PDA

View Full Version : Need help on a magic item

Sir cryosin
2016-10-24, 10:21 AM
So my party just got a quest from a wizard. The party's wizard ask if he had any spare spell books that he can have I thought about it and said ya and gave him one I told the player that I'll get with him and give him the spell in the book. But now I was think of making it a sentient grimoire that ate his spellbook and now it acts as his spellbook and arcane fouce. It will give him advantage on any history checks.

Now that all I got I'm thinks giving it were it cost half the gp to add new spells.

So what do you think?

twigg89
2016-10-24, 11:53 AM
I like it a lot, but I wouldn't make it sentient. Advantage on history checks (assuming someone else in the party doesn't have proficiency in it) seems like a good way to make a generally lesser used skill more interesting, it may even push the player into finding creative ways to use a history check. The gold cost thing is good depending on what the gold situation of the party is like, if it makes it that the Wizard is saving a bunch of money it on over the other player's expenses it could be problematic but that seems like an easy problem to solve as the DM. The sentience thing just seems like it'll be cool once introduced but pretty quickly forgotten. Generally sentient items are incredibly powerful and they add to either the party narrative or the individual characters. If this player is really low level that doesn't seem really feasible. What you can do is have the spellbook also being a sending stone to communicate with the wizard who is giving it to your party. That way you can still use it to help guide the party with information without it affecting any later sentient items you may want to give to the party once they get stronger. Hope that helps.

Herobizkit
2016-10-24, 04:12 PM
Does the Wizard have a familiar?

If not, he does now.

See Pseudodragon in the DMG for an example of how it becomes a familiar without the Find Familiar spell. Now re-fluff it as a sentient book. Done.

Or, maybe re-fluff the Imp. :smallamused:

Advantage on History checks is nice... that's about all it needs.

If you want to make it an un-cooperative familiar, that's also good for kicks.

Rogozhin
2016-10-24, 05:15 PM
Or even just a sassy familiar that insults and undermines your PCs every decision. Hours of fun!

ruy343
2016-10-24, 10:17 PM
I wouldn't make it sentient, because then it requires more bookkeeping for a constant character who you and the players might get bored with.

Instead, use it as a plot device. While it may help the player have advantage on history checks (personally, I would grant proficiency/expertise if already proficient, but your call) it may also, at your discretion, give the character a vision of some event for which the book or its previous owner was present. When you see your players stuck with something between sessions, you can use it as a means to point your characters towards the story, saving you frustration and helping your players find the fun.

Besides, having a sudden vision to several centuries ago that gives depth to the story could be a very memorable moment!