PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Is this broken? Homebrew race movement features.

Venardhi
2016-10-22, 02:12 AM
I've been developing a group of races and other content to eventually release as something of a regional "northern" setting that could be plugged into nearly any world. This race has undergone the greatest changes and I am curious what you wise sages have to say on the subject.

I am particularly curious about how you feel on the subject of "A Leg Up" (intended by design to give them an effective increased movement speed [relative to their 25 foot base] in combat - but only in a straight line and only effective at the end of their overall motion) and the Skedaddle feature which allows them to GTFoutta dodge by spending their entire turn on using both Disengage and Dodge.

I had originally designed them with a 35 foot speed and a very different version of these racial features, but found this solution more interesting. I'd be very curious to hear if you share my opinion on the matter.

Ability Increase. Your Charisma score raises by 2 and your Intelligence score raises by 1.

Age. The Lurikeen may be argued to be adults by their 20s, but maturity often comes decades later and Lurikeen society does not view them as such until they have taken their first spouse and settled down. They can live well past a century.

Alignment. Lurikeen often joke among themselves that if their young were meant to obey, they would have been born in chains. Their small city-states and sprawling forest nations have never named a monarch or unifying government nor taken part in a war for anything but existential defense. While good-natured as a rule and usually meaning little harm, Lurikeen have a reputation as manipulative of others and are broadly considered as avaricious. As they grow into adulthood and settle down with the wealth of riches or humbling knowledge gained in their youth, their familial traditions and the comforts of a domestic life often dull this more chaotic bent in them.

Size. Lurikeen most commonly stand between 3' and 3 1/2 feet tall, though their long and animated ears can often lend them the appearance of greater height. They are lean but bottom-heavy, with powerful legs and broad hips. Most weigh around 45 lbs. Your size is small..

Speed. Your base walking speed is 25

Fast Talker. You are proficient with the Persuasion skill. Once per short rest you may re-roll any use of persuasion and use the second roll.

A Leg Up. Your movement from jumping is increased by half and falling damage is reduced by half.

Skedaddle. You have a strong sense of self-preservation with the evasive instincts to match. When using your action to Disengage, you may use Dodge as a bonus action.

Expert Appraiser. You may add double your proficiency bonus to Intelligence checks to determine an item's value.

Languages. You can speak, read and write Common and Sylvan. While Sylvan is the traditional tongue of the Lurikeen, Common has come to dominate commercial and public discourse in recent generations.

As always I appreciate any input you have to offer.

Thanks!

- Devin

Lalliman
2016-10-22, 06:09 AM
There's two ways to interpret your wording of A Leg Up. Either it simply increases jumping distance, which means it does nothing to increase your speed. (Jumping consumes movement as normal. Page 182 of the PHB.) Or, as I assume you intend it, a Lurikeen can spend 10 feet of movement to jump 15 feet. That would increase their total movement speed to 30 as long as they spend part of it moving in a straight line, or potentially more if they have increased movement speed from another source, which would allow them to jump twice per turn. It doesn't seem broken, but I don't really understand why you would implement such an awkward mechanic, nor do I understand the thematic implication. Short of being a kangaroo or frog (who can't move their legs in a running fashion at all), what kind of physiology would result in being able to jump faster than you can run? No offence, but I don't know what to make of it.

Skedaddle is fine though.

Venardhi
2016-10-22, 10:21 AM
They have a general Leporine theme. The hopping around was part of that.

Originally I had it at 2x (and I may well bring it back up to that) but without the specifics of it increasing movement when jumping. It is certainly a bit awkward but there does not seem to be consensus (even from the designers) on if increasing jumping distance alone would do the same. It gives them an appropriate movement speed for a small race (though 30 or even 35 is tempting given their inspirations) but with the option to move further if they can do so in a straight line.

SilverStud
2016-10-24, 11:22 AM
You could just say this:

Leaping and Bounding:
If you move at least 10 feet in a straight line, you may jump twice your normal jump distance. This jump can extend beyond your base walking speed.

This way it is a clearly stated feature, rather than "your movement from jumping is increased by half."

Venardhi
2016-10-24, 07:05 PM
My worry with wording along those lines is it might give the impression they can move 10 feet, take their action, move 10 feet, then jump 30 feet more. Far exceeding the intended movement increase.

Here is what I had in mind for it:

Base speed of 25 (may be adjusted to 30)
Jump distance up to double STR score.
Can only use remaining walking speed movement. So if their walk speed is 25 and they've moved 20 already, they can only make a jump up to 10 feet, doubling what they had remaining. From what I can gather, the RAI is that every round ends with you on the ground, since there is no mention of completing a jump or any other action or movement on another round.

Would something like this cover that?

Your movement from jumping is doubled. In combat this jump can extend beyond your base walking speed by no more than your remaining movement for the round.

( This of course assumes they already understand the rules for jumping and that a 10 foot movement beforehand is required to take full advantage. )

SilverStud
2016-10-25, 09:54 AM
It is still a bit difficult to grasp.

Maybe we can use MTG wording (lol)

You can jump X feet, where X is double your STR
OR
where X is double your remaining movement, whichever is smaller. This jump can end beyond your normal movement.

Venardhi
2016-10-25, 02:41 PM
Well that wouldn't be accurate either, or any more clear, since it isn't clear about the specifics of what kind of jump it is (running start vertical, flat footed vertical, running start horizontal, flat footed horizontal) and how it interacts with the other rules related to jumping.

Zaydos
2016-10-25, 02:53 PM
Something like: "When a Lurikeen jumps after moving at least 10 ft in a straight line they may jump up to twice the normal distance, and this costs them only 1 ft of movement per 2 ft of distance covered (instead of 1 for 1)."

Let's you move 10 ft jump 20 ft (assuming Str 10) then move 5 ft, or with Str 15 move 10 then jump 30 ft but have no movement remaining.

SilverStud
2016-10-25, 03:03 PM
There we go! That actually works well because of how moving when prone/difficult terrain/etc. is worded.