PDA

View Full Version : Player Help My Barbarian knows Wish. What do?

theonesin
2016-10-22, 08:39 PM
The group I'm in runs a 5e campaign as a backup for when we're missing people, and it's kinda wacky and one-off in terms of seriousness. Though a series of events, my level 1(after the session ended, level 3) Barbarian became possessed by a demon, and can now cast Wish(and Sleep) once per day.

I'm not overly familiar with 5e yet, but I know Wish is powerful in other editions. What cool stuff can I do with it?

Thrudd
2016-10-22, 09:12 PM
Day 1, wish to be level 20. Win the game.

Aembrosia
2016-10-22, 09:12 PM
wish for a ring of three wishes and then use one of those wishes to wish for a luck blade and then use your remaining 1d4+1 wishes to wish for a collection of fine hats.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-10-22, 09:32 PM
In the interest of not self-destructing the campaign, I suggest accidentally wishing for minor things-- "huh, I really wish I had some hot sauce to go with this roast- ah, dang it."

theonesin
2016-10-22, 09:37 PM
Well, so far I've only used it twice, both to cast Remove Curse(curing a party member of lycanthropy, and later the NPC who gave her lycanthropy). In-character, the party doesn't know I can use Wish, or that I'm possessed(though they know SOMETHING'S off).

Ghost Nappa
2016-10-22, 11:10 PM
When you're ready to end the campaign, Wish for a Deck of Many Things, walk up to NPCs, and tell them to pick a card.

In the meantime, wish for ale, gold, and prostitutes. Don't fault the classics.

Sigreid
2016-10-22, 11:29 PM
I'd start wishing for permanent resistances. Might burn out the spell, but then it would really be burning out the demon's wish spell, so that's not a bad thing.

NecroDancer
2016-10-23, 12:02 AM
The DM gave you the ability to cast sleep!!!???? OP you need to be nerfed

Âmesang
2016-10-24, 11:15 AM
Wish for meat. All of the meat.

I wonder how's Harry Partridge doing on Starbarians?

Maxilian
2016-10-24, 11:15 AM
wish for a ring of three wishes and then use one of those wishes to wish for a luck blade and then use your remaining 1d4+1 wishes to wish for a collection of fine hats.

I would love any player that actually do this if i'm DM, but i'm pretty sure i won't let him get that far but still its quite fun.

Shaofoo
2016-10-24, 11:44 AM
Day 1, wish to be level 20. Win the game.

Okay you are level 20, but you still have the stats of level 1 so you are as good as you can ever be. Or if I am a bit more lenient then you gain the capstone of +4 STR and CON and that's it, enjoy being level 20.

Sure you can wish for the ring of three wishes but the ring actually was passed along to three other people so when it comes to you then you are left with no wishes and who knows what else can happen.

When you're ready to end the campaign, Wish for a Deck of Many Things, walk up to NPCs, and tell them to pick a card.

In the meantime, wish for ale, gold, and prostitutes. Don't fault the classics.

Well you can wish for the deck but then the deck spills over and you basically draw every card at once.

Seriously, no monkey paw mentioning here? If you don't care about your character then wish for hookers and blow to snort up and give you lap dances respectively but if you actually care about your character then you should stick to copying spells. Wish gives the DM the right to screw you over if he wants to and it'll be your fault.

EvilAnagram
2016-10-24, 11:59 AM
Day 1: Wish for a puppy.

Day 2: Wish for a puppy.

Day 3: Wish for war to sweep through the land that you might sate your thirst for blood.

Day 4: Wish for a puppy.

Sigreid
2016-10-24, 12:33 PM
Okay you are level 20, but you still have the stats of level 1 so you are as good as you can ever be. Or if I am a bit more lenient then you gain the capstone of +4 STR and CON and that's it, enjoy being level 20.

Sure you can wish for the ring of three wishes but the ring actually was passed along to three other people so when it comes to you then you are left with no wishes and who knows what else can happen.

Well you can wish for the deck but then the deck spills over and you basically draw every card at once.

Seriously, no monkey paw mentioning here? If you don't care about your character then wish for hookers and blow to snort up and give you lap dances respectively but if you actually care about your character then you should stick to copying spells. Wish gives the DM the right to screw you over if he wants to and it'll be your fault.

