PDA

View Full Version : Monsters with a Hive Mind?

Nettlekid
2016-10-21, 02:55 PM
Does anyone know what monsters are noted to have a Hive Mind? Either explicitly or implicitly, just in the vein that if one of them knows something then they all do, the sacrifice of individuals isn't considered a loss because the mind lives on, things like that. Obviously many various Swarms like Silthilar or Sheengrass (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psb/20040521d) do this, as well as any normal vermin that have established a Hive Mind by BoVD rules, but I'd prefer larger creatures that act as separate units while sharing one mind. Swarms are treated as one creature, so that's not the real feel I'm going for. The Formian Hive Mind is pretty much exactly what I'm talking about, creatures that use those same rules would be ideal. Arguably Kalabons from the FCII could fit the bill too, though less exactly. Any others?

ExLibrisMortis
2016-10-21, 02:58 PM
Legion devils and scouring constructs have hivemind-esque abilities. Scouring constructs don't really do 'mind', of course, but they form a collective pool of health.

Segev
2016-10-21, 03:03 PM
Sand hunters in Sandstorm have a hive mind. As do formians.

Nettlekid
2016-10-21, 03:04 PM
Legion devils and scouring constructs have hivemind-esque abilities. Scouring constructs don't really do 'mind', of course, but they form a collective pool of health.

Both great suggestions. Legion Devils are pretty perfect for the concept, sharing saving throws and becoming stronger the more that there are together. The Scouring Slinger and Scouring Stanchion definitely do have that hive feel, though it's not quite what I'm imagining. Any others?

Segev
2016-10-21, 03:07 PM
Cranium rats get stronger the more there are around.

Nettlekid
2016-10-21, 03:15 PM
Cranium rats get stronger the more there are around.

They do, though looking at the entries it's more or less just a concrete example of the BoVD Swarm Hive Mind rules. But you're right that they're called out for it as a function of their biology. The Sand Hunter example is good too.

Does anyone know of any that are less verminy? If it was more humanoid (in appearance, not necessarily in creature type) that would be interesting. Something that doesn't seem like it should have a Hive Mind, but it just does because that's how it works. The Legion Devil is good for that.

I'm not trying to find this for anything, by the way, just out of curiosity.

Inevitability
2016-10-21, 03:17 PM
A Hellwasp Swarm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/swarm.htm#hellwaspSwarm) explicitly has a hive mind.

Nettlekid
2016-10-21, 03:24 PM
A Hellwasp Swarm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/swarm.htm#hellwaspSwarm) explicitly has a hive mind.

But it's a Swarm which is treated like one creature, which I said in the OP I wasn't that interested in.

Braininthejar2
2016-10-21, 03:33 PM
Denizens of Dread has drownlings - evil fey that pretend to be drowning children, and grapple would-be rescuers. They always live in threes and can split damage received between themselves.

Inevitability
2016-10-21, 03:59 PM
Well, Mind Flayers seem to have a hivemind too. Lords of Madness (I believe) says that nearly all communication within their cities is sent through their Elder Brains. This both increases the control the latter have over their 'children' and allows for greater communication ranges.

Nettlekid
2016-10-21, 04:12 PM
Well, Mind Flayers seem to have a hivemind too. Lords of Madness (I believe) says that nearly all communication within their cities is sent through their Elder Brains. This both increases the control the latter have over their 'children' and allows for greater communication ranges.

This is definitely valid, and falls kind of under "implied" hivemind. Though functionally that's more like constantly reporting back to a superior who then disperses information. It's not like Mind Flayers have one mind. Mind Flayers are pretty individually intelligent, and any one of them isn't going to willingly sacrifice itself for the sake of a group.

ShurikVch
2016-10-21, 05:11 PM
Axiomatic Creature template gives Linked Minds SQ

"Actual Hive Mind":
Abeil (Monster Manual II)
Demonhive (Monster Manual IV)
Keeper (Fiend Folio)
Nerve Swimmers (Dragon #337)
Swarm-Shifter template (Libris Mortis)

as well as any normal vermin that have established a Hive Mind by BoVD rulesNot only Vermin - Animals too

Segev
2016-10-21, 09:07 PM
They do, though looking at the entries it's more or less just a concrete example of the BoVD Swarm Hive Mind rules. But you're right that they're called out for it as a function of their biology. The Sand Hunter example is good too.

Does anyone know of any that are less verminy? If it was more humanoid (in appearance, not necessarily in creature type) that would be interesting. Something that doesn't seem like it should have a Hive Mind, but it just does because that's how it works. The Legion Devil is good for that.

