PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Converting 5th Edition Core Books from Forgotten Realms to Post Apocalypse

Spazik420
2016-10-21, 10:32 AM
Hello fellow RPG fans, I have been DMing a relatively successful 5th Edition Forgotten Realms campaign for about a year now. My party has advanced from Level 1 to Level 9 and is currently involved in a "high fantasy" plot involving the Red Wizards of Thay and some Mind Flayers trying to overthrow Waterdeep and Baldur's Gate from within. It's been pretty fun, but we're looking to try something new.

Most of my group enjoys "Post Apocalyptic" settings and games, specifically Fallout and its spiritual predecessor / successor Wasteland, as well as other more obscure titles like Shadowrun or even some mainstream faire like Mad Max. The 5th Edition rules seem pretty open and malleable, and the DM Guide also has an excellent resource for optional rules to make the game more "gritty", which is something I'd want to incorporate, as the idea of heat exhaustion, radiation poisoning, and running out of water would fit well in a post-apoc setting, and I'd probably also want to slow down healing and reduce or eliminate "magical" healing, so that a bullet wound actually takes days or weeks to heal from. This would make engaging in combat more serious and naturally lend the campaign towards more of an atmosphere of exploration and problem solving, although combat would of course still be there if the players choose to engage.
Although I'm extremely excited to begin working on this project, there are a number of design considerations which significantly deviate from the medieval setting presented in the core handbooks.

Specifically:

1) Races and Classes. This is the big one. Some of the classes port over relatively easily, like Rogues and Rangers. Other classes however are going to take a significant re-imagining, specifically the caster classes. I'm not sure how to handle this part going forward. I feel like incorporating "Psionics" would allow for some "magic" in the world, and I'm also thinking that technology could take the place of magic in many places, especially "lost tech" from "before the war". Like say instead of brewing up potions a character is mixing together some chemicals he found in a chemistry set to make a solvent for XYZ robot part they found. I'm thinking of cutting down on races and encouraging people to play human, but perhaps having 2 or 3 other options like mutant, cyborg, etc. The idea of designing "new" classes with as many abilities as those in the PHB and actually making it balanced is the most daunting part of this project. I may even toy with the idea of starting the players as generic Level 1 "soldiers" and allowing them to "level up" into a skill tree of some sorts, if classes would be unworkable.

2) Weapons and Armor. Not quite as daunting as the first part, and a bit more fun. This part would even be easy enough to make up as you go along. Your players could have XYZ assault rifle from "before the war" and then they find the Mark 2 version that has slightly better range. Balancing is the issue here. Combat would definitely be more ranged, due to guns, but there would still be melee either from radiated animal monsters or raider / zombie type people who have nothing more than a baseball bat or a metal pipe. I think I want to give armor a "damage resistance" to represent lighter arms bouncing off heavier armor, and it would help hit home with the slower healing because when a bullet hits you your character is going to really feel it. I'm also thinking of incorporating "Power Armor", but I don't want everyone just walking around in it. So limiting factors could include the cost of a feat (if most players are human that lets them potentially start in it at Level 1), the cost of the armor itself and whatever power source it runs off of, and then the power armor could also have a store of hit points that renders the armor useless when they run out (and then the player could use their armor repair skill to roll and try and fix it or spend money when they get back to a base camp with an armor smith).

3) Skills and spells. Skills are relatively straightforward. I could simply add more skills like "Knowledge: Machinery" or "Knowledge: Computers" to represent a skill set that's relative to someone in a post apocalyptic future rather than a fantasy middle ages. Spells, if I'm including psionics, would be a bit more tricky. I don't want to truncate the spell list because it would hurt potential casters, but many spells in the 5th Ed PHB would have to be re-worked significantly for a sci-fi setting. Perhaps I'll have Druids and Clerics be "good" psionists, like hippy nature lover types or faith healers, and sorcerers and wizards can be the bad or selfish kind that kill a bunch of people like in Akira. But certain "magicky" spells like Heroes' Feast wouldn't fit at all in a sci-fi setting.

4) "Monsters" and continuity. This last part is deceptively tricky. In middle ages fantasy you can pretty much make up whatever you want. If the technology level doesn't fit from one country to the next or something seems like it shouldn't work, it could just be explained away with "oh, that's magic". In a sci fi setting based on Earth, things have to "fit". If the war was 50 years ago, why does this building look like it was only bombed 10 years ago? Why has this part of the city decayed for 200 years? My players are very perceptive, and they'll notice any holes instantly. So with the monsters or "mobs", there has to be some sort of scientifically based explanation. If they're fighting giant radioactive rats, is this a new species of rodent that evolved in the radiation or is an existing species suffering the effects of radiation? It's easy enough to lift stats from the monster manual, but giving those stats some flavor is going to be a challenge.

So these are the areas I'm going to be working on in the coming weeks and months as this project gets off the ground. Any input is greatly appreciated, as I don't know if I can handle this much creative work by myself. Thanks everyone!