To be fair, the suggestion was to wish for the deck of many things when you were ready for the campaign to be over. The implication was to just blow the whole thing up.

Sicarius Victis
2016-10-24, 12:34 PM
Use the spell in slightly subtler ways, to avoid drawing attention to the fact that you're possessed.

Possibly use the spell to put the demon under the Barbarian's control, to avoid it being the other way around.

Besides that, save it for the times when you really need a higher-level spell.

Oramac
2016-10-24, 01:01 PM
In the interest of not self-destructing the campaign, I suggest accidentally wishing for minor things-- "huh, I really wish I had some hot sauce to go with this roast- ah, dang it."

I second this suggestion.

Ghost Nappa
2016-10-24, 01:15 PM

Not exactly. If you're Level 20, you would get all of the benefits of being Level 20 because that's what being Level 20 means. Being Level 20 means having all of the benefits of the prior 19 levels and also the ones from Level 20.

A ring of three wishes becomes non-magical after the wishes are used. Therefore, a ring without any wishes in it is not a ring of three wishes, and thus cannot be conjured by the wish.

1) That was kind of point of the suggestion because it's the magical equivalent of campaign nuke. Only I specified doing to NPCs for the lulz.
2) The deck's magic doesn't work unless you explicitly specify you state the number of cards you're going to draw from it. You can't just drop it and have all the cards work...
3) ...and even if they did all happen at once, you can use the effects of several of the cards to negate each other and chain infinite wishes. Use Fates to negate Void. Fight off the Avatar of Death from Skull (shouldn't be too difficult, you're at least a level 9 Barbarian from Jester and Sun), then use a Wish from Moon to end the NPC's hostility from Rogue (this is explicitly a legitimate use of Wish as said by the Rogue card), use a second to draw another Fates card to negate Euryale, and then use the third one to draw another Moon card. Use the first wish to draw another Fates card (use it to negate Ruin), use the second wish to draw a Fates card to negate Flames, and then use the third to draw another Moon card.

They're not hookers until they're dead, Cyril! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW0NtG7X8Ys)

It's a one-shot silly campaign and the character is a Barbarian not a spellcaster. If he gains some means of Wish that is outside the demon's control, (Ring, Luck Blade, Deck, Genie, etc.) simply wait a day, then use the Demon's wish to remove the demon's influence, and then be free from the Monkey's Paw issue of having an evil creature. It's not like he can spellcast and rage at the same time anyway.

RickAllison
2016-10-24, 01:24 PM
Day 1: Wish for a puppy.

Day 2: Wish for a puppy.

Day 3: Wish for war to sweep through the land that you might sate your thirst for blood.

Day 4: Wish for a puppy.

"I possess the capability to re-write reality at my whim! Fear the awesome might that is my power!"

"Oh great Thrognash, what have you done with this power?"

"I have assembled the most diabolically adorable petting zoo in all the planes! From the humble shrew to the collossal dinosaurs, all are here and want nothing more than cuddles and friendship with other animals! With this abundance of cuteness, I will expunge evil from the land, leaving me as its sole conqueror. Then, I shall spread this toothed lands!"

"That doesn't seem evil..."

"Of course an Evil Overlord can't be bothered to manage the day-to-day affairs of his realms or to seek out underlings for such. Thus I will establish a system where my minions shall select the governors through a system where all are equal so that I don't have to bother with who should be more privileged."

"That's really more of a Good society..."

"And I don't want to hear any complaining or deal with vagrants on the street. The governors will have to manage the land so that those who cannot find work will find some in the task of maintaining the kingdom, while those who cannot and who do not have relatives able to do so shall be maintained by the kingdom."

"Ummmmmm..."

EvilAnagram
2016-10-24, 01:44 PM
"I possess the capability to re-write reality at my whim! Fear the awesome might that is my power!"

"Oh great Thrognash, what have you done with this power?"

"I have assembled the most diabolically adorable petting zoo in all the planes! From the humble shrew to the collossal dinosaurs, all are here and want nothing more than cuddles and friendship with other animals! With this abundance of cuteness, I will expunge evil from the land, leaving me as its sole conqueror. Then, I shall spread this toothed lands!"

