PDA

View Full Version : Just add a little insanity thread for Gm's and Power Gamers

Lacrimosa
2016-10-25, 02:20 AM
Care to spice up any campaign just add insanity....

Smoke swirls two glowing red eyes stare into your
soul the very air vibrates with planar power.
A voice booms who has need of my services for I am
mighty and would aid those I can but the price oh hehe
there is always a price...The swirling smoke drifts
toward you an unholy glow back-lighting a shadowy figure
stalking you. The smell of rotten eggs wafts over you
as the glowing eyes grow ever nearer...Are you to pay
the price hehe oh the price there is always a price...
What shall we demand yes oh hee hee must demand a price
oh the price there is always a price! Gagging and
coughing a sudden breeze has forced the smoke
right at you. Before you stands a robed and armored
Half-elf looking guilty while holding two burning
coals on a stick fanning a rotten egg at you.....
Rage boils over you see red why this little bastard
is making a joke out of me! At this point you realize
you are missing your coin purse your skull throbs with
the need of violence stepping forward....Only too late
you realize something is horridly wrong as you fall flat
on your face due to your boots being firmly tied together.
Heh hehe oh oh the price yes the price mad gibberish a
wheezing cackle of a laugh comes from above you.
Argh as Delitor sits down on your back and proceeds to
rifle through your pack. Oh see yes this is amazing!
With this I saw be unstoppable chants Delitor laughing
madly holding a candle taken from your pack aloft.
GET OFF ME YOU CRAZY ELF!!! Oh he he he but the price
see there is always a price one must never forget the
price lest it stab you in the back, roars Delitor!
Muscles tighten panic sets in, this crazy elf is going
to stab me.....
The pressure on your back suddenly lifts as
the mad cackles continue. Fury grips you, your blood pumping
your dagger makes short work of the tied and now ruined
boot laces...Rising the crazy Elf no wait half-elf talks
to himself and smiles inanely at you stroking the forges
of the burning rage deep within your chest. You jump
forward a swift dagger will finish this and one less
demented being roaming free only sharp eyes focus on you
power envelopes you. Screaming you fight it but without
luck as in a firm growl you hear Delitor say. Sit boy......
Trapped locked away in your own head as you are forced
by a power to sit and wait. The story unfolds are
youthful mistake a tiny error a pact, a very dark
pact and as with all such dealings with powers of
Under realms a hefty price oh the price yes always a
price. Delitors price as he explains it a very small
minuscule part of his...sanity.... Eyes aglow and
swirling power brims in his eyes oh but the Power! Some
prices might yes the price oh the price might be worth
it after all. With cackling giggles as drool leaks down
his chin unnoticed or acknowledged. The madly glowing
eyes, the oh so handsome face with its maddened grin.
Power at a price is it worth it some crazy few like the
mad half elf across them table seem to think so. Fate
steps in paths have crossed, a mission to be done. Only
time will tell if the price oh the price was in fact worth it.

The End

Delitor the Mad Warlock starts any campaign (barring approval)
with a bonus feat a boon granted by his dark patron but the price
oh yes there is always a price =D Delitor has a 5% chance on any
spell cast or attack action to cast or attack on nearest target to
him be they friend or foe. Nor does he level up or gain exp normally
instead his Patron grants him levels but oh the price there is always
a price to be determined(% of his sanity)

Fair warning parties tend to kill mad characters pretty quickly depending on how much insanity they gain or how much they want to power game...
Level 2.5% insanity never more than +1 level of party avg. and only when party levels.
Feat 5% bonus feats in addition to those granted by race/class tables
Gaining any new class specific ability 1% at levels 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 aka ding lvl 2 fighter now has Action Surge...+1% insanity
Killing a party member -5% insanity -2 to primary stat at this point RP is required "You've just killed the...." If the player doesn't RP their ass off...kill him

Enjoy!

mgshamster
2016-10-25, 09:07 AM
Can you fix the formatting, please? It makes it very difficult to read when there are random returns in the middle of sentences (due to bad translation of formatting during copy/paste).

Grod_The_Giant
2016-10-25, 09:18 AM
Madness can be fun to roleplay, if that's your bag.

"I have an x% chance to kill my allies" is not.

It's not interesting, it's not madness, and it's not fun. It's a great way to irritate everyone at the table. I'll direct you to Grod's Law, in my signature-- you can't balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use. Think about all the various sorts of players-- the newbies, the roleplayers, the optimizers, the munchkins... The only type of player likely to enjoy something like this is the disruptive ****bag-- they don't care that the entire game is being disrupted, because that's what they find fun and this is just one more excuse. Everyone else, everyone who cares about playing their character and having fun, they're going to suffer.

