PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a spell

Verbannon
2016-10-24, 09:57 AM
I would like a list of the different kinds of spells in D&D 3.5 and 2e and older that can create a sort of personal avatar for the caster that he can talk through and see through. I have a hag thats creating ice sculptures of herself she sends out to act as her personal avatars so I want a spell that can do that or something close. For the players to find and add to their own spellbooks.

LibraryOgre
2016-10-24, 01:50 PM
I would like a list of the different kinds of spells in D&D 3.5 and 2e and older that can create a sort of personal avatar for the caster that he can talk through and see through. I have a hag thats creating ice sculptures of herself she sends out to act as her personal avatars so I want a spell that can do that or something close. For the players to find and add to their own spellbooks.

Project Image fits the bill.

The d20 version. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/projectImage.htm)

The range is a bit short, but kicking it up a level or two could give you some impressive range.

Inevitability
2016-10-24, 02:53 PM
Create an Ice Assassin of yourself which you immediately place in statis, create an Ice Assassin of said Ice Assassin, dominate second Ice Assassin once it's finished off its original?

Verbannon
2016-10-24, 03:27 PM
Nothing more Physical then project image? Dang I was sure there would be a spell like this. I thought there was a spell for everything. Well thanks, I'll try to think on how to work it with project image. Project image is close just a bit insubstantial.

Lord Torath
2016-10-26, 07:35 AM
Simulacrum (7th level in 2E AD&D) is similar as well. It creates a duplicate of the target that is completely under the caster's control (actually made from snow or ice). Can't talk or see through it, though. Reincarnation cast on the duplicate can give it consciousness (no longer a zombie), and Limited Wish will give it 40-65% of the target's knowledge and a level equal to 20-50% of the target.

icefractal
2016-10-26, 06:38 PM
Simulacrum and then Mind Link would work - you wouldn't be able to see through its senses directly, but it could describe what it was seeing/hearing to you, and you could tell it what to do/say.

Also in the 3E version of Simulacrum, it has the target's knowledge and 50% of its level automatically, no other spells required for that. Which does mean that sending out Simulacra of yourself is a risk - if someone captures one they could read its mind to learn about your plans. A way around that is to make a Simulacrum of a Doppelganger and command it to mimic your appearance.

Somewhat related - Dark Stalkers / Dark Creepers aren't made of snow, but they do melt (into poison) when killed or captured. If you can convince (or mind control) some to be your minions, they make good messengers.