PDA

View Full Version : Campaign start levels

SMac8988
2016-10-22, 11:24 AM
I am sure every dm and player has a voice in this matter but what do you think is the best start level for a new story.

My friends and I are starting a new session while finishing another. I've been asked to dm, which is nice cause I have been missing it, but I was wondering the best level to start them. It's meant to be a constant story, meaning no real end game in sight. They have asked about possibly being a bit up in level since we normally start at one and have stopped a few times around 5. I am thinking a Ramorza, spelling wrong the fire cenetoede thing as the first boss, maybe just a baby if the big is way to strong. There will be 5 to 6 players, no idea on classes.

Thanks giants!

Zanthy1
2016-10-22, 11:27 AM
Starting at level 3 is pretty nice, access to 2nd level spells and most classes get their main path at 3rd level.

Laserlight
2016-10-22, 11:31 AM
I like starting at L3, but if your campaigns usually stop at 5, you might try starting there. That's high enough that if you want to multiclass, you've probably got a level or two in your second class; if you're single class, you've got your second attack or better spells.

Specter
2016-10-22, 11:53 AM
I usually start at level 2, to avoid a dead PC from a goblin crit and to allow the players to create a bit more backstory for their characters. I avoid level 3 because I think it's best for pcs to choose archetypes after seeing how the group plays out.

Zanthy1
2016-10-22, 11:57 AM
I usually start at level 2, to avoid a dead PC from a goblin crit and to allow the players to create a bit more backstory for their characters. I avoid level 3 because I think it's best for pcs to choose archetypes after seeing how the group plays out.

Thats actually a very good idea, I think i'll be starting at level 2 from now on unless specifically a high level adventure

Grod_The_Giant
2016-10-22, 12:10 PM
3 and 6 are petty good breakpoints, methinks. 3 is the end of the apprentice levels, while by ~6th you're into the full swing of things with your extra attack and second subclass feature.

SMac8988
2016-10-22, 01:08 PM
I was thinking 7, and giving them each a small magic item. Let's them have that umph that wang, but allows for growth and still come fun mobs to fight

Plaguescarred
2016-10-22, 01:17 PM
I find the best campaign start level is 1-3. Relatively low enought that your character just barely started or just hit a cap where it's defined a little more upon selecting its path.

Jarlhen
2016-10-22, 01:56 PM
To me between 5 and 9 is the best. 3 is the absolute minimum and i'd expect quick level ups at that point.

MrStabby
2016-10-22, 02:23 PM
4 is best i think.

5 is usually a big step up in power so it gives something to look forward to to really engage them with the character.

4 levels is also enough to develop their backstory including events that would be implausible for a level 1 or 2 character. Level 4 also allows both the archetype and a feat so is the lowest level the players can really begin to differentiate their character.

Contrast
2016-10-22, 03:35 PM
My personal preference would be to start at 3 - this is partly because its kind of difficult to explain how the rogue and fighter suddenly realised how to cast spells in the middle of a dungeon crawl or the warlock suddenly have a familiar etc. and it allows your characters to have their pre-campaign history reflect those things. You could make a similar argument you level 4 I guess and feats (my character is an actor - why does he suddenly get much better at acting after killing some goblins?).

If your party is new to 5E I think theres a definate argument for level 1 as it does allow people to get to grips with how the class works on a steady basis but once you've played a few characters I think everyone knows what archetype they're going to pick when you start so you may as well just crack on in my opinion.

Sigreid
2016-10-22, 03:58 PM
If I'm not going to start at 1, I think three is nice. Everyone is high enough to get their archetype and some fun toys, but low enough level to not feel like they are already trapped with their big choices already made.

Gastronomie
2016-10-22, 06:59 PM
As a DM, after some experience, I've found I like to start the game at mid-levels (8-11), mainly because I like throwing a lot of pretty murderous monsters at the adventurers. Discovering synergy between monsters and spells is a fun thing to do, but doing it against a low-level party might result in an undeserved TPK, since low-level characters tend to have not many table-turning abilities.

Arkhios
2016-10-23, 08:11 AM
I prefer to start low (1 to 3) for various reasons.
- new players or new classes for each player might need some time to figure out how their characters work. Too much abilities to handle and learn from the start can be a hell of a burden. It's generally easier to learn new abilities gradually, in my opinion.

- at lower levels progress through levels feels more pronounced (because it is more frequent if you go by individual XP's, as we often do). Also gaining new levels faster at first can get players hooked into the experience and want more. If you start at higher levels it's possible that players may begin to feel a lack of sense of progress. As if their characters were running waist deep in swamp, going nowhere.
Besides, it's fun, to me at least, to witness the character's rise from nothingness (first few levels) and become world shaking force that can change the course of history.