Douche
2016-10-25, 09:34 AM

It's not interesting, it's not madness, and it's not fun. It's a great way to irritate everyone at the table. I'll direct you to Grod's Law, in my signature-- you can't balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use. Think about all the various sorts of players-- the newbies, the roleplayers, the optimizers, the munchkins... The only type of player likely to enjoy something like this is the disruptive ****bag-- they don't care that the entire game is being disrupted, because that's what they find fun and this is just one more excuse. Everyone else, everyone who cares about playing their character and having fun, they're going to suffer.

And then the second someone else does something to disrupt their trolling, ie trolling the troll, they will whine like a little baby.

If you ask me, Vampire: the Masquerade, Bloodlines did it best. If you played as a Malkavian, all your dialogue options become completely insane, but they still make sense if you actually read them. They'd say something like

Heather: While you were gone, I tapped my foot over three thousand times. I-I don't know why I counted... huh.

Malkavian: Now we know how many foot taps it takes to make me appear. Wonderful.

Assuming that he's saying that seriously & not sarcastically, they were wonderfully insane without either being nonsensical or being "LOL I KILLED MY PARTY SO RANDUM LOLOL"

Lacrimosa
2016-10-25, 11:58 AM

It is not a X% chance to kill your allies its only a X% chance to attack them he would still have to follow normal combat rules and....you. are. the. GM.... You can foreshadow the madness anyway you want and after the first time they attack the party nothing stops you from giving party member who use the in game knowledge to ROLEPLAY their reaction....maybe gaining bonus to dodge or ac from you for being cautious of the "mad" player. In a experienced party a mad player tends to add =D insane amounts of roleplay.

Lacrimosa
2016-10-25, 12:04 PM
Can you fix the formatting, please? It makes it very difficult to read when there are random returns in the middle of sentences (due to bad translation of formatting during copy/paste).

sorry wrote it in notepad I know the format sucks.

Lacrimosa
2016-10-25, 12:14 PM
And then the second someone else does something to disrupt their trolling, ie trolling the troll, they will whine like a little baby.

If you ask me, Vampire: the Masquerade, Bloodlines did it best. If you played as a Malkavian, all your dialogue options become completely insane, but they still make sense if you actually read them. They'd say something like

Assuming that he's saying that seriously & not sarcastically, they were wonderfully insane without either being nonsensical or being "LOL I KILLED MY PARTY SO RANDUM LOLOL"

If you see this as nothing but trolling I feel sad you've never played with people who honestly roleplay as their character. This is meant to be fun and can cause a lot of interesting solutions to the madness I've seen parties have a lot of fun with it. You should never allow a annoying or troll player to be a mad one. oh well good luck try it out sometime maybe you'll understand if you've got someone that will own it

Asmotherion
2016-10-25, 12:15 PM
The way I understand it is that you want to punish players who want to power game just because they chose to do so. Not cool bro.

If you don't want power gaming just explain your players that you want a non optimisation campain. You also are the DM and have all the tools you want at your disposal, like:

-Disable multi-classing
-Allow multi-classing only for explained, logical options, and only with your aproval
-Disable anything else you don't want in your campain.

As a matter of fact, you are the DM. More than a King, you are a God at your table. If you say something applies, it does. However, just like a good King or God, you should listen to what your subjects will actually enjoy, rather than abuse this power just to make you feel good. A game is something everyone should enjoy. If you are playing a "Players VS DM kind of scenario, you are playing D&D wrong altogether.

Now, wile madness can be fun to roll play, be sure your players are comfortable with such rules, and will have fun with them. The system you describe is likely to make other characters dislike the mad character, even making them want to attack him back. Making other players kill a player's character never ends well on a table, except if both parties agree.

Ruslan
2016-10-25, 12:20 PM
Delitor the Mad Warlock starts any campaign (barring approval)
with a bonus feat a boon granted by his dark patron but the price
oh yes there is always a price =D Delitor has a 5% chance on any
spell cast or attack action to cast or attack on nearest target to
him be they friend or foe. So he gets a feat, and his fellow party members get randomly damaged? Seems like a pretty good deal to me. Couldn't you negotiate with the DM to get two feats at the 'cost' of upping the chance to 10%?

Reosoul
2016-10-25, 05:22 PM
This sounds like something I'd think was pretty cool if I were still in middle-school.

Really just sounds finicky and annoying, having to roll percentile dice every. single. time. this guy takes an action. Urgh.