"That doesn't seem evil..."

"Of course an Evil Overlord can't be bothered to manage the day-to-day affairs of his realms or to seek out underlings for such. Thus I will establish a system where my minions shall select the governors through a system where all are equal so that I don't have to bother with who should be more privileged."

"That's really more of a Good society..."

"And I don't want to hear any complaining or deal with vagrants on the street. The governors will have to manage the land so that those who cannot find work will find some in the task of maintaining the kingdom, while those who cannot and who do not have relatives able to do so shall be maintained by the kingdom."

"Ummmmmm..."

My gods, can no one defend us from this fiend?

smcmike
2016-10-24, 01:47 PM
Day 1: I wish I was a little bit taller.
Day 2: I wish I was a baller
Day 3: I wish I had a girl who looked good, I would call her

Thrudd
2016-10-24, 05:06 PM

That's only day 1. Or are you saying that he'd need to word the wish properly or you'd have him write "level 20" on the sheet but not give him the attendant HP or proficiency bonus or class abilities? That would be a good thing for a DM to do. Wishes that ask for extra power should always screw over the player in some way. No free rides.
However, over the next week, all his abilities should be at 20 as well. He can wish every day. So even if he screws up the first one, he can undo it and word it correctly the next day.
If he has level 20 abilities and HP in a level 1 adventure, he wins the game.

Shaofoo
2016-10-24, 07:29 PM
Not exactly. If you're Level 20, you would get all of the benefits of being Level 20 because that's what being Level 20 means. Being Level 20 means having all of the benefits of the prior 19 levels and also the ones from Level 20.

Not really, being level 20 means being level 20. Nothing says that one has to retroactivley give you the levels that you decide to skip over or even just set your level to a new value and not give you anything for it. Again monkey paw at work. You are no one to complain if things don't end up the way you want it.

A ring of three wishes becomes non-magical after the wishes are used. Therefore, a ring without any wishes in it is not a ring of three wishes, and thus cannot be conjured by the wish.

There is a difference between a ring not being magical and a ring turning into something else entirely. A non magical ring of thee wishes is still a ring of three wishes just because you don't

Besides the wish totally made a magical ring of three wishes, it just got passed around to your detriment before you got it.

1) That was kind of point of the suggestion because it's the magical equivalent of campaign nuke. Only I specified doing to NPCs for the lulz.
2) The deck's magic doesn't work unless you explicitly specify you state the number of cards you're going to draw from it. You can't just drop it and have all the cards work...

Yeah gonna stop you there. Monkey paw lets me do whatever and you have no say.

3) ...and even if they did all happen at once, you can use the effects of several of the cards to negate each other and chain infinite wishes. Use Fates to negate Void. Fight off the Avatar of Death from Skull (shouldn't be too difficult, you're at least a level 9 Barbarian from Jester and Sun), then use a Wish from Moon to end the NPC's hostility from Rogue (this is explicitly a legitimate use of Wish as said by the Rogue card), use a second to draw another Fates card to negate Euryale, and then use the third one to draw another Moon card. Use the first wish to draw another Fates card (use it to negate Ruin), use the second wish to draw a Fates card to negate Flames, and then use the third to draw another Moon card.

Or we do things in order like the Deck says and see what happens. You can end up dead before you even get any good cards.

It's a one-shot silly campaign and the character is a Barbarian not a spellcaster. If he gains some means of Wish that is outside the demon's control, (Ring, Luck Blade, Deck, Genie, etc.) simply wait a day, then use the Demon's wish to remove the demon's influence, and then be free from the Monkey's Paw issue of having an evil creature. It's not like he can spellcast and rage at the same time anyway.

Monkey Paw comes from the wish itself, regardless if an evil demon, ring or whatever does it. Monkey Paw is the Dm able to do things outside of the rules (like the way you go outside the rules in Wish) to punish you for trying to do too much.