I'm not trying to find this for anything, by the way, just out of curiosity.
Shimmerling Swarms are swarms of Fine-sized Fey that look like elves with dragonfly wings.

But it's a Swarm which is treated like one creature, which I said in the OP I wasn't that interested in.
Oh. Well, Formians are individuals, and they explicitly enjoy a hive mind when near their queen (within 5 miles). And they have vaguely humanoid-ish torsos.

Nettlekid
2016-10-21, 09:39 PM
Oh. Well, Formians are individuals, and they explicitly enjoy a hive mind when near their queen (within 5 miles). And they have vaguely humanoid-ish torsos.

I brought up Formians in the OP.

So far the Legion Devils and the Keepers are the closest things to what I'm looking for, but it's still not quite there. The really ideal thing would be like the aliens from Edge of Tomorrow, which appear as though they're an army of individuals only have one mind. Even the Keepers are individual minds that are in constant communication, which isn't quite the same thing. I'd like to find an entity that is composed of many individual bodies that are treated as individual bodies (so Swarms don't work) but do not have personalities or feelings of their own, because they only have the collective mind. Look at Unity from Rick and Morty, that's what I'm talking about. Is there really no entity in D&D 3.5 that is stated to exist in that way?

Segev
2016-10-22, 10:42 AM
I brought up Formians in the OP.

So far the Legion Devils and the Keepers are the closest things to what I'm looking for, but it's still not quite there. The really ideal thing would be like the aliens from Edge of Tomorrow, which appear as though they're an army of individuals only have one mind. Even the Keepers are individual minds that are in constant communication, which isn't quite the same thing. I'd like to find an entity that is composed of many individual bodies that are treated as individual bodies (so Swarms don't work) but do not have personalities or feelings of their own, because they only have the collective mind. Look at Unity from Rick and Morty, that's what I'm talking about. Is there really no entity in D&D 3.5 that is stated to exist in that way?

Not really, no. Modrons are probably the closest, but even they can "malfunction" and become individualistic because their unity is in purpose and lack of sense of self, rather than genuinely being one mind in many bodies.

It's not really hard to make something up, though, that fits this bill. There's not really a strong mechanical effect associated with it beyond those of the normal "Hive Mind" rules. Just apply Hive Mind to a creature whose mechanics otherwise match what you want, and treat them the way you want to.

ShurikVch
2016-10-22, 01:23 PM
The really ideal thing would be like the aliens from Edge of Tomorrow, which appear as though they're an army of individuals only have one mind.I am, personally, unfamiliar with Edge of Tomorrow, but, according to Wiki (http://aliens.wikia.com/wiki/Mimic#Variants), only Omega was connected to them all
So, game have number of big monsters who telepathically control their pawns:
Neth, the Plane That Lives (Manual of the Planes): Neth's Children
Orcwort (Monster Manual II): Wortling
Ragnorra (Elder Evils): Blistered Souls, Progeny of Ragnorra template
Xhagevoxhab the Scarlet Lord (Dungeon #085): Scarlet Child template

ExLibrisMortis
2016-10-22, 02:21 PM
Dvati sort-of share a mind, but that's only two bodies. Maybe you can use fission on dvati?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-10-22, 02:36 PM
You can use some trickery with the BoVD's vermin lord to get this with any group of creatures. First of all, grow an oak tree somewhere that's well protected, and make sure it's mature enough to grow acorns (such as a sapling affected by the plant growth spell). This works best if the place it grows has the timeless trait in regards to magic, and the oak tree is fairly small. Bring together all of the critters you want in the hivemind (which can be polymorph any object'd into whatever forms you want them to take, including humanoid bodies), and give them all an acorn of far travel (using this trick (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?246396-Another-Addition-To-The-Tippyverse) or a variant thereof, if spellcasters are limited). Now, cast a couple of Chained/Ocular Spell'd polymorph or aspect of the wolf spells on everything you want to be part of the hivemind to give them the animal type.

Now, everyone and everything is set. Just form a hivemind out of everything you just made an animal. So long as they keep the acorns on their persons, they'll be considered to be sitting under the same oak tree, and thus within range to stay hiveminded. Feel free to surgically implant the acorns in their bodies. Since the tree is in a place where spell timers don't run out, the acorns (and all the rest of your Personal-range spells) will last indefinitely. If the tree is in a place that is timeless in regards to aging, you'll be immortal. If it's somewhere with the proper enhanced magic planar trait, you can add whatever metamagic feats you want, for free. If the gravity is subjective directional, you can now walk up walls and ceilings, or fly simply by changing gravity's direction. And so on.

Have fun with that.