PDA

View Full Version : How to make a Cleric of Worship?

SangoProduction
2016-10-24, 01:26 AM
So, I've got an idea for a character. He was formerly an existential nihilist. Then, invited to the halls of ...um...Ilmater(? It doesn't matter), he joined in with a friend in whatever religious ceremonies that religion had, and found it invigorating. Philosophically conflicted, he journeyed far and wide, for knowledge, for meaning. He found no inherent meaning, and the only evidence for the gods, which may or may not have a purpose for him, was merely the magical powers that any other cleric could perform just as easily, even those without gods.

But then it dawned on him. The act of worship itself was the reason. And so, he took the next War Ship of the Burning Hate, and began his first steps to worshipping Worship itself.

------
I don't know how to build it in 3.5. Which is why I'm here. Maybe a stub, or at least ideas for what Domains and prestige classes I should look towards. My GM is rather lax, and might allow for custom Domains, if they make sense.

He's probably going to be maxing Bluff to be able to act like he knows about the religious meeting he's attending, even if he fails his Knowledge check.

Extra Anchovies
2016-10-24, 02:40 AM
Rather than bluffing your way along by pretending to know religious customs, it's probably better (and more in line with a character who truly values worship) to be very openly curious about what those customs are. I'm reminded of my favorite anecdote from Confucius's Analects:

Confucius entered the Grand Temple [for the first time]. Every step of the way he would ask a question. Someone said, "Who says that the guy from Tsau province [i.e. Confucius] knows manners! He enters the Grand Temple and has to ask about everything." Confucius heard the remark and answered, "That I ask is manners."

Regarding choice of domains, Emotion, Hope, Insight, Joy, Knowledge, Magic, Meditation, Mentalism, Mind, Mysticism, Oracle, Pact, Passion, Purification, Spirit, Truth, and Zeal could all fit for a character who finds the act of worship fulfilling. Of those, Hope, Insight, Knowledge, Mysticism (oddly combat-focused given the name), Spirit, and Truth have pretty solid-looking spell lists and/or granted powers, while Magic has an excellent granted power but a weak spell list (making it a nice candidate for Planar Touchstone: Catalogues of Enlightenment).

The Worldly Focus feat lets you cast divine spells without needing a holy symbol, perfect for a priest of no god. For classes, you may want a look at the Sovereign Speaker PrC; it loses spellcasting levels at 1st and 6th, but each of its nine levels provides a bonus domain. Normally it's only available to followers of the Sovereign Host, but the fluff fits really well with your character so I recommend asking your DM about it.

Coidzor
2016-10-24, 04:40 AM
I'd go legalistic, myself. Someone who believes in the proper order of things and the thing most fundamental to them all is worshipping the gods. So Law would be a big one.

SangoProduction
2016-10-24, 11:35 AM
Interesting.