PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Staff of Magius (Updated from 2e)

Zaydos
2016-10-21, 03:10 PM
Staff of Magius
Staff, artifact, (requires attunement by a 6th+ level wizard)

This staff functions as a +1 weapon. As a reaction it can be used to cast Feather Fall but only on the wielder. In addition it can be used to cast Continual Flame with no components; once this ability has been used it cannot be used again until dusk. These effects do not require attunement.

For an attuned wielder it grants its wielder a +1 bonus to AC and saves (2e this was 'as a +3 ring of protection, with the removal of them I just put it as a ring of protection) and a +2 to spell damage with spells based on Int (Was +2/die, but that'd be too much). In addition if Concentration is broken on a Concentration based spell that spell's effect continues for 1 round.

In addition it has 20 charges which can be used to perform a variety of effects. However one must first master the staff. As an action an attuned character may use one of these abilities and the DM rolls on the table below. If used in a time of danger the wielder may then attempt a DC 20 Intelligence (arcana) check, on a success they have learned the ability and may choose to use it instead of rolling at random. Did not originally have the 'time of danger' restriction, but required 3 uses of the same spell and even then rolling 1/2 Int or less on a d20 (so about the odds of a 13+). Changed it to fit in book uses where Magius and Raistlin both used it at random and didn't go 'well I have a week of downtime I learn all the secrets'.

To roll first roll 1d3 and then 1d8 on the proper subtable.

1 (1d3): All abilities on this table cost 1 charge.

1: Continual Light
2: Darkness
3: Detect Magic
4: Enlarge (may not use for reduce)
5: Feather Fall
6: Protection from Evil/Good
7: Make a melee spell attack which deals 3d8 damage, 4d8 damage if 11th level or higher, and 5d8 damage if 17th level or higher.
8: Arcane Lock with a duration of Concentration (up to 10 minutes).

2 (1d3): Each ability costs 2 charges.

1: Entangle
2: Jump
3: Gust of Wind
4: Knock
5: Magic Missile (2nd level slot, or 2 less than wielder's highest level slot whichever is higher) Was CL 5 Magic Missile, changed it so it stayed relevant. While hopefully not being a top level option.
6: Levitate
7: Spider Climb
8: Telekinesis with 25-ft range (I am unfamiliar with the spell in both editions so just carried over the shortened range blindly).

3 (1d3): Each ability costs 4 charges and a Constitution save DC 10 must be made or the wielder suffers 2 levels of Exhaustion (Was Con check vs -2 to all rolls, and halves movement for 2d6 rounds)

1: Dispel Magic (cast in a 3rd level slot, or 2 less than the wielder's highest level slot whichever is higher).
2: Feign Death
3: Fire Shield
4: Invisibility (cast in a 2nd level slot or 3 less than the wielder's highest whichever is higher)
5: Lightning Bolt (cast in a 3rd level slot, or 2 less than the wielder's highest whichever is higher) Was CL 6
6: Locate Object
7: Hold Monster
8: Conjure Animals except you summon either 8 swarms of bats, 8 swarms of rats, or 4 swarms of insects (either centipedes or spiders); if rolled randomly roll 1d6 (1-2 bats, 3-4 rats, 5 centipedes, 6 spiders). If you have 7th level spell slots double the normal of swarms summoned, if you have 9th level spell slots triple them.

The Staff of Magius regains 8 charges if a long rest is taken under the light of Solinari, or 1 if a short rest is taken, up to 8 per night.

So Questions: It's technically an artifact but still it should have a level range it'd be appropriate. Raistlin had it at 6th level but power wise even with the random effect I'd guess at it being closer to Very Rare or Legendary than a 6th level appropriate item, that said I'd prefer to get 2nd opinions since I don't know enough about magic items in play yet, or high level games to say.

I did my best to keep it faithful to the original, with the changes being mostly highlighted with blue text, though I didn't mention each time I made something scale by slots (obviously not a thing in 2e) or replacing Paralyze with Hold Monster.