PDA

View Full Version : getting extra attack with the new beast master ranger.

Spacehamster
2016-10-24, 12:23 PM
So how would you guys level a mainly beast master ranger that want extra attack feature?
Idea is maximum 15 levels Beast master and minimum of 12, while keeping the companion decently
strong? My ideas are:

5 Barbarian 15 Ranger, the savage beast master, take mariner style and fight with a great axe and medium armor as an half orc starting stats 15/14/12/8/13/10
giving you 17/14/13/8/13/10 at level 1, first ASI puts STR and CON up to 18/14, remaining 3 will put STR up to 20 and CON to 16 and get Great weapon master feat.
Pro´s with this one: More hp than full beast master, better saves if starting with Barb up to 5, Damage resistance when raging, 1 more attack obviously, 10 more movement.
Con´s: 1 less ASI for you and your companion, raging + casting issues which i.m.o does not matter so much, just use whichever fits best for the situation, less spells.

6 Champion or Battle master fighter 14 Ranger, this one I would probably do in a similar style but also add the other combat style that adds +1 AC for 19 AC from half-plate,
and with the normal amount of ASI´s you could maybe take observant or resilient WIS to even out your WIS to 14. Can also be pushed to 8 fighter 12 BM and pick the leadership feat
to compensate for the lost HP for the beast, this would also net you 6 ASI´s netting a black bear companion 20 STR and 20 CON.
Pro´s: 2 attacks, more ASI´s, action surge, 2 fighting styles, better crit or maneuvers depending on what type of fighter.
Con´s: less HD for your companion somewhat tended to by more ASI´s + feats, less spells compared to full Ranger.

Ofc you could also go something like 6 fighter / 14 Beast master halfling dualwielding lances but that is bit too silly to go into for me even tho it would probably be the most efficient.

So what is your thoughts, is an extra attack worth sacrificing some of the animal companions HP for or not and do you have any interesting MC builds that works for the BM?

djreynolds
2016-10-25, 01:38 AM
So how would you guys level a mainly beast master ranger that want extra attack feature?
Idea is maximum 15 levels Beast master and minimum of 12, while keeping the companion decently
strong? My ideas are:

5 Barbarian 15 Ranger, the savage beast master, take mariner style and fight with a great axe and medium armor as an half orc starting stats 15/14/12/8/13/10
giving you 17/14/13/8/13/10 at level 1, first ASI puts STR and CON up to 18/14, remaining 3 will put STR up to 20 and CON to 16 and get Great weapon master feat.
Pro´s with this one: More hp than full beast master, better saves if starting with Barb up to 5, Damage resistance when raging, 1 more attack obviously, 10 more movement.
Con´s: 1 less ASI for you and your companion, raging + casting issues which i.m.o does not matter so much, just use whichever fits best for the situation, less spells.

6 Champion or Battle master fighter 14 Ranger, this one I would probably do in a similar style but also add the other combat style that adds +1 AC for 19 AC from half-plate,
and with the normal amount of ASI´s you could maybe take observant or resilient WIS to even out your WIS to 14. Can also be pushed to 8 fighter 12 BM and pick the leadership feat
to compensate for the lost HP for the beast, this would also net you 6 ASI´s netting a black bear companion 20 STR and 20 CON.
Pro´s: 2 attacks, more ASI´s, action surge, 2 fighting styles, better crit or maneuvers depending on what type of fighter.
Con´s: less HD for your companion somewhat tended to by more ASI´s + feats, less spells compared to full Ranger.

Ofc you could also go something like 6 fighter / 14 Beast master halfling dualwielding lances but that is bit too silly to go into for me even tho it would probably be the most efficient.

So what is your thoughts, is an extra attack worth sacrificing some of the animal companions HP for or not and do you have any interesting MC builds that works for the BM?

If anything, just grab War cleric for a level or 2, get your extra attack that way, limited to your wisdom bonus every short rest and some spells like divine favor, bless, healing word

Your beast is or should be doing the damage, in fact, 1 level of war cleric will net your plate armor and you can leave dex at 13. Just max out strength and wisdom. And not lose out on any ASI/feats for your pet.

Or just grab polearm master instead of GWM, and take heavily armored (rarely used) and leave dex at 10 and go 20 beast master.

Also remember all those spells like hail of thorns and lightning arrow works with a dagger, hand axe, or bow

Lollerabe
2016-10-25, 03:29 AM
Minor thing but the extra BA attacks from war cleric refreshes on long rests not short, so it's not really ideal if extra attacks is important for OP.

Spacehamster
2016-10-25, 04:04 AM
If anything, just grab War cleric for a level or 2, get your extra attack that way, limited to your wisdom bonus every short rest and some spells like divine favor, bless, healing word

Your beast is or should be doing the damage, in fact, 1 level of war cleric will net your plate armor and you can leave dex at 13. Just max out strength and wisdom. And not lose out on any ASI/feats for your pet.

