PDA

View Full Version : Help getting the party ready.

Metahuman1
2016-10-24, 12:42 AM
Soooooo, I'm looking for cost efficient ways to get my party the following effects in a way that won't eat up all my sells known/for the day.

I am the party's arcane caster with 9 levels in mage of the arcane order and no lost caster levels at level 16, I have an Item Familiar and Craft Wondrous Item and Craft Magic Arms and Armor. I'm not overly concerned about how to get these items.

Mind Blank.

Immunity to Controlling Undead.

Immunity to effects that specifically destroy harm undead and are otherwise not covered by more standard blanket immunity's. (WE have 2 party members that will need these protections, and one is my character. Final Boss Fights are coming and will have 3 evil clerics, an evil artificer and an evil Wizard and possibly a demon prince and/or an Elder Evil to contend with, so, need to have these covered or it will come back to bite us.).

Immunity to Level Loss

Immunity to level drain.

Immunity to Ability Score Drain.

Immunity to ability score damage.

Freedom of Movement.

Immunity to Energy Damage.

I already know and plan to get Gems of Heavy Fortification installed on the party for Crit/Precision damage mitigation, and get Soulfire for Immunity to conventional death effects, and Ruby Censures of Transmutation for Immunity to hostile application of things like Desissentigrate and Baleful Polymorph/Polymorph Any Object.

Help!

Extra Anchovies
2016-10-24, 02:22 AM
The Lists of Necessary Magic Items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items) is probably worth a look, and while I'm at it I may as well recommend Bunko's Bargain Basement (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=350.0) too.

Metahuman1
2016-10-25, 10:17 PM
Well, that's a start. I don't see the immunity for being controlled/destroyed for Undead though.

Mordaedil
2016-10-26, 06:35 AM
Protection from (any) alignment will cover that, as would any magic circle spell.

Echch
2016-10-26, 06:50 AM
I'd say you get a book. As I really like Runecasters, I'd suggest making a book with a touch-activated Scholar's Touch and store permanent runes (read-activated) inside, so it takes a standard action for everyone to touch the book and recieve all the effects.

I'd also suggest Life Ward for your Undead.

sleepyphoenixx
2016-10-26, 08:53 AM
Most of the things that aren't covered by Mind Blank, Soulfire and Freedom of Movement are sufficiently defended by high saves with a few rerolls. Covering everything gets really expensive really fast otherwise.
Especially immunity to (every type of) energy damage is really expensive, and not all that useful if you can get high saves + evasion instead and cover with Energy Immunity for especially hard fights.

Undead can just add positive energy immunity (there's a ring for that in Libris Mortis or the MIC iirc) and Protection from X to cover most of their specific weaknesses.

Metahuman1
2016-10-29, 05:16 PM
Alright, I think that covers most of it. Though Poison and Disease Immunity would still be good if anyone has any suggestions for that. (It's come to my attention IC will also be contending with a high level evil druid so, chances of that getting used on the party seem to have gone up.)

sleepyphoenixx
2016-10-29, 06:03 PM
Alright, I think that covers most of it. Though Poison and Disease Immunity would still be good if anyone has any suggestions for that. (It's come to my attention IC will also be contending with a high level evil druid so, chances of that getting used on the party seem to have gone up.)

It's probably not worth it. Getting those immunities on items is expensive, and pretty much all of them are negated by a successful fort save.
You're also likely going to carry something to restore lost ability scores anyway, so getting a few scrolls of Remove Disease and Neutralize Poison in case you're hit by one is usually enough.

If you pick them up anyway it's nice, but i don't think they're worth spending a big chunk of your WBL (about 35,000gp for both disease and poison immunity) on something that generally only comes up rarely, is easily defeated by a much more broadly useful measure (higher fort save) and even if it hits not generally fatal.

Instead i'd suggest getting a few Pearls of Power (one for every single-target buff you want another caster to cast on you) and letting your cleric/druid/other divine caster do his job.
They have the benefit of also being useful when you're not facing enemies with those attacks, which is the majority of them.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-10-29, 06:14 PM
If you can turn your party into symbionts for a short while, you can share all your buff spells with them, including personal-range spells, using only one slot to affect the whole party. See Team Solar (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?188138-Team-Solars-(Archiving)) and Team Primeval (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?201638-Team-Primeval) for ideas.

Metahuman1
2016-10-30, 12:20 AM
It's probably not worth it. Getting those immunities on items is expensive, and pretty much all of them are negated by a successful fort save.
You're also likely going to carry something to restore lost ability scores anyway, so getting a few scrolls of Remove Disease and Neutralize Poison in case you're hit by one is usually enough.

If you pick them up anyway it's nice, but i don't think they're worth spending a big chunk of your WBL (about 35,000gp for both disease and poison immunity) on something that generally only comes up rarely, is easily defeated by a much more broadly useful measure (higher fort save) and even if it hits not generally fatal.

Instead i'd suggest getting a few Pearls of Power (one for every single-target buff you want another caster to cast on you) and letting your cleric/druid/other divine caster do his job.
They have the benefit of also being useful when you're not facing enemies with those attacks, which is the majority of them.

We don't have a divine caster anymore. He decided he wanted to have his character go insane, become chaotic evil, and turn on the party.