PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Giant Eagle Player Race

DracoKnight
2016-10-23, 04:54 AM
Working on trying to accommodate a player who wants to be a giant eagle. Thoughts on this race (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyZNsdbq1x)?

TundraBuccaneer
2016-10-23, 05:28 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BA8IyduCMAAcwkK.jpg

Sorry I couldn't resist. But it looks really fun to play and I like the lore you gave them, I'm just wondering how weapons are going to work? Can you get weapons that are not light, can you reforge magic items?

DracoKnight
2016-10-23, 05:52 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BA8IyduCMAAcwkK.jpg

Sorry I couldn't resist. But it looks really fun to play and I like the lore you gave them, I'm just wondering how weapons are going to work? Can you get weapons that are not light, can you reforge magic items?

I'm going to come up with a table of eagle-specific weapons. I'm glad you like the lore, and think that they would be fun to play :smallbiggrin:

GandalfTheWhite
2016-10-23, 01:41 PM
I'm not sure about their base speed being 10 ft. I realize that this is supposed to balance out free flight at 1st level, but neither the aarakorca nor the tiefling have such a penalty. And the race already has a bunch of other penalties, like needing special, super-expensive armor, and not being able to use weapons.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-10-23, 03:55 PM
I'm not sure about their base speed being 10 ft. I realize that this is supposed to balance out free flight at 1st level, but neither the aarakorca nor the tiefling have such a penalty. And the race already has a bunch of other penalties, like needing special, super-expensive armor, and not being able to use weapons.

Personally, I wouldn't be too worried about that, as the fly speed more than makes up for it.

I've been running a game for over a year now with pixie and faerie dragon PCs (both with 10ft land speeds and free flight, plus reduced hit points and restricted weapon options), and haven't encountered any problems. I even had one combat encounter (on a moving boat) where walking was preferable to flying, and it worked out fine.

DracoKnight
2016-10-23, 06:18 PM
Personally, I wouldn't be too worried about that, as the fly speed more than makes up for it.

I've been running a game for over a year now with pixie and faerie dragon PCs (both with 10ft land speeds and free flight, plus reduced hit points and restricted weapon options), and haven't encountered any problems. I even had one combat encounter (on a moving boat) where walking was preferable to flying, and it worked out fine.

Okay, this is comforting to know. :smallsmile:

GandalfTheWhite
2016-10-24, 02:38 PM

I dunno, this seems to already have so many restrictions on it already to balance out it being able to fly.

TundraBuccaneer
2016-10-24, 04:36 PM
Also the wingspan of a giant eagle is much larger than that of tiny race who can fly inside a normal dungeon.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-10-24, 04:49 PM
Also the wingspan of a giant eagle is much larger than that of tiny race who can fly inside a normal dungeon.

True, but DracoKnight didn't specify in his document that the giant eagle needs a large space to spread its wings, so technically... :smalltongue:

On a serious note, I really had assumed that was intentional. If it's an oversight, then yeah, the 10ft land speed is an issue.

DracoKnight
2016-10-24, 08:45 PM
True, but DracoKnight didn't specify in his document that the giant eagle needs a large space to spread its wings, so technically... :smalltongue:

On a serious note, I really had assumed that was intentional. If it's an oversight, then yeah, the 10ft land speed is an issue.

I'll need to weigh how much I want them flying in tight spaces, I guess. It is something I'd forgotten about...Stupid me :smalltongue:

GandalfTheWhite
2016-10-26, 08:22 PM
I'll need to weigh how much I want them flying in tight spaces, I guess. It is something I'd forgotten about...Stupid me :smalltongue:

So either clarify that they can fly in Medium spaces, or give them a higher land speed. Otherwise this is a trap option without playing a Monk.

DracoKnight
2016-11-04, 11:37 PM
So either clarify that they can fly in Medium spaces, or give them a higher land speed. Otherwise this is a trap option without playing a Monk.

Clarified that they need wider spaces to fly, and bumped their land speed to 20.