Or just grab polearm master instead of GWM, and take heavily armored (rarely used) and leave dex at 10 and go 20 beast master.

Also remember all those spells like hail of thorns and lightning arrow works with a dagger, hand axe, or bow

That is a bonus action attack, could just go dual wielder full dex then and 20 levels BM. .)

djreynolds
2016-10-25, 04:14 AM
Minor thing but the extra BA attacks from war cleric refreshes on long rests not short, so it's not really ideal if extra attacks is important for OP.

You are right, I always confuse it with channel divinity. Just take PAM, and I like the idea of a full plate ranger with nasty polearm and mean wolf, evil monkey or.... cute giant weasel or hamster.

I just think the beast is more important, and perhaps if the beast could use your foe slayer, DM dependent.

But one level of fighter or cleric would net you plate, and you only need a 13 in dex.

I like your nasty half orc, with an even nasty beast on a chain.

Lollerabe
2016-10-25, 05:58 AM
I very much wanna play the revised beastmaster as a strength ranger, but I personally would stay full ranger grab defense style, play a dwarf, switch between TWF with handaxes, a helbard/Greataxe/maul and a heavy crossbow and then spend my first ASI on sentinel.

That way I can switch between weapons and be a bit versatile, and sentinel seems like THE beastmaster feat IMO, really captures the whole 'attacking in unison' if you ask me.

djreynolds
2016-10-25, 06:48 AM
I very much wanna play the revised beastmaster as a strength ranger, but I personally would stay full ranger grab defense style, play a dwarf, switch between TWF with handaxes, a helbard/Greataxe/maul and a heavy crossbow and then spend my first ASI on sentinel.

That way I can switch between weapons and be a bit versatile, and sentinel seems like THE beastmaster feat IMO, really captures the whole 'attacking in unison' if you ask me.

That sounds very cool.

I had a beastmaster and I used polearm master and sentinel and let the beast use my attack and lived on reaction attacks. I just stood behind a wolf, and the DM always wanted to attack it.

Spacehamster
2016-10-25, 05:22 PM
That sounds very cool.

I had a beastmaster and I used polearm master and sentinel and let the beast use my attack and lived on reaction attacks. I just stood behind a wolf, and the DM always wanted to attack it.

1 level barb 19 beast master would be pretty cool as a Mtn dorf with 17/14/15/8/13/8 would be pretty neat too, polearm master and remaining 4 ASI´s spent +1 STR, +1 CON first, +2 STR for max STR, then any combination of + DEX or CON depending on if you want more HP or more initiative. :) with DEX 16 and CON 18 you would have decent initiative and good hp + 18 AC naked if you take mariner as your combat style. :)

Arkhios
2016-10-26, 12:12 AM
While I get the idea of a strength ranger, with multiclassing in mind I would just stick to dexterity as my primary attack ability, and go Fighter 6 (battle master w/Martial Adept).
To be a versatile combatant I might pick both Archery and TWF fighting styles.

Two scimitars/shortswords wouldn't be so bad for melee, and a longbow for ranged.
As already pointed out, the beast is the one who should be the damage dealer, and therefore your choice of fighting style shouldn't matter that much.

As for progression, I think it would be best to start with Ranger and get the companion early on, grabbing fighter 5 or 6 for extra attack only after you're confident the beast has enough hit dice under it's belt to survive next 5 levels (I really hope the final version of beast conclave ranger takes this multiclass issue of hit dice into further consideration)

Spacehamster
2016-10-26, 06:08 AM
While I get the idea of a strength ranger, with multiclassing in mind I would just stick to dexterity as my primary attack ability, and go Fighter 6 (battle master w/Martial Adept).
To be a versatile combatant I might pick both Archery and TWF fighting styles.

Two scimitars/shortswords wouldn't be so bad for melee, and a longbow for ranged.
As already pointed out, the beast is the one who should be the damage dealer, and therefore your choice of fighting style shouldn't matter that much.

As for progression, I think it would be best to start with Ranger and get the companion early on, grabbing fighter 5 or 6 for extra attack only after you're confident the beast has enough hit dice under it's belt to survive next 5 levels (I really hope the final version of beast conclave ranger takes this multiclass issue of hit dice into further consideration)

Tbh would love to see a feat that gives you a 3hd animal companion or adds 2hd to the one you already have, that makes it more mc friendly and could also add to a tankier animal for a full beast master.

Plus could be taken alone to get a mount for a smaller toon as well. :)

On another note has anyone tried a full revised beast master hunter and seen about how much dpr you push out?