That's only day 1. Or are you saying that he'd need to word the wish properly or you'd have him write "level 20" on the sheet but not give him the attendant HP or proficiency bonus or class abilities? That would be a good thing for a DM to do. Wishes that ask for extra power should always screw over the player in some way. No free rides.
However, over the next week, all his abilities should be at 20 as well. He can wish every day. So even if he screws up the first one, he can undo it and word it correctly the next day.
If he has level 20 abilities and HP in a level 1 adventure, he wins the game.

Nah, more like not abuse the power given.

If you want to win the game just ask the DM to win the game at that point. Seriously if winning the game is ever of any concern then I don't know why you even play D&D.

RickAllison
2016-10-24, 10:01 PM
Not really, being level 20 means being level 20. Nothing says that one has to retroactivley give you the levels that you decide to skip over or even just set your level to a new value and not give you anything for it. Again monkey paw at work. You are no one to complain if things don't end up the way you want it.

There is a difference between a ring not being magical and a ring turning into something else entirely. A non magical ring of thee wishes is still a ring of three wishes just because you don't

Besides the wish totally made a magical ring of three wishes, it just got passed around to your detriment before you got it.

Or we do things in order like the Deck says and see what happens. You can end up dead before you even get any good cards.

Monkey Paw comes from the wish itself, regardless if an evil demon, ring or whatever does it. Monkey Paw is the Dm able to do things outside of the rules (like the way you go outside the rules in Wish) to punish you for trying to do too much.

If you want to win the game just ask the DM to win the game at that point. Seriously if winning the game is ever of any concern then I don't know why you even play D&D.

Yeah, Shaofoo you don't understand what a "monkey paw" is. A "monkey paw" is not just screwing with the recipient by giving them what they didn't want (that's just being a duck! Also allowed with Wish, and the DM can even say it flat doesn't happen, but that isn't a monkey paw), but on giving them exactly what they want in a way they find they don't want.

Take the Deck of Many Things. Spilling it and activating them all at once (and then not even simultaneously like they were "drawn"? Monkey paws are always consistent) wouldn't be a monkey paw as you have gone totally outside it being a DoMT as it doesn't function like a DoMT. No, a monkey paw would be (as has been established as possible) a deck that is missing a few (benevolent) cards. It is still a DoMT, but they didn't wish for a complete one! It could also be a DoMT that gives things in the absolute worst manner by making them monkey paws on their own (inheriting a dead uncle's castle... And his debts to certain unpleasant people, for example).

For a Ring of Three Wishes, why would you ever give them a wasted ring! If he is wishing for a wishing item, it is likely to give it to another. But that person is innocent of wrongdoing! So make all of their wishes monkey paws back to the barbarian, so his act of generosity screws him over. Alternatively, go the Wishmaster route and have the ring be a prison for a powerful being who knows who trapped him and so wants revenge both on the person who used him and the barbarian. Really, why would any good DM waste such a wonderful chance to creatively reverse those wishes?

Being level 20 is a little harder, but there are plenty of ways to screw over the barbarian for it that fulfill the wish honestly while being a monkey paw. My favorite is making the levels retroactive so the person has gone on numerous adventures and reached that point. They are a true hero of the plane, even being known amongst the gods and other extraplanar beings. They have made many allies who would happily answer the call for help, but also many enemies who have been foiled. And there is the rub, you do not give the PC the memories of what he has been through, just the power.

Unbeknownst to him, his heroic self has stationed himself in a position to learn of a plot by all his defeated foes to finally eliminate him, but that required going incognito. He has powerful magic items, but doesn't remember where he stashed them. He has kings and gods he could call at the proper summonses, but he doesn't remember the words. He has all the accumulated power and resources that one would expect of a level 20 PC, but can't access any of them. He also has all the enemies, and they very much can access him.

He gets exactly what he wants, to be a level 20 PC. And he is about to die because of it. All he has to face an army of horrible villains are his class features and feats, his ordinary level 1 equipment, and his level 1 allies. "What do you guys mean, you won't die beside me?"

Sicarius Victis
2016-10-24, 10:56 PM
Snip

You really don't get the "monkey paw" stuff at all, do you? That's exactly how it DOESN'T work. As was mentioned before, a "monkey paw" effect doesn't twist the wish to screw someone over, it just gives them exactly what they asked for, whether or not that's what they actually wanted.

