PDA

View Full Version : Advice need for DM.

Sir cryosin
2016-10-21, 01:51 PM
I have a party of 2 fighters, 2 cleric, and a wizard. They will be lv 2 soon and they should get a reward from a high lv wizard and this is what I was thinking. Death cleric is using a homebrewed revenant. With this he can't be healed only by hit dice or pots. So I was thinking of giving him a tattoo boon the boon is a version of grim harvest. Now for the wizard a staff of cantrip "I'm working on a name" it's a staff that will alow him to cast a cantrip as a bonus action only when he cast a cantrip. He will only beable to use it a few times a day. I'm think of giving a fighter a friendly mimic that takes the shape of a shield. The other fighter I giving him a hand full of cotton but it magical were he can tear of some and stuff it into cracks as places in his armor to get ride of his disadvantage on stealth checks. And other cleric is a tempest and don't know what to give him any advice and what do ya'll think of these magic items?

CaptainSarathai
2016-10-21, 09:38 PM
Dude, it's only Lvl2 - they don't need Magic Items yet. You can run an entire 5e campaign without handing out so much as a +1 Butter Knife.
The items you have don't seem too bad. The dual-cantrip staff though, that's Metamagic: Quicken Spell, RAW. He's better than a 3rd level Sorcerer, especially if you don't limit it enough.
Just have him give them something they want. I usually ask players to make a sort of "Christmas list" of stuff. Their preferred weapon, armor they want, access to particular spells for copying into spell books, and so on. That way, I have a list of things to give out as rewards and incentive. I usually only give 1 item to 1 player. The rest get gold or something "off list". That way, I can always have one player willing to follow the plan, the other two just kind of agree.

DKing9114
2016-10-21, 11:04 PM
Honestly seems pretty overpowered for a party just turning to level 2. The party I'm in is closing in on level 5, and so far we have one wand of missiles, a bag of tricks, and a sword that steals magic (for each of the 6 primary caster classes, the first time the weapon "cuts" one of each class, it takes away their spell-casting and grows into a more powerful weapon. It's also sentient, and really hates my paladin). Only three items, yet they've come to give us a significant edge in several situations. At level two, each character gaining magic items has the potential to start breaking your encounters, especially the wizards staff and the grim harvest. I'd go for a more story based reward, with the potential for significant physical rewards further down the line. Maybe the wizard knows an enchanter they can interact with at level 6-7, and part of his reward is vouching for the party when this happens (magically signed letter of recommendation), and they can acquire magic items from him. Or the wizard's reward is basically just to advance the plot-via magic or influence, he removes some roadblock which would have kept the party from progressing.

ruy343
2016-10-21, 11:26 PM
I'm with the other guys regarding this plan: magic items with such powerful utility aren't really needed at level 2.

However, if the wizard is bat-poo insane, you should visit the "list of mostly useless magic items" thread here on the site and grab a handful of questionably-useful rewards. After all, why are all magic items perfectly functional? Shouldn't some slip through that aren't that useful?

Alternately, here's a list (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xYAfU_RrjmIcoNjhaqcjgoU4g4atLSb9KW5KikTeErE/edit?usp=sharing) that I"ve generated (some I've stolen from that thread or other sources, and some that I've come up with myself!

DataNinja
2016-10-21, 11:33 PM
However, if the wizard is bat-poo insane, you should visit the "list of mostly useless magic items" thread here on the site and grab a handful of questionably-useful rewards. After all, why are all magic items perfectly functional? Shouldn't some slip through that aren't that useful?

Here's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20132612&postcount=857) a compilation of... a good 11% of that thread? :smalltongue:

11% of an easy reference! Only mostly useless!

BillyBobShorton
2016-10-22, 10:37 AM
Items seem cool, though some are insanely over powered. Can't say I agree with a high level wizard granting power gifts to 1st/2nd lvl players "approaching" that elusive 300 xp mark like it's some kind of campaign milestone they scraped and sacrificed to achieve.

"Oh, you killed 15 goblins and 7 rats? Well now you get to do something no player can EVER do: cast all your cantrips as bonus actions!"

What's that mean? Welln you've doubled his.movement because now instead of 30', he can dash and still bonus cantrip as an attack. You've given him advantage on most att rolls of any spell he casts now since true strike is a cantrip. As well as semi-perma-resistance to non magic with blade ward on constantly. He could slow an enemy with cone of frost move back, and create a barrier or diff terrain with a spell...

I could go on. Way too OP, IMO. Maybe have him roll a d4+1 every morning and that's how many uses that day he gets from the wand. Perma cantrip+spell makes him half a god at like level 3.

