PDA

View Full Version : Am I reading this right? Wildshape and alter self interaction

Soranar
2016-10-21, 11:34 AM
So, I've been toying around with a wildshape ranger with the following combo

sword of the arcane order
natural spell

essentially letting me cast spells while in wildshape

now if I turn myself into a legendary ape (STR 30) through my wildshape class feature, I can still use alter self to change into something else

the thing is, I get to keep by type while in wildshape (which in this case would be an aberration, so I'd be playing a daelkyr half-blood , a synad or an elan)

then I use alter self to turn myself into a gibbering mouther but I get to keep my 30 STR!?

eggynack
2016-10-21, 11:39 AM
then I use alter self to turn myself into a gibbering mouther but I get to keep my 30 STR!?
I don't think so, no. Alter self specifies that you keep your own ability scores, not the scores of whatever form you're in, and I think that points to what you have at the baseline, which wouldn't be 30 strength.

Mighty Physche
2016-10-21, 11:42 AM
Alter self:
You assume the form of a creature of the same type as your normal form. The new form must be within one size category of your normal size. The maximum HD of an assumed form is equal to your caster level, to a maximum of 5 HD at 5th level. You can change into a member of your own kind or even into yourself.

You retain your own ability scores. Your class and level, hit points, alignment, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses all remain the same. You retain all supernatural and spell-like special attacks and qualities of your normal form, except for those requiring a body part that the new form does not have (such as a mouth for a breath weapon or eyes for a gaze attack).

By that logic yes you keep you 30 str. You can wild shape then alter self back into you and get mad strong for the spell duration.

Venger
2016-10-21, 11:42 AM
You retain your own ability scores. Your class and level, hit points, alignment, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses all remain the same. You retain all supernatural and spell-like special attacks and qualities of your normal form

It does heavily imply that the first clause also refers to your "normal form" and not just the last one that you assumed. Effects like that, such as true mind switch, will spell it out specifically.

KillianHawkeye
2016-10-21, 06:19 PM
You can only be under the effect of one type of form-changing magic at a time. If you cast Alter Self, it will cancel the effects of your Wild Shape.

Venger
2016-10-21, 06:54 PM
You can only be under the effect of one type of form-changing magic at a time. If you cast Alter Self, it will cancel the effects of your Wild Shape.

that's not true. if you PaOed into something of a different type, for example, you'd be able to use alter self to change into something of that type.

Jack_Simth
2016-10-21, 07:07 PM
that's not true. if you PaOed into something of a different type, for example, you'd be able to use alter self to change into something of that type.
A little more accurately, the rule KillianHawkeye references is Pathfinder-specific, and this is clearly a 3.X thread. That said, it's a VERY common house rule in 3.X.

Venger
2016-10-21, 07:13 PM
A little more accurately, the rule KillianHawkeye references is Pathfinder-specific, and this is clearly a 3.X thread. That said, it's a VERY common house rule in 3.X.

ok. unless a thread it specifically tagged pf, or it's mentioned in the thread, I assume 3.5 rules.

Soranar
2016-10-21, 07:30 PM
ok. unless a thread it specifically tagged pf, or it's mentioned in the thread, I assume 3.5 rules.

Well it turns out asking the question made my DM aware of the combo and banned it before I asked the question (why oh why did I tell him about this site)

Jack_Simth
2016-10-21, 07:43 PM
Even without a tag, the OP is very clearly asking about 3.X - or perhaps 3.X with some PF content - due to the mention of sword of the arcane order, the mechanics of Wildshape simply setting the PC's strength score, and the Synad - none of which are in Pathfinder to my knowledge.

That said: It wasn't tagged, and if someone is not greatly familiar with the contents of at least one of the systems, or doesn't look up a few of the mentioned things to check the system, most people are going to assume the system they're most familiar with that the forum discusses. Apparently, for you, that's 3.5. Apparently for KillianHawkeye, that's Pathfinder.

This sort of thing is part of the reason I tend to avoid using absolute terms here.

Well it turns out asking the question made my DM aware of the combo and banned it before I asked the question (why oh why did I tell him about this site)
As I said: Common house rule.

KillianHawkeye
2016-10-22, 03:34 AM
I don't know much about Pathfinder, and I'm not quoting rules from that game. The rule I was referencing is this one:

One Effect Makes Another Irrelevant

Sometimes, one spell can render a later spell irrelevant. Both spells are still active, but one has rendered the other useless in some fashion.

If you change your shape with magic, it pretty unequivocally makes your previous magical shape irrelevant.