And no, the "monkey paw" doesn't in any way, shape, or form break the rules. It doesn't twist them. It uses the exact rules it was given, it just adds additional things where there aren't rules to clearly define either way.

Thrudd
2016-10-24, 11:33 PM

If the DM gives a level 1 character (or any character) unlimited wishes, they deserve whatever happens to the game. "Winning the game" was a phrase I used facetiously. We all know nobody literally "wins" D&D, but having unlimited wishes is basically the closest you can get to it. You might as well just say the game is over, there's no point playing because the characters can have anything they want whenever they want it, and the DM did it to themselves. Start over and this time don't give anybody wishes until they earn them.

Batou1976
2016-10-25, 01:35 AM
Here's how I would handle a player having his PC wish "to be level 20": the wish doesn't necessarily have to be fulfilled instantaneously or all at once. So, the PC attains level 20... after undergoing the adventures and timespan it would take to accumulate the required XP. The wish doesn't grant the levels/ XP, it merely ensures you survive long enough to properly earn it. This way, the wish is fulfilled as stated, yet its intent is perverted from what the PC wanted without dickishly screwing over the player [Monkey Paw isn't a requirement after all]. This of course means the DM is going to have to ensure the PC survives, or gets resurrected/ raised if they die, and possibly means the DM will need to keep the campaign going long enough to attain level 20. If the current story arc/ campaign ends and everyone decides to start over with new PCs and the wishing player asks "but what about my level 20?"... well, that's what you get for trying to use a wish to break the game. :smallamused: Have the new campaign take place a bit in the future, and have the new PCs hear about the legendary exploits of our hapless wishmaster, including details making it clear the character did in fact reach lv 20.

Of course, why are you even allowing wishes to be phrased in game terms anyway? This is what the character is wishing for isn't it? Your PC doesn't know they're a fictional character in an RPG, therefore doesn't know about classes and levels and HPs and all that and thus can't ask to become level 20.

Finally... all this rot is basically why wishes have never been available in games I've run. Generally none have ever lasted long enough for PC casters to have 9th level spells available, and items with wishes have never been in any treasure I've awarded. :durkon:

Socratov
2016-10-25, 02:20 AM

In the meantime, wish for ale, gold, and prostitutes crushing your enemies, seeing your enemies driven before you and hearing the lamentations of their women. Don't fault the classics.

fixed that for you! (if you really want to keep to the classics)

SillyPopeNachos
2016-10-25, 05:38 AM
Find a better DM, it should be pretty easy

Citan
2016-10-25, 05:49 AM
The group I'm in runs a 5e campaign as a backup for when we're missing people, and it's kinda wacky and one-off in terms of seriousness. Though a series of events, my level 1(after the session ended, level 3) Barbarian became possessed by a demon, and can now cast Wish(and Sleep) once per day.

I'm not overly familiar with 5e yet, but I know Wish is powerful in other editions. What cool stuff can I do with it?
If I were to put aside consideration for party and campaign, I'd wish to gain experience 5x fast as normal.
(then, in the DM's place, I'd make me realize that my wish was granted because I actually "live" 5x faster, so I will age 5x faster and die 5x earlier. Because imo greedy people should meet with consequences XD).

As for using if in a sensed way, I agree with others you should try to use it in subtle ways...
Such as, you are lost and without provisions, and you just *wish* someone could come by and help you...
Not a bad example, I know, but idea is to make things happen "by chance", except you know it's entirely thanks to you. ;)
- Good for party because you help in the big picture.
- Fun for you because you actually have to think about what to wish for, and how to wish it to keep it secret.
- Fun for the group as a whole because you are roleplaying your powerful ability, and especially the DM who knows he doesn't have a cheeser on his hands, but instead can "open" some situations to see what you could come up with.

Shaofoo
2016-10-25, 11:49 AM
Yeah, Shaofoo you don't understand what a "monkey paw" is. A "monkey paw" is not just screwing with the recipient by giving them what they didn't want (that's just being a duck! Also allowed with Wish, and the DM can even say it flat doesn't happen, but that isn't a monkey paw), but on giving them exactly what they want in a way they find they don't want.