CaptainSarathai
2016-10-23, 06:57 PM
I tend to start near 3. New players start at 1 so they can learn the game and learn their characters.
I prefer starting veterans at 3 though, because:
1) Fights are only dangerous if I want them to be. No Goblin crit-kills, I have room on the bottom to make fights easier without making them small.
2) You get your Archetype. Wanting to go EK for example, to be a proper Gish is a slog through those first two levels, when you don't have any spells. The party gets used to you being a Fighter and maybe even feeling a little "under-magicked" until you hit that milestone and suddenly: spells. How do you RP suddenly gaining magical abilities you never had before? Much easier to just start everyone with their spells.

Kane0
2016-10-23, 07:37 PM
For people completely new to the game I start at 1 to teach from the ground up and avoid overwhelming them

For those coming from another edition or have basic knowledge I start at 2 since they get nice stuff but usually dont have to decide on a lot of things just yet

For a new campaign with an established group usually level 3 (unless we are trying something different, which is often) because they know what theyre doing, can make decsions and use abilities

For a high power game we start at 5 or 6 because we don't want to waste time at low levels

CaptainSarathai
2016-10-23, 08:14 PM
I'm wondering what starting at 5th level feels like. Even just from a story standpoint, by the time you hit level5 you're supposed to be a regional hero.

JAL_1138
2016-10-23, 09:32 PM
I'm wondering what starting at 5th level feels like. Even just from a story standpoint, by the time you hit level5 you're supposed to be a regional hero.

It really depends. If it's a generally higher-powered world, you might still be a raw recruit, fresh out of your (probably extensive) training. Or, in another setting, you might have been around the block and gone through a few adventures but not have any real fame. Or in yet another setting you might be the equivalent of a spec-ops team, or the local champions with the keys to the city and statues in your honor outside city hall. It also depends on the enemies you encounter. If the first things you fight are kobolds, you'll probably feel pretty strong. If the first things you fight are frost giants, starting at 5th level likely won't make you feel particularly powerful.

RedGeomancer
2016-10-23, 11:06 PM
First, I agree with starting at higher levels for experienced players. I've ground out 1st level a lotta times in previous editions, and it no longer holds much interest for me. I feel like it's particularly challenging as a DM to come up with interesting nonlethal challenges for 1st level players. It ends up being a lot of goblins. (LMoP anyone?)

I've only run 5e for two groups so far. One was completely new players, so I started them at 1st level. Another is a group experienced with D&D but new to 5e. I started them at 3rd level. I think even at 2nd level characters are a little too likely to die (or at least have to make death saves) from one good blow from a supposedly appropriate CR monster. *Average* crit damage from a bugbear (CR 1) would outright kill a 2nd level wizard with CON 10.The breathing room of another hit die also allows for some interesting RP choices, like my player whose warlock has a CON penalty because the character is sickly.

Additionally, I found that all of my players already had archetypes in mind, so starting at 3rd level basically gave them what they wanted anyway. The description of the paladin's Sacred Oath says: "Some characters with this class don't consider themselves true paladins until they have reached 3rd level and made this oath." I feel like this can be generalized to the other classes as well. Eldritch Knight and Arcane Tricksters stand out as painful ones for players to slog through two levels without really being what the player wants to play, and as others noted earlier, there's also the weirdness of a muggle suddenly knowing how to cast spells.

MrStabby
2016-10-24, 01:05 PM
Regarding starting levels:

Dont forget you can use accelerated XP to levelup quicker if you want to focus on higher level play whilst preserving backstory.

You can also allow adventured in downtime so some character development and leveling up happens "offscreen" whilst you can have a level appropriate high level plot.

Tanarii
2016-10-24, 01:25 PM
For one-offs (ie one shot adventures, or mini-adventure arcs, spanning 3-4 levels), I like to start characters at 1 level below a major break point, as opposed to at the break point. Then when they've gotten used to the characters and the "situation" is beginning to unfold, I either milestone them or pace the final step-in to get them up to the break point level. For example in 5e I like my start levels to be 4, 10, and even once at 16. (When I'm using pre-published material I often have to tweak it because it often assumes you start at a break point, not right before it. Of course 5e doesn't really have much in the way of modules appropriate for one-shots, unless you want to string together AL Explorations adventures.)

It sounds like you start your one-offs at level 1. That's great, but personally I prefer that for full campaigns, be it in the traditional meaning of the word (ie open sandbox world that goes on with or without character/party) or the more modern "follow a specific group of characters through a series of adventures/modules/an adventure path".

Rerem115
2016-10-24, 01:34 PM
A lot of the campaigns I've been in had me start at level 6. Granted, that may be because I joined those campaigns late. :smalltongue: