PDA

View Full Version : High powered Shocking Grasp?

Albions_Angel
2016-10-22, 08:09 AM
Hi all

So this is odd. The situation is rather unique and there is a reason I am asking for what I am. I would like everyone to take a deep breath and suppress their Min/Max tendencies right now.

I have need to find some high powered versions of Shocking Grasp and similar HP damaging touch spells.

If it helps to have an analogy, lets say a Duskblade has found a way to get spells all the way to 9th level, and wants to focus on actual damage. Not stat damage, not level drain, but flat damage.

Now, as it stands, a Duskblade typically uses Shocking Grasp until they get Vampiric Touch for direct damage. And thats about as far as it goes. If you have a nice DM, maybe you can slip Combust in there to bridge the gap for those things not immune to fire damage.

But what if the duskblade got spells all the way up to 9th? What damaging touch spells are there? I want to stress, I want HP damage, not ability damage.

The duskblade is the best analogy but this isnt for a character, this is for a custom magic weapon thats more fluff than crunch and will never, ever be used by a player. Thats why I would like you to stay on topic.

Thanks

Exocist
2016-10-22, 08:22 AM
This website (http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/FindSpell.php) might be able to help you.

A quick search can't find any damaging 9th level touch attack spells, but at 8th level you get - Bite of the King and Swallow.

I suppose you can repeat searching for each level going down, but you're probably just going to have to use metamagic to boost your touch attack spells (Maximise, Empower, Enhance, Intensify, etc.)

ZeroSpace9000
2016-10-22, 08:24 AM
The major problem is that past about level 5 or so, damaging touch spells become practically nonexistant, so this 'up to level 9' thing doesn't help a lot. If specific lists don't matter much, Harm is a potent upgrade. It can't drop someone, but a maximum of 150 damage Will Half is pretty spicy. Note it doesn't work on undead, and maybe constructs.

Albions_Angel
2016-10-22, 08:32 AM
The major problem is that past about level 5 or so, damaging touch spells become practically nonexistant, so this 'up to level 9' thing doesn't help a lot. If specific lists don't matter much, Harm is a potent upgrade. It can't drop someone, but a maximum of 150 damage Will Half is pretty spicy. Note it doesn't work on undead, and maybe constructs.

I thought that might be the case. By that point, typically you arnt killing stuff so much as turning it into a mouse and stepping on it. But I thought I would try anyway.

That said, I am not JUST looking for level 9 spells, but spells all the way up to it.

Nifft
2016-10-22, 08:53 AM
Stormwrack has Thalassemia at level 5.

Magic of Eberron has Storm Touch at level 5 and Scalding Touch at level 7.

I'd suggest adding Empowered & Admixtured versions to the small-ish mix of spells. An Admixtured 5th level spell would normally cost a 9th level slot, for example.

Fizban
2016-10-22, 09:00 AM
The book you want is Magic of Eberron, the spells are Scalding Touch and Storm Touch. 7th and 5th, higher level versions of Chill Touch with it's mult-use no-save damage and extra save negates rider effect. You can easily follow the pattern and add another at 3rd, even 9th if you want. They're not great for Duskblade since they lose the best part-massive efficiency from multiple touches, but they do go higher than Shocking Grasp and did I mention the massive efficiency of multiple touches? You don't need channel spell when you're holding the charge on a metamagic'd Storm Touch.

There's also Touch of the Graveborn in Complete Mage, but it's pretty terrible in comparison. Night's Caress, Spectral Touch, Emerald Flame Fist, and Blackfire in Spell Compendium. Rusting Grasp and Blight in core against appropriate foes. Of those, Night's Caress is the best through a sheer massive amount of con damage riding the main d6's, and Emerald Flame Fist should deliver well enough if you're okay with DoT.

If what you want is a spell that actually deals more than 1 die/level thanks to being touch restricted, not gonna find it, WotC is allergic to their own scaling curve.

Edit: and beaten while I was typing I see.