their home).

Maybe give it some sort of vulnerability to the smoke effect of Pyrotechnics (suppresses local swarm and prevents release of ranged swarm, both for 1d3 rounds?) , and/or to the effects of Cloudkill and/or Stinking Cloud.

Poppatomus
2007-07-11, 09:20 PM
Since it is a hive inhabited by bees it should be able to heal with rest as if it were a living creature maybe (the bees repairing their home).

Maybe give it some sort of vulnerability to the smoke effect of Pyrotechnics (suppresses local swarm and prevents release of ranged swarm, both for 1d3 rounds?) , and/or to the effects of Cloudkill and/or Stinking Cloud.

Already the case Dracodei, though I see now that it says clay golem for some reason. I went with cold, rather than smoke, as the way to supress the effect of the bees, though perhaps I should switch it.

Good call on natural healing, adding that. Sorry misread the post first time through

Poppatomus
2007-07-13, 12:42 AM
pre oblivion bump.

Poppatomus
2007-07-13, 03:36 PM
Decided I am gonna submit this, given the insectoid theme lately, it seem like it might fit.

Icewalker
2007-07-13, 03:45 PM
Cool, cool.

I like the idea. I'm gonna hold on my vote for now, but I'm thinking positive.

Poppatomus
2007-07-13, 11:21 PM
Cool, cool.

I like the idea. I'm gonna hold on my vote for now, but I'm thinking positive.

Basically my thoughts on it to. I couldn't get the idea out of my head and I don't see anything major "wrong" with it, but for some reason it just isn't sitting right with me.

Quietus
2007-07-13, 11:42 PM
Rather than making it a flat 50% chance that a weapon gets sticky from attacking this golem, why not make it a reflex save? I don't think a DC of 10+1/2 HD, with a +4 racial bonus, would be too unfair for a CR 13 creature - that's a DC 20 save, and really, it's just an inconvenience as opposed to a "Screw You".

Overall, I like the idea, but I'm horrible at judging crunch so I won't start throwing votes.

Poppatomus
2007-07-14, 12:33 AM
Rather than making it a flat 50% chance that a weapon gets sticky from attacking this golem, why not make it a reflex save? I don't think a DC of 10+1/2 HD, with a +4 racial bonus, would be too unfair for a CR 13 creature - that's a DC 20 save, and really, it's just an inconvenience as opposed to a "Screw You".

Overall, I like the idea, but I'm horrible at judging crunch so I won't start throwing votes.

Good call, changed.

TheEscapist
2007-07-14, 06:29 PM
The "swipe" entry under special attacks seems a little ungainly. Mentioning that it deals less damage isn't necessary, since any monster attack can pretty much deal whatever you want it to when you write up the monster. The listed damage for attacks based on monster size it just suggestions. Based on the iaijutsu master PrC in the Oriental Adventures book (which has a very similar ability), it should read like this:

Weapon Finesse (Ex) - An apiary golem adds its Dexterity bonus instead of its Strength bonus to attack rolls with its slam attack. This ability functions like the Weapon Finesse feat except it applies to a slam attack, an attack to which the feat cannot normally be applied.

Now, Oriental Adventures is a 3rd-edition book, not 3.5, so this may be outdated. Anyway, I'm just nitpicking. I really like this guy, and always look forward to more of your work. You're great at making those niche monsters that no one else would dare to. :smallsmile:

Oh, and speaking of nitpicking, capitalize the 'B' in the 'Bees' special quality.

I'm gonna go ahead and give this an Mitp Vote: YES, because I'm trusting you to keep refining this entry further. I love it, but it still needs fine-tuning.

Kan8
2007-07-14, 09:20 PM
I like the idea of this, definetly something I might try, but I've noticed something wrong (Maybe...).

According to your description it takes 25 points of fire damage to suppress the swarm for a round right? Non-magical fire deals 1d6 damage/round, and it's already immune to the effects and, more imortantly, damage of magical fire. This then makes me think that it's impossible to supress the swarm, as the description says it's aimed at the golem (Unless with the fire damage you mean the bees take this much damage, in which case it's explainable...).

Ah well, just trying to help a good idea. :smallsmile:

Poppatomus
2007-07-15, 03:53 PM
I like the idea of this, definetly something I might try, but I've noticed something wrong (Maybe...).

According to your description it takes 25 points of fire damage to suppress the swarm for a round right? Non-magical fire deals 1d6 damage/round, and it's already immune to the effects and, more imortantly, damage of magical fire. This then makes me think that it's impossible to supress the swarm, as the description says it's aimed at the golem (Unless with the fire damage you mean the bees take this much damage, in which case it's explainable...).

Ah well, just trying to help a good idea. :smallsmile:

Hmm... I'll have to think on that. It is a bit unclear. I originally meant that the swarm itself could be targeted by magical fire damage, but that might be too much damage just for one round of suppression. Thanks for pointing it out, i'll need to think on how to fix it. Any ideas?

Thanks for the vote and the kind words theescapist (excellent monster by the way. what were its spawn going to be like?), I hope to continue to refine it. i'll change the ability to the more concise version you've presented, and through in an extra sentence mentioning the increased crit chance.

TheEscapist
2007-07-15, 04:01 PM
Just give it Improved Critical (slam) as a bonus feat.

Thanks for the vote and the kind words theescapist (excellent monster by the way. what were its spawn going to be like?), I hope to continue to refine it. i'll change the ability to the more concise version you've presented, and through in an extra sentence mentioning the increased crit chance.

Matthew
2007-07-28, 06:32 PM
Pretty weird, but looks okay to me.