PDA

View Full Version : Cooperative bullrush?

Falcii
2016-10-23, 12:56 PM
Are there rules surrounding using two people to simultaneously bullrush the same target? Assuming the target filled a 10 foot square and both rushers were 5ft. I just got access to a water bending style bull rush on one of my backup characters and id like to know if I can help the big bruising bullrush bitch in the front line.

Nifft
2016-10-23, 12:58 PM
There's always the +2 for Aid Another.

But it would be cool if you got a bigger bonus for putting the "US" in "Bullrush."

Falcii
2016-10-23, 01:17 PM
Yeahhhhh... Like you'd think our bullrushes would add to something, like maybe we each take on half the oppositions check?

Necroticplague
2016-10-23, 01:28 PM
How would you manage to do something simultaneously like that? It seems the normal turn system disallows it.

Anyway, I don't think there should be any type of bonus, beyond what you can get from the individual bull rushes. In my own experience, it's actually easier to resist a bull rush from multiple people than from one. The greater force two people can apply is more than negated by the fact they need to take awkward, less-optimal angles to push at.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-10-23, 01:30 PM
If you add the check results, one side gets two d20 rolls, two size bonuses, two circumstance bonuses etcetera, whereas the other gets only one. That's not really fair or sensible: it means that two large creatures can easily shove a Huge (same +8 size bonus, likely higher combined strength), but two small creatures can't shove a medium (double -4 size penalty), even though the relative sizes are the same.

Instead, use a scaling bonus, based on Aid Another, specifically Expert Assistance. You use the highest result of the two attackers to oppose the defender's roll, then add +2 if the secondary attacker beats a DC 10 check (as per Aid Another). If the secondary attacker has at least +5 base attack or Improved Bull Rush, the primary attacker gets a further +1 for every ten points by which the secondary attacker beats DC 10 (a result of 20 grants a +3 bonus, and so on).

How would you manage to do something simultaneously like that? It seems the normal turn system disallows it.
You can delay, taking your turns on the same initiative count. With a cooperative DM, you should be able to pull of a coordinated bull rush. Alternatively, there's War Master's Charge, the White Raven capstone maneuver.

Venger
2016-10-23, 02:58 PM
Are there rules surrounding using two people to simultaneously bullrush the same target? Assuming the target filled a 10 foot square and both rushers were 5ft. I just got access to a water bending style bull rush on one of my backup characters and id like to know if I can help the big bruising bullrush bitch in the front line.

There are rules for this. One of the seldom-used teamwork benefits from DMG2 does exactly what you're looking for. it's called joint bull rush. You all ready a bull rush, charge your foe at once, use the strongest guy's mod, and everyone else adds their strength mod on top of it.

there are also some teamwork benefits in PHB2