KoyukiTei13
2016-10-22, 12:38 AM
As for a Fallout-esque kind of game, you could do away with the PHB races completely and use some variations of humans, similar to Skyrim with Nords, Bretons, Imperials and Redguards.
Or you could systematically explain every race's evolutionary pros and cons in this new environment; Dragonborn could totally be a genetic experiment between Komodo dragons and humans (you could replace the breath weapon with a poisonous bite then, too) and Orcs would be similar to Fallout's Super Mutants (humans infected with FEV).

[You should also probably check out Middle Finger of Vecna's Magitech Compendium for some awesome inspirational content, and Shadowrun has some futuristic content that might be inspiring]

As for classes:

Barbarian - you could keep this mostly the same. You could even add a radiation-based archetype like the Hulk.

Bard - basic general inspiration dude. You could flavor it like he's a maddened artist travelling the wastes singing to the skeletons.

Cleric - Wherever there is catastrophe, there is need of religion. Cleric and paladins are going to be all over, at least one in each settlement. Having a strong understanding of your world's religions is going to be important before making any domains for Clerics.

Druid - There are several druid circles I think would fit the theme of destruction (Circle of Desolation, Circle of Cinders, etc.) though I'm not sure how to treat druidic magic in a post-apocalyptic world. Perhaps pass it off as pagan magick/witchcraft where they ask their deities and the energy around them for aid. Ritual casting or "circle casting" would be the only way their spells would work, and shapeshifting would be a sort of mutation thing. They'd be limited to one extra form, or something.

Fighter - grab a steel pipe and smash stuff. You could probably make a gunslinger archetype for this or use Matt Mercer's for a basis.

Monk - That martial artist dude who was obsessed with karate, judo, kung fu and who-knows-what-else finally has a purpose in life.

Paladin - Same as cleric, but with more auras. People in real life have auras - if someone is particularly confident, other people are more likely to be confident while around them. Auras don't have to be 'magical'.

Ranger - Beast Master and Hunter automatically work here. This is actually probably going to be the most common class the PCs are likely to encounter - people must've adventured to get away from craters or find sanctuary to find food and room to grow food and families. Knowing the terrain and creatures around their homes would be very important.

Rogue - Where there is chaos, there is crime. The more people freak out about a disaster and hoard supplies, the more people there are that will seek out caches of food and materials and loot them. Graverobbers, raiders, bandits, and the like will be just as common as farmers and hunters.

Sorcerer - I'd think of this as someone getting uniquely effected or experimented on shortly before this apocalyptic event. Where the barbarian would have the Hulk & a bad case of the Captain America super soldier syrum, the sorcerer would have Magneto or Professor X.

Warlock - this class would work mostly around madness, I think. Many of the Children of Atom in FO4 would probably fit the bill as apprentice warlocks.

Wizard - These guys would be scientists, alchemists and imaginative thinkers first and foremost. Some schools would probably be some sort of golemancy or minon-mancy, alchemy, and then some scientific focuses (biologist, botanist, vulcanologist, oceanologist, etc.)

Classes would probably be able to use the base, but archetypes would have to be tailored to the world and its mechanics.

Like you said, healing would be really slow - you could use the realistic or gritty healing system found in the DMG.

Weapons and armor are easy enough, its the MAGICAL weapons and armor that are going to need some work. They could be relics of an age long past (actually magical), experimental technologies (effects and maneuvers), or alien technology (???). Power Armor in a pen-and-paper game is going to be a lot of bookkeeping to keep it "balanced" in the world. In the game, its got a fuel source, durability, different upgrades of materials and paint jobs; lot easier to pick and choose and forget about while in a video game. Just be careful with that one. :)

As for skills and spells, UA: Modern Magic and Shadowrun need to be your go-tos here. You need to know if you're going to set this world in a time similar to our own or in a parallel past/future (Fallout). The level of tech and security of the time and area will have a HUGE impact on the level of difficulty of hacking, lockpicking, stealth, etc. Spells will have to be modified extensively; you can pick and choose from the spells already (you don't have to use the whole spellbook) and add some flavor-fitting ones that you think fill in the holes you made. You could make Heroes' Feast into "Urchin Scraps" or something, which could summon up a few piles of dry day rations or something for 1d6 people, and the rations disappear after 24 hours unless ingested.

Monsters are just fun, in my opinion. Statting them out isn't so fun, but make the monsters for the world, rather than the stats. That's one thing I had issues with at first; I was like "My party is level 4, and I need a couple mobs in the next room for the next session, what should they fight." and it took like 10 times longer than it should've if I'd planned out a couple mobs of the world and made a few of various difficulties and scattered them everywhere.

And don't stress worldbuilding too much. You're not writing a historical fiction where if you make *one* thing wrong, you've ruined the immersion; just keep the atmosphere the same mostly throughout, and have important places stand outside of the normal atmosphere. If your PCs are used to the plains of midwest USA, making them travel to the ruins of New York or Chicago would mean "holy crap this mission/quest is super duper important I wonder what we're going to find there."

PS: If you need someone to bounce post-apocalyptic ideas off of, I'm your girl!