PDA

View Full Version : A idea of a healing monk.

Sir cryosin
2016-10-21, 10:52 AM
I would like for a monk to have a healing ability. A monk of life or reborn theme. Maybe a pool point like paladin or a ability that cost X ki to heal Xdx amount. Then a reborn flavor ability. A support ability.

Any way can ya'll help with this idea plz it would be cool to play this kind of monk and befor any comments "why not muiticlass in to cleric or druid" because 5e likes to keep itself mono class and I just don't want to multiclass. So I'll welcome any and all ideas and suggestions and opinions. Thank ya'll.

Maxilian
2016-10-21, 11:01 AM
Ermm... i'm going to give you an answer that you won't like...

Why not play a Life Cleric and reflavor it as a Monk? take your spell accordingly (to work with the monk idea), reflavor the spells into KI based abilities and reflavor your armor into robe like clothes... (to make it look like an Unarmed Combatant).

Note: You may not like it, but i'm pretty sure i could reflavor the Cleric of Life into a "Homebrew" class and it would look quite cool and work around your idea.

Note2: You will not have stunning strike

Mikey P
2016-10-21, 11:06 AM
If you want to keep things RAW, Magic Initiate can give you a healing spell.

If you want to customize something, when adding an ability, you generally have to drop something. If the healing is as potent as a pally's lay on hands, you'll have to pick something to drop.

Alternatively, a lenient GM might let you add a Ki feature for healing, but it should be a modest exchange. You might be able to talk a lass lenient GM into letting you learn how to do it as a Feat.

Douche
2016-10-21, 11:14 AM
I'd be more interested in a monk that can shield people with temp hit points while dealing damage.

Would be cool if punching people caused a radiant shield of spirit energy to erupt from his punches and shield his allies based on how hard he hit his enemies in the face

Straight healing just doesn't seem characteristic of a monk to me

Maxilian
2016-10-21, 11:18 AM
I'd be more interested in a monk that can shield people with temp hit points while dealing damage.

Would be cool if punching people caused a radiant shield of spirit energy to erupt from his punches and shield his allies based on how hard he hit his enemies in the face

Straight healing just doesn't seem characteristic of a monk to me

Well... Magic Initiate with Heroism? and get the feat that lets you inspire people (that would mean you will need a lot of CHA) and will make you even MAD(er)

Foxhound438
2016-10-21, 11:27 AM
a decent start might be just ki spells, like the shadow monk has: give them the ability to cast bless, healing word, cure wounds, and maybe lesser restoration. Level 6 might be something akin to the undying warlock (scag) ability that lets you regain x amount of HP upon succeeding a death save. Level 11 maybe revivify?

In any case, that's the help I have off the top of my head, probably go over to the homebrew sub-forum if that's the kind of thing you're looking for.

Maxilian
2016-10-21, 11:29 AM
a decent start might be just ki spells, like the shadow monk has: give them the ability to cast bless, healing word, cure wounds, and maybe lesser restoration. Level 6 might be something akin to the undying warlock (scag) ability that lets you regain x amount of HP upon succeeding a death save. Level 11 maybe revivify?

In any case, that's the help I have off the top of my head, probably go over to the homebrew sub-forum if that's the kind of thing you're looking for.

Wouldn't it be better to just reflavor the Life Cleric as a Life Monk, reflavor the spell selection as KI focused spells, make a "special type of armor" that will make it feel like UA but it will just work by RAW as a normal armor, and so on...

Sir cryosin
2016-10-21, 01:20 PM
The life or reborn monk is about karma and positive energy. Yes you could flavor a cleric but I like the based monk.

Joe the Rat
2016-10-21, 01:37 PM
I've got a monk with the Healer feat, he works pretty well. :smallbiggrin:

I like the paladin-style Lay on Hands - it's a more unique feel than Four Elements Humours spellcasting. Whether you make that a separate feature (x pts daily), or make it ki fueled will take a bit of thinking and balancing (no spells for healing, but you have short rest refresh). You probably would want revivify and greater restoration as ki spells at higher levels.

My inclination would be to crib from Paladin or Banneret for more ideas.

clash
2016-10-21, 01:42 PM
There is this http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?503007-Monk-Archetype-Way-of-the-Sacred-Fist
It looks fairly balanced if you want homebrew

Foxhound438
2016-10-21, 03:43 PM
Wouldn't it be better to just reflavor the Life Cleric as a Life Monk, reflavor the spell selection as KI focused spells, make a "special type of armor" that will make it feel like UA but it will just work by RAW as a normal armor, and so on...

I mean, fine for you, but that's not what the OP is asking about

Ashrym
2016-10-21, 11:11 PM
I would like for a monk to have a healing ability. A monk of life or reborn theme. Maybe a pool point like paladin or a ability that cost X ki to heal Xdx amount. Then a reborn flavor ability. A support ability.

Any way can ya'll help with this idea plz it would be cool to play this kind of monk and befor any comments "why not muiticlass in to cleric or druid" because 5e likes to keep itself mono class and I just don't want to multiclass. So I'll welcome any and all ideas and suggestions and opinions. Thank ya'll.

Go with a modified elemental monk, similar to my earth bender suggestion. The cantrip would be spare the dying, cure wounds 2 ki, lesser restoration 3 ki min lvl 6, revivify 4 ki min level 11, mass cure wound 6 ki min level 17. Swapping spells on an elemental monk seems like an easy approach for a lot of monk concepts.

ruy343
2016-10-21, 11:19 PM
Alternately, you could go full-RAW and do the following:

Level 1: VHuman monk with the healer feat (it's seriously underrated).
Level 2: Life Cleric 1

Never wear armor, instead opting to use your wisdom and dex bonuses for AC. Overall, you're not really out much in terms of capability, and you'd be achieving what you wanted very early on.

As for the monk discipline to choose: I would choose sun soul, if allowed. If not, I would choose four elements, just because I could pull some flavor from that which might fit my character concept. If high level, I might consider open-hand monk, which would have an always-on Sanctuary feat until I attack or harm another creature, which you might not do with a cleric multiclass!