PDA

View Full Version : Ring of Mind Shielding RP

Wondermndjr
2016-10-23, 10:10 PM
So, my wizard has recently come into possession of a Ring of Mind Shielding. However, the previous owner of the ring's soul is now inside of it. I had nothing to do with his death, and wasn't even in the combat where he died; however, he's taking his anger out on me. The DM has ruled that he'll occasionally yell inside my head, causing disadvantage on whatever roll I'm doing at the time. I have no problem with this, in fact I think it's pretty funny for now. However, I have 3 questions I want to pose:

A) Should the soul be able to see/hear what I see/hear? This is not a RAW question at all, but I think it would be better if the soul could.

B) What kinds of motivations would this guy have? I have been given permission to develop his personality a little further, so I would like to make him a fully fleshed out NPC. According to the DM he's somewhere between Neutral and Chaotic Evil. I know that alignment is not the best descriptor of personality but it's a starting point.

C) Given his personality, what could I do to convince him to leave the ring?

Thanks in advance.

Ghost Nappa
2016-10-23, 10:28 PM
Most of my ideas come from debating whether or not Wizards have apps (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLyhgvcT-y8).

MasterMercury
2016-10-23, 10:46 PM
Most of my ideas come from debating whether or not Wizards have apps (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLyhgvcT-y8).

Haha. That cracked me up, and I don't even watch that show.

I would argue, if the ring is linked to your mind he should be able to see and hear what you do.
If you can't get him to leave, you could at least make peace with him to stop doing the yelling thing.

Kane0
2016-10-23, 11:11 PM
He should also scream out increasingly bad names for spells and attacks you perform.

pwykersotz
2016-10-23, 11:17 PM
I would say you could treat it as your own personal quest.

First, give him a goal. One that's dark in nature, but which could be accomplished without the evilness. For example, say that he wants nothing more than to see that sorry sack of a wizard in the next town over ruined. He was going to do it via zombie army or perhaps soul entrapment, but maybe that wizard could be disgraced through some shady dealings of his own.

"Discover" this by taking an hour to mentally talk to him every night before you rest. Throw in small agreements with him that disarm him and allow him to monologue to you about his greatness, his plans, and how sweet vengeance will be.

Then work with the DM to include this in the campaign, or possibly request a solo-game or email exchange game or play by post. Get the solution solved according to your alignment while simultaneously fulfilling his goal. Then, don't get him to leave the ring. Let him stay and give the DM an NPC to work with in the future. You've scratched his back, so he might come in handy later. DM's love hanging plot threads, and having an NPC indebted to you can be fun if you let them choose how to repay it.

Sigreid
2016-10-23, 11:21 PM
It would be hilarious to me if when people tried to read your mind, they read his instead. If I were the DM, I'd give the ring normal seeing and hearing.

As far as personality, home boy would want a body of his own and might suggest all kinds of horrible and morally reprehensible ways you might be able to help him with that.