Which can include screwing the player over. Nothing that you have said has invalidated what I have said. Sure it can be a benign choice (wishing for food and getting a hamburger when you wanted steak is technically monkey paw) but most people liken it to the old "be careful what you wish for" trope.

And yes it can totally include something that the recipient didn't want as long as the wish is followed. The feelings of whoever cast the wish doesn't matter. If you want to wish an enemy dead and instead he gets turned into a lich then he is still technically dead even though you probably meant that you wanted him gone instead of technically dead. That is monkey paw.

Take the Deck of Many Things. Spilling it and activating them all at once (and then not even simultaneously like they were "drawn"? Monkey paws are always consistent) wouldn't be a monkey paw as you have gone totally outside it being a DoMT as it doesn't function like a DoMT. No, a monkey paw would be (as has been established as possible) a deck that is missing a few (benevolent) cards. It is still a DoMT, but they didn't wish for a complete one! It could also be a DoMT that gives things in the absolute worst manner by making them monkey paws on their own (inheriting a dead uncle's castle... And his debts to certain unpleasant people, for example).

I would argue that missing certain cards also is against the DoMT if we are going by RAW (whatever it is worth in this discussion). The thing about monkey paw is that it goes against the rules. Two wishes for the same thing might end up with different results.

If they want a DoMT then they can be teleported to a hidden vault in a demiplane that contains one. How they get out is up to you.

For a Ring of Three Wishes, why would you ever give them a wasted ring!

It is still a Ring of Three Wishes even if it contains no wishes, in fact you have gotten easy if all you get is a dud ring. Again monkey paw need not be consistent at all. Goes against your DoMT comment of giving an incomplete deck if I can't give a dud ring. I doubt people are wanting to wish for a DoMT for the chance to draw the Void or the Fool.

Being level 20 is a little harder...

While your way is fine and dandy I would prefer if the person has to live with the decision instead of having them die the next second while level 20. Might as well say "Well you are level 20 but you actually had a congenital heart defect that activates if you were at high level so you die". Monkey paw is much less memorable if you just say :So I guess you reroll your character"

You really don't get the "monkey paw" stuff at all, do you? That's exactly how it DOESN'T work. As was mentioned before, a "monkey paw" effect doesn't twist the wish to screw someone over, it just gives them exactly what they asked for, whether or not that's what they actually wanted.

And no, the "monkey paw" doesn't in any way, shape, or form break the rules. It doesn't twist them. It uses the exact rules it was given, it just adds additional things where there aren't rules to clearly define either way.

Nah I get it, it does twist things around. Also I don't know how can you define rules when the point of a Wish is to break the rules. Kinda hard to say we should follow the rules when there are no rules to follow on how a Wish should act. A monkey paw isn't exclusive to screwing people over (Wishing for food and getting an apple when you really wanted a grapefruit) but it can be.

If you want to wish an enemy dead and instead he gets turned into a lich then he is still technically dead even though you probably meant that you wanted him gone instead of technically dead. That is monkey paw.

Unless you can point to me the RAW on how a wish should be resolved then there are no rules to break because the point of a wish is to break the rules, of course how the rules is broken is left up to the DM and thus this is where the screwing comes around. Again as long as the wish is technically fuffiled then it is all good even if the recipient of the wish is totally unsatisfied and completely opposite of what you want.

smcmike
2016-10-25, 12:37 PM
If a character wishes to be level 20, my response would be "huh?" There is no such thing as "level 20" within the game world.

ruy343
2016-10-25, 12:55 PM
This would be incredibly fun, as long as you're roleplaying it well.

Most characters would likely game it up to find powerful, game-changing uses of this ability, but you, the not-so-intelligent-or-wise barbarian, only want hot sauce on your roast (as described above), a rope to climb down a cliff, and other simple things that make your life easier. You're not into all of that crazy, thinking-type wishing like the rest of them: you're a simple man, with simple needs.

NecessaryWeevil
2016-10-25, 04:45 PM
It seems to me that many of the people posting in this thread may not have the description of the 5E Wish spell in front of them.

