PDA

View Full Version : [B] Magic missile vs Scorching Ray [/B]

Fuzzy Logic
2016-10-22, 09:08 PM
So I was perfectly ok with warlocks being the only class that get to add their spellcasting mod multiple times to damage rolls. It sort of made sense to me. But then I found this tweet from Crawford:
http://www.sageadvice.eu/tag/missile/
On one hand i like it because I've always liked magic missile. On the other hand it seems like a tortuous reading of the spell itself and its kind of sucky that once again wizards are the best at everything ever.

Kane0
2016-10-22, 10:22 PM
Meh, magic missile isnt geared to be a damage powerhouse spell, so it shouldnt matter all that much.

Besides, Sage Advice isn't much of a final word.

Gastronomie
2016-10-22, 10:56 PM
I opened this thread thinking it was about "which is better"… but,

Besides, Sage Advice isn't much of a final word.[/thread]

I am a firm believer of Chaotic Good DM'ing. No one tells me how to issue rulings at my table. It's not like (2d6+5) x 3 Scorching Ray is broken or anything.

ClintACK
2016-10-22, 11:14 PM
*shrug*

Sorcerer is still the best at dishing out damage when they use spell slots and sorcerer points.

Warlocks are the best at dishing out damage when they don't -- i.e. using only cantrips.

Wizards are still the utility infielders of the arcane casters.

At 11th level, with a 20 charisma, the Warlock dishes out 3d10+15 -- average: 31.5 damage with Eldritch Blast (at-will cantrip).

The 11th level Evocation Wizard with 20 Intelligence does 3d10+5 -- average: 21.5 damage with Fire Bolt (at-will cantrip). Or 3x(1d4+1+5) 25.5 damage with Magic Missile for a 1st level slot.

The 11th level Sorcerer with Quicken and Twin or Empower blows those away, but runs through his spell slots much faster.

Citan
2016-10-23, 03:37 AM
I opened this thread thinking it was about "which is better"… but,

[/thread]

I am a firm believer of Chaotic Good DM'ing. No one tells me how to issue rulings at my table. It's not like (2d6+5) x 3 Scorching Ray is broken or anything.
+100.
While there is really nothing in the original PHB that made me wonder "what the hell were they thinking", with everything being nicely crafted, there are quite a few "rulings" they made since in Sage advice or official errata that I... Really couldn't apprehend to stay polite. So I'm certainly houseruling a few things since I can't accept some of the "officials". :)

As for OP, I really don't think Wizard is the best at everything.
Even considering they could choose Magic Missile as their free 1st level spell, 3*(1d4+1+5) is... Good, indeed, because it's always hit in most cases. But no game breaking by far (especially by the time you get the free cast).
If anything, instead of making Evocation Wizard OP, I'd rather say it just makes Magic Missile stay relevant for a few more levels than for other casters, when once you get past 5th level it's usually as good or better to try a cantrip or use your slot for something else unless you know for a fact that MM damage will be enough to finish off a creature.
And it makes it a decent choice for the free 1st level spell for Evocation Wizard because although the damage is feeble compared to other damage dealers of that level, yours are sure-hit except against a few creatures.

Fuzzy Logic
2016-10-23, 09:20 AM
Thanks for all the replies, guess I overreacted. I just saw the magic missile damage getting effectively doubled for evocation wizards whilst the Dragon sorcerers had to make do with adding a single time to their scorching rays. Maybe I should just houserule it back to the pre errata rules.