PDA

View Full Version : Need alternative to Magical Initiate for dnd 3.5

WhiteBread
2016-10-24, 06:35 PM
See above. I want a it for a commoner character. Any way to achive making him a spellcaster without multiclassing. I don't mind being stuck with only 0-1 spells.

Edit: I meant Magic Initiate from 5e

Zombimode
2016-10-24, 06:49 PM
See above. I want a it for a commoner character. Any way to achive making him a spellcaster without multiclassing. I don't mind being stuck with only 0-1 spells.

There are a couple of feats in Complete Arcane that have no prerequisites and each add three 1/day SLAs of zero and 1st level spells.
An alternative but setting specific option are Eberron Dragonmarks.

WhiteBread
2016-10-24, 07:28 PM
There are a couple of feats in Complete Arcane that have no prerequisites and each add three 1/day SLAs of zero and 1st level spells.
An alternative but setting specific option are Eberron Dragonmarks.

I do need spells/spell slots and not spell like abilities however.. i gotta look up the eberron dragonmarks.

JackPhoenix
2016-10-25, 12:09 AM
Only way to get normal spell slots is to get level in spellcasting class or be a monster that gives proper spellcasting (dryad, angels, some other) instead (or in addition to) spell-like abilities. Though there may be some obscure or 3rd party way I've missed.

Sicarius Victis
2016-10-25, 12:55 AM
Are there any specific spells that you need?

And why do they have to be slots, as opposed to spell-like abilities?

WhiteBread
2016-10-25, 06:53 AM
Are there any specific spells that you need?

And why do they have to be slots, as opposed to spell-like abilities?

Well i would like having the cantrips/orisions of sorcerer/wizard/cleric or any other 0-1 spells. I need spell slots so i can use metamagic on them. I want to play a Commoner1/Generic Warrior19 and wanted to give him just some minor spells with metamagic and metamagic reducer as the Generic Warrior gets a lot of feats. Problem with Spell-Like-Abilities they are way harder to metamagic sadly.

Main reason i can't multiclass is because we are restricted to 3 classes per character and i mayb want to take a prc later on.

I want to play a low powered character because the rest of my group sucks really hard at optimizing. A druid that never wildshapes, only uses unicorns for heal or entangle and mostly fights close range with spear while forgetting her pet. A figther that basically just wants to roll dice for maximum crit with his axe etc. Some other wierd class combinations that make zero sense.

DanyBallon
2016-10-25, 07:27 AM
I'm a bit confused, are you playing a 3.5 game and are looking for something similar to 5e Magic Initiate, or are you playing 5e and are looking for low level spells, without multiclassing and taking Magic Iniate?

WhiteBread
2016-10-25, 07:47 AM
I'm a bit confused, are you playing a 3.5 game and are looking for something similar to 5e Magic Initiate, or are you playing 5e and are looking for low level spells, without multiclassing and taking Magic Iniate?

I am playing a 3.5 game and looking for something like Magic Initiate. Maybe it is easier to understand if I say I want something like Hidden Talent/Wild Talent for spellcasting instead manifestation. I effectively just want to gain spell slots for a generic warrior.

With Magic Initiate you would gain 2 Cantrips and 1 First level. Per wording you would probably get spell slots for these.

Wild Talent or Hidden Talent can make a non psionic class psionic by giving them a Spell Point Reservoire and I want the same for my warrior but with spell slots.

Hopeless
2016-10-25, 07:53 AM
What is the name for the npc class in Eberron that deal with making minor magical items?

DanyBallon
2016-10-25, 08:12 AM
I am playing a 3.5 game and looking for something like Magic Initiate. Maybe it is easier to understand if I say I want something like Hidden Talent/Wild Talent for spellcasting instead manifestation. I effectively just want to gain spell slots for a generic warrior.

With Magic Initiate you would gain 2 Cantrips and 1 First level. Per wording you would probably get spell slots for these.

Wild Talent or Hidden Talent can make a non psionic class psionic by giving them a Spell Point Reservoire and I want the same for my warrior but with spell slots.

ok thanks, I now see what you are looing for.

My memory of 3.5 is quite fuzzy this morning, but wasn't there a NPC class called acolyte that had access to limited spellcasting. Taking 1 or 2 level instead of commoner could do the trick.

WhiteBread
2016-10-26, 02:41 PM
ok thanks, I now see what you are looing for.

My memory of 3.5 is quite fuzzy this morning, but wasn't there a NPC class called acolyte that had access to limited spellcasting. Taking 1 or 2 level instead of commoner could do the trick.

I finally found the feat i was looking for. It is called "Magical Training" and is from Forgotten Realms... Damn why these things so hard to find sometimes.