Ghost Nappa
2016-10-25, 06:58 PM

The problem with that interpretation is that many class features are not worded in such a way to endorse such a reading. As an example,

Deflect Missiles: Starting at Level 3...
Slow Fall: Beginning at 4th Level...
Extra Attack: Beginning at 5th level...
Stunning Strike: Starting at 5th level...

Oh, and of course,

Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per monk level after 1st

The only thing I believe you could make that argument for from what I can tell are ASIs, which is going to get glares at you for being really technically stingy, and is easily subverted anyway. If you told me you I wouldn't get ASIs but I'd get everything else, I'd just rest for two days somewhere at my leisure, wish to reduce my XP to drop to Level 1, and then Wish again the next day to gain 355k XP; bringing myself to Level 20 and getting everything that is due to a Level 20 character.

Right, but I can just keeping doing it until it works, changing the word to be as needlessly technical as you require it to be. There's no detriment in doing so. At the very least, I can sell the non-magical ring.

Yeah gonna stop you there. Leaving the table because you're going to be an overtechnical DM in a silly one-shot lets me do something better with my time and you have no say.

That is not what you said before. You said that you got all of the effects of all of the cards at once because I dropped them. The most common DoMT has 13 cards, seven of which are beneficial and six of which are bad. Furthermore, you are already ignoring the properties of the deck by saying that I'm getting those cards effects without declaring a draw:

Before you draw a card, you must declare how many cards you intend to draw and then draw randomly (you can use an altered deck of playing cards to simulate the deck). Any cards drawn in excess of this number have no effect. Otherwise, as soon as you draw a card from the deck, its magic takes effect. You must draw each card no more than 1 hour after the previous draw. If you fail to draw the chosen number, the remaining number of cards fly from the deck on their own and take effect all at once.

We're already not doing things the way the cards specify following your "Monkey's Paw" interpretation.

And even ignoring that, I only mentioned it as a campaign closer where the consequences of whatever arbitrary "Monkey's Paw" you intend to perform are meaningless, and I specified that the player isn't the one using the deck. You're going into stores, walking up to shopkeepers and asking them if they want to make their lives a little more interesting. Not trying to powergame to victory.

In a more serious campaign, sure. I won't deny that I am of course extrapolating that the Wish succeeds. Of course...

...the OP tells us that it's a wacky campaign. Failure is still a success because it makes something wacky fun. Furthermore, if you want to tell me that I can't just Wish for legendary magical items, look no further than Wish itself:

You might be able to achieve something beyond the scope of the above examples. State your wish to the DM as precisely as possible...Similarly, wishing for a legendary magic item or artifact might instantly transport you to the presence of the item's current owner.

You are entirely ignoring the context of the OP. The Player specifically stated that it was a silly game. A Level 3 Barbarian already has access to Wish. I suggested to them they just go balls to the wall because it's a one-shot.

Human Paragon 3
2016-10-25, 07:43 PM
Using Wish efficiently would be incredibly unbalancing.

My advice would be to actually make the wishes like a stupid and selfish person who doesn't realize the potential of their power, wishing for things to meet their carnal needs or carrying out petty revenge (or rewarding loyal friends with gold and silver).

RazDelacroix
2016-10-25, 07:47 PM
Well if your DM is anything like a few of my prior DM's, NEVER USE WISH! IT IS A TRAP! ESPECIALLY IF YOU WISH FOR THE 'SAFE' WISHES! THE WISH SPELL IS DM BAIT TO RUN YOU OVER AND TORMENT YOU FOR ALL game TIME!!!

Tauguy628
2016-10-25, 11:25 PM
Use wish to duplicate 8th level or lower spells. There are still plenty of ways to break the game like this (especially at low levels). Dominate monster, clone, demiplane, simulacrum, glibness, and resurrection are just a few great spells you have access to.

90sMusic
2016-10-26, 03:19 AM
Since this is a silly game that isn't going to have lasting consequences, i'd wish for something like becoming the queen of the kingdom you're in or perhaps even the world.

That could certainly put an interesting twist on things that would have you and the DM thinking on your feet.

All the peasant folk bow to you, you could have some Queensguard following you around protecting you, etc etc. Or maybe you're a hated and reviled ruler and everyone wants to kill you now that you aren't safe and protected within your castle. Who knows what might happen.