PDA

View Full Version : How many through door?

BeefGood
2016-10-21, 10:47 AM
How many characters/creatures can move through a door in one round? The only way I can think to answer this question is to appeal to their movement distance. Assuming that all the creatures move 30', and control 5' spaces, then I think 6x6=36 creatures can move through the door and find their own 5' space on the other side of the door. Chop that number down somewhat for more realistic treatment of diagonals. But it still seems like a lot of creatures to move through a door in six seconds.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Willie the Duck
2016-10-21, 10:57 AM
Either 1) as many as you think reasonable, or 2) as many as have can successfully move through said square, based on their movements. As for reasonableness, I think firemen analysis of people moving through exits suggest that orderly, un-panicked individuals can move like 1-2 people per yard/meter-wide door per second. If two are next to each other (a set of double-doors), it moves a little more through the whole thing.

Honestly though, comparing movement and actions to real time causes all sorts of problems. Moving 30' and attacking, (or just moving 60') is entirely reasonable in 6 seconds (the moving 60' entirely ignores acceleration time, but whatever). The instant you start having multiple attacks, or bonus action movement (perhaps on top of enhanced speed), the whole things starts becoming cinematic (whether that is a problem is up to you). Likewise, the whole each character takes a turn, and then freezes while the character with the next initiative thing causes all sorts of havoc when you try to model things like moving through areas (or handing off items, or conversing).

Ninja_Prawn
2016-10-21, 12:13 PM
But it still seems like a lot of creatures to move through a door in six seconds.

I agree that 6 seconds per turn and 6 seconds per round makes this sort of thing unrealistic. Of course, 36 creatures assumes that they are arranged in initiative order, so that they never have to pass through one another's spaces, but still, seems like the correct solution as far as I can see (assuming they can't dash).

For a real-life comparison, fire safety people have to study this kind of thing, so a quick google aaaand...

"A set of double doors (minimum 1050mm*) will permit the passage of 80 persons per minute to pass through" (http://dorsethalls.net/content/calculating-maximum-numbers-can-safely-occupy-your-hall)

*3.44 feet

80 per minute is 8 per round. A 10-foot archway could easily handle three times that (24), so... I guess 36 isn't totally insane? And if we assume 15% of people are halflings... :smallwink:

ClintACK
2016-10-21, 08:28 PM
First, note that this answer is *important* in gameplay. It determines how many people you can get through a Teleportation Circle or Transport via Plants.

Second, I'd say a reasonable answer is how many people could walk through the door single-file in one round.

Assuming 30' movement and a Dash action, that's 12 people.

JellyPooga
2016-10-21, 08:49 PM
Why do I have the urge to test this in real life? I have some family visiting this weekend, which makes 5 adults and 2 halflings children and we're all just about daft enough to get a stop watch and clear all the furniture away from a door for a few minutes...:smallbiggrin:

BeefGood
2016-10-28, 08:04 PM
These answers seem reasonable. A typical party of adventurers, and probably more, can move through a door in one round. More as the door width increases. Thank you.

BW022
2016-10-28, 08:51 PM
Two answers...

In combat, the number pretty much equals how many creatures you can move through the 5' square through the initiative system. In almost all cases, that will depend upon their movement rates and the areas in front and behind the doorway. Ultimately, with 30' (60' dash) movement rates, you could likely get dozens of creatures through their starting area was close enough and open enough for them to congregate and if the area on the other side of the doorway was open enough for them to congregate. If it was a narrow passage, dark, rough terrain, etc. then pretty much 30' means 6 squares... meaning 6 people covering the size squares behind a passageway could only move into the 6 squares on the other side -- assuming a narrow passageway and accounting for rough terrain moving through each other.

Our of combat, you'd have to look at real world examples for a rough idea. You could look at airplane or fire door evacuation rates. A typical standard airliner door is rated at around 50 passengers in 90 seconds. This accounts for narrow passageways, darkness/smoke, getting out of seats, etc. Single business fire doors are rated at 40-50 people per minute -- which accounts for clear areas beyond the doorway and typical isles, shelves, tables, etc. within the business. Large fire doors (double-wide, automatic opening/hold-open systems) in clubs, theatres, arenas, churches, halls, etc. typically start in the 80 people per minute -- and do no include obstructions on either side. Now... military and others in specific vehicle entry and exit drills can easily double or triple normal rates.

ruy343
2016-10-29, 12:29 PM
Two answers...

In combat, the number pretty much equals how many creatures you can move through the 5' square through the initiative system. In almost all cases, that will depend upon their movement rates and the areas in front and behind the doorway. Ultimately, with 30' (60' dash) movement rates, you could likely get dozens of creatures through their starting area was close enough and open enough for them to congregate and if the area on the other side of the doorway was open enough for them to congregate. If it was a narrow passage, dark, rough terrain, etc. then pretty much 30' means 6 squares... meaning 6 people covering the size squares behind a passageway could only move into the 6 squares on the other side -- assuming a narrow passageway and accounting for rough terrain moving through each other.

Our of combat, you'd have to look at real world examples for a rough idea. You could look at airplane or fire door evacuation rates. A typical standard airliner door is rated at around 50 passengers in 90 seconds. This accounts for narrow passageways, darkness/smoke, getting out of seats, etc. Single business fire doors are rated at 40-50 people per minute -- which accounts for clear areas beyond the doorway and typical isles, shelves, tables, etc. within the business. Large fire doors (double-wide, automatic opening/hold-open systems) in clubs, theatres, arenas, churches, halls, etc. typically start in the 80 people per minute -- and do no include obstructions on either side. Now... military and others in specific vehicle entry and exit drills can easily double or triple normal rates.

Doesn't moving through another creature's space, even if friendly, count as difficult terrain?