PDA

View Full Version : Permanency spell on yourself not dispel able?

Gruftzwerg
2016-10-24, 02:45 AM
Somehow I wasn't aware of this sentence in the permanency spell:

Spells cast on other creatures, objects, or locations (not on you) are vulnerable to dispel magic as normal.

My question now is:

Does this count for all possible permanency spells on yourself (e.g. Enlarge Person) or only for those specifically restricted for self use (e.g. Detect Magic)??

I'm a bit confused^^

Psyren
2016-10-24, 02:56 AM
It's referring to this earlier clause in the spell:

This application of permanency can be dispelled only by a caster of higher level than you were when you cast the spell.

In other words, the "self-only" permanency spells have a special restriction that makes them a bit harder to dispel. The "castable on others" permanency spells can be dispelled normally.

Both cases however are subject to dispel.

Gruftzwerg
2016-10-24, 03:09 AM
It's referring to this earlier clause in the spell:

In other words, the "self-only" permanency spells have a special restriction that makes them a bit harder to dispel. The "castable on others" permanency spells can be dispelled normally.

Both cases however are subject to dispel.

ah I see. thx now I get it^^

Khedrac
2016-10-24, 12:22 PM
Remember that one can normally automatically dispel one's own spells. Without the "cast on self = higher caster level required" clause it would mean that a mage couldn't dispel mutliple hostile debuffs on them without ending any permanent spells as well.

Âmesang
2016-10-24, 10:55 PM
I suppose such a mage could attempt to target hostile spells individually instead of targeting himself…

Khedrac
2016-10-25, 06:17 AM
I suppose such a mage could attempt to target hostile spells individually instead of targeting himself…
Yes - and that's why I said "multiple" - it is also still the only way to do it without dispelling any normal buffs you have cast.