Zanthy1
2016-10-22, 11:52 AM
I wouldnt give any of these items to the PCs. I would have the wizard give them more tasks and when they reach level 4-5 maybe give something, but nothing so game breaking as free bonus actions. Simple things that do not affect combat situations essentially. The cotton that removes disadvantage from stealth? I like that. Everything else seems way over powered. Maybe make the shield be able to see additionally, so that when he is flanked his enemies do not gain advantage? The staff could be a cantrip from another casting class that he can use so long as he is holding the staff. Like guidance from the cleric list or something. Essentially it is a bonus cantrip known, not more cast in a round. The tattoo, I am not sure what that is about because I don't have those books/homebrew.

sigurd
2016-10-22, 07:44 PM
2nd level.

If you prove yourself to me, I may share a spell you may scribe into your own book. I shall choose the spell as I do not know your real ability.

No way they'd get custom magic item yet. Hand me downs maybe, but that would be a long shot. They're just not useful enough yet.

Just my .02.

MeeposFire
2016-10-22, 08:13 PM
If you want items that do something in combat but does not do something as drastic as your ideas how about something like this...

Set of gloves that allow you to affect creatures like your weapon is magical 3 times a day.

An orb that allows you to cast a cantrip and change it from an attack roll to a save (or the other way around) or allow you to change the save 1/day.

Laserlight
2016-10-22, 08:35 PM
Dude, it's only Lvl2 - they don't need Magic Items yet. You can run an entire 5e campaign without handing out so much as a +1 Butter Knife.

I ran a campaign from L3 to L10 in which the magic items for entire the party were: a few potions; a throw-and-return axe for the barbarian, which counted as +0 but magical; a +0 magic rapier for the rogue; and a powder which would have changed melee damage to radiate, except they only figured that out in time for the last battle against the BBEG. That's it. And they were still taking on 2xDeadly encounters.

Knaight
2016-10-23, 06:57 AM
The items all sound reasonable. They're powerful, so I wouldn't recommend handing them out unless you're deliberately running a game that is somewhat item focused and that is in a setting where magic items are pretty ubiquitous. As has been stated upthread: D&D 5e doesn't need magic items, and you can run a whole campaign without using them at all. It also operates fine in a very high magic item environment, so you can pretty much do whatever as long as the items are reasonably consistent across characters.

Sir cryosin
2016-10-23, 08:26 AM
The wizard is going to give the party a bag of holding as a reward. And in the dungeon if they can find the hidden room they will find 5 bars of crystal steel. Crystal steel is a rare metal in my world that act like the spell absorb elements. Now they are going to have to find a blacksmith that can work this rare metal. So that's going to be a few sessions. If they want to do something with them. I'm going to put the other magic items on hold for now.

Sigreid
2016-10-23, 12:27 PM
Do you think he has the potential to be a good DM? Not everyone does. If he does, tell him that and offer to share with him some of the things you learned the hard way. If you don't think he has the potential, or if he's hostile to the idea of learning from your experience then you may be best served by moving on.

Intelligence is learning from your experiences. Wisdom is learning from someone else's.

Sir cryosin
2016-10-23, 02:55 PM
Do you think he has the potential to be a good DM? Not everyone does. If he does, tell him that and offer to share with him some of the things you learned the hard way. If you don't think he has the potential, or if he's hostile to the idea of learning from your experience then you may be best served by moving on.

Intelligence is learning from your experiences. Wisdom is learning from someone else's.

You have the wrong thread buddy.

CaptainSarathai
2016-10-23, 06:37 PM
The wizard is going to give the party a bag of holding as a reward. And in the dungeon if they can find the hidden room they will find 5 bars of crystal steel. Crystal steel is a rare metal in my world that act like the spell absorb elements. Now they are going to have to find a blacksmith that can work this rare metal. So that's going to be a few sessions. If they want to do something with them. I'm going to put the other magic items on hold for now.

Good plan. They can sell it for gold, or hang on to it and make a little side-adventure out of trying to get some decent weapons. If they bee-line it straight for the magic weapons, just have the smith tell them that it will take a while to finish them, or have him send them on a quest to find some legendary hammer or tool set or something, so he can work the steel.

Linker2k
2016-10-23, 08:24 PM
It's level 2, if you start giving magic items, your party will become a meat grinder, here is what you can give:

2 - Level 1 spell scrolls (random), for the wizard to be able to add to his spell book

2 - Potions of 1d6 life.

1 - Cristal for Chromatic Orb (about 50gp)

50 to 150 - gp