PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Weird question; is anyone making handbooks for DMs guild classes?

Nishant
2016-10-22, 02:03 PM
Sorry for the odd question, but I was curious if anyone was taking on handbooks the way folks usually do for core classes. I understand some of those would be easier than others, and there are plenty of classes that haven't been balanced well enough to warrant it, so to speak, but I wanted to make sure. Even beyond the optimization, it helps as a guide for those who don't usually play a certain archetype.

If not, I guess I should start the trend.

SharkForce
2016-10-22, 02:14 PM
it seems like the sort of thing that is going to need to pick up more momentum before people start really getting into it. if only a handful of people have even looked at the class, there likely isn't much demand for a guide, and it seems like a lot of effort for not much gain.

we might start seeing some for DM's guild classes that get thousands of downloads and widespread attention. and honestly, in a way i kinda wish WotC still did DM's guild spotlights (just don't call it unearthed arcana and i think it would go over fine) so that there might be a chance of that sort of thing happening.

but basically, until a given homebrew thing gains enough momentum to be fairly widely accepted, i doubt we'll see much supporting material based on that homebrew.

JakOfAllTirades
2016-10-22, 04:48 PM
I asked about a guide for the Blood Hunter a while back, but so far nobody has put one together. I'm currently playing a Ghost Slayer Blood Hunter Vhuman (TWF) in the Curse of Strahd campaign, and he's up to 5th level. I should at least post a few notes on this build. It's got a lot going for it, and there are some traps to avoid, etc. Doubt that I could write a full class guide, though.

MeeposFire
2016-10-22, 05:04 PM
Well if you really want to increase the popularity of things like those classes people interested should at least try to create a guide. Doing so brings them to other people's attention otherwise they are easy to miss or ignore.

Granted making those guides can be time consuming but can be worthwhile. Also note that they are no where near the time and effort as 3e or 4e guides would be. The biggest trick if you do not feel like you have great knowledge on the subject is to write it out using a different but similar class as a guide. What works for a similar class probably works for this class as an example much (though not all) of what is good for a melee str based fighter is also the same sort of stuff that is good for a barbarian. After that just add some stuff that is unique to the class for example in a barbarian guide using the fighter guide as a base you would remove all ideas of heavy armor because barbarians would not use it but you would keep things like PAM and the like and then tweek it to even better fit the barbarian. Once you get that far then you can take what advice other people bring to the guide to make it ever more accurate. People will disagree with your initial writings but if you take the advice others give you (after vetting it of course) then you will make an effective guide.

One last thing that can save time is to avoid one thing I see in some guides for 5e but I especially see in 3e guides which is you do NOT have to list everything. Only list the things that thematic, effective, or really bad but common (so you can persuade people to not make actively bad choices). 5e does not have that may things so it may not be too much of an issue but I can name a number of guides (mostly 3e) where they try to list every feat ever and the like and it would take WAY too much of your time and it just clutters up the guide making it harder to use.

Nishant
2016-10-22, 09:50 PM
I guess I'll give it a shot then. I have a Blood Hunter myself, so why not give it a shot? I guess expect some stuff in the coming days?