PDA

View Full Version : Characters goals may change him fundementally

zylodrizzt
2016-10-22, 07:04 PM
So my character is a tiefling shadow sorc currently and will go warlock undying light. The way i have wrote it for my character is that he was human when he changed he gained the powers of a shadow sorc. When he gains his warlock levels his patron will be his dead wifes spirit. His goals are to be human again and fully revive his wife. He may never reach his goals and thats ok. However i feel that if he did reach these goals he will have to reclass. So the question i have to ask is what could he play that would be similiar in play style while preferably no magic or very little magic (maybe he learned something or its residual)?

There are a few charcter restrictions as well such as humans dont get the bonus feat. Bards dont exist. You have to be at least 5th level in a spellcasting class before u can be a wizard. You can only be 10th level in any one class. I believe that is all the restrictions but ill check later.

ruy343
2016-10-22, 07:56 PM
Those are some very strange restrictions to classes... but I'll move on.

Now, if you want your wife to be your patron, she must have been very powerful (which I doubt), or you've made a pact with someone else (who may take the form of your wife to communicate their desires to you).

In terms of storytelling, I think that the being that gave you the opportunity to raise her to life would, in return, require your service and would prevent you from having time to enjoy their gift to you, as so often happens when dark pacts are made. When (if?) she returns to life, she could also be changed entirely (for better or worse). It could even be a plot point of the story: the being you've made a deal with tricked you into thinking that they were in fact your wife, and now you've provided a means for an eldritch being to enter the world in the form of a woman. You retain your warlock powers because while the pact may have been originally due to your patron granting you their power, you now know how to access it against their wishes.

All of this is, of course, not up to you. The DM gets to decide how to rule this situation. Feel free to present these options to them and allow them to tell their story; worry about your character's goals and such when the opportune time arrives in the story.

NecroDancer
2016-10-22, 08:11 PM
Perhaps your patron uses your wife's spirit to communicate to you.

DanyBallon
2016-10-23, 08:41 AM
If you are willing, and meet the prerequisite, to change class again after bringing you wife back to life, then you could go for a more martial class that would allow you to protect her so you won't lose her ever again. Fighter, or paladin - oath of devotion or oath of the crown (both dedicated to your wife) could be a good starting point.

On the other hand, I like the above idea, that your patron might be tricking you, by using the spirit of your dead wife.

djreynolds
2016-10-24, 12:27 AM
Those are some very strange restrictions to classes... but I'll move on.

Now, if you want your wife to be your patron, she must have been very powerful (which I doubt), or you've made a pact with someone else (who may take the form of your wife to communicate their desires to you).

In terms of storytelling, I think that the being that gave you the opportunity to raise her to life would, in return, require your service and would prevent you from having time to enjoy their gift to you, as so often happens when dark pacts are made. When (if?) she returns to life, she could also be changed entirely (for better or worse). It could even be a plot point of the story: the being you've made a deal with tricked you into thinking that they were in fact your wife, and now you've provided a means for an eldritch being to enter the world in the form of a woman. You retain your warlock powers because while the pact may have been originally due to your patron granting you their power, you now know how to access it against their wishes.

All of this is, of course, not up to you. The DM gets to decide how to rule this situation. Feel free to present these options to them and allow them to tell their story; worry about your character's goals and such when the opportune time arrives in the story.

I like this, you might think it is your wife, but perhaps you don't know really know who your patron is. Perhaps your patron is lying to you, like the Emperor and Darth Vader... Skywalker did all this to save Padme's life, and... in the end Anakin killed Padme.

Let the DM surprise you.