PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Helm Soulbind Chakra Bind

Yogibear41
2016-10-22, 09:48 PM
If I bind the Crystal Helm soulbond, thereby giving my attacks the force descriptor, does that mean in addition to ignoring incorporeal creature's miss chance, that they also ignore damage reduction because they are considered force effects?

Kelb_Panthera
2016-10-22, 11:45 PM
If I bind the Crystal Helm soulbond, thereby giving my attacks the force descriptor, does that mean in addition to ignoring incorporeal creature's miss chance, that they also ignore damage reduction because they are considered force effects?

This is an area of some debate. Ask your DM for a ruling.

Fizban
2016-10-23, 02:46 AM
The creature takes normal damage from energy attacks (even nonmagical ones), spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities.
Damage reduction does not say anything about force, force is not an energy type, [force] descriptor only matters if something says it interacts with the force descriptor. Spells ignore DR because they are spells, bows with the Force ability ignore DR because it says so in the ability's description. The Crystal Helm bind is none of these things, it does not ignore DR, there is no debate :smallmad:

Troacctid
2016-10-23, 03:17 AM
This is an area of some debate.
No it isn't. Force damage has no special ability to bypass damage reduction of any kind. (I mean, unless you're fighting a monster with DR/force, but that seems unlikely, considering that no such monsters exist.)

Venger
2016-10-23, 03:22 AM

spells such as orb of force aren't subject to DR, because it's untyped spell damage from magic.

your normal melee attacks with the crystal helm are not spells, so do not bypass damage reduction.

Nifft
2016-10-23, 03:32 AM

Usually [Force] effects are spells, and spells usually ignore DR because they're spells -- some few spells are affected by DR, and these spells say so explicitly.

Your melee attacks are not spells, so even though they're [Force] effects, they do not get to bypass DR.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-10-23, 03:45 AM
No it isn't. Force damage has no special ability to bypass damage reduction of any kind. (I mean, unless you're fighting a monster with DR/force, but that seems unlikely, considering that no such monsters exist.)

So I just imagined all those arguments about the force enhancement for bows? :smallamused: Don't get me wrong, I agree with you on this one but there are people on the other side of this one.

Fizban
2016-10-23, 05:07 AM
Protip: just because someone is making an argument doesn't mean that argument is automatically valid. People believe a lot of things that are wrong, but while arguing with them may technically fall under the definition of "debate," claiming there is "debate" inherently suggests a certain amount of validity where there is often nothing at all. If you know that they are wrong about the Crystal Helm, why do you give their incorrect view weight by first pretending to be impartial?