PDA

View Full Version : 5E Fire Arms Review

speakersinc
2016-10-25, 01:28 PM
So, I've been toying with an idea for a while of introducing Guns into my 5E campaign setting. I imagine others have posted ideas for homebrew fire arms in a 5E setting, but there are a couple major things I'm attempting to avoid: gunpowder and making crossbows/bows obsolete.

These arcane guns function off of an enchantment (essentially the Magic Stone spell from elemental evil) on a metal pipe that is activated when an enchanted device touches the pipe (think percussion cap hammer hitting the barrel of an old handgun). The enchantment throws the round out the barrel (e.g. fires the round) and you have something that is no louder than a typical arcane spell. The damage is considered non-magical as the round is magically propelled, but itself is still just a lead ball/bullet that is hitting the target.

Also, these firearms can be paired with the SHARPSHOOTER feat, but are NOT applicable to the CROSSBOW EXPERT feat.

To that end, I've created a few home brew items that might fit the bill and sit along side those traditional D&D ranged weapons. Please take a look and provide feedback.

Arcane Pepperbox
Type: Simple Ranged Weapon
Cost: 150gp
Damage: 1d6 Piercing
Weight: 6 lbs.
Range: 50 / 150 feet
Properties:
Ammo (30 rounds for 5gp. Pepperbox Ball Mold price is 250gp. Raw Lead material is 2gp for 30 rounds worth of material. Crafting Time: 15 rounds per hour)
Loading (every 4 shots a bonus action must be used to reload all 4 barrels)
Arcane Short Gun
Type: Simple Ranged Weapon
Cost: 450gp
Damage: 1d8 Piercing
Range: 80 / 240 feet
Properties:
Two Handed
Ammo (15 rounds for 5gp. Short/Long Gun Bullet Mold price is 450gp. Raw lead material is 2gp for 15 rounds worth of material. Crafting Time: 8 rounds per hour)
Arcane Long Gun
Type: Martial Ranged Weapon
Cost: 450gp
Damage: 1d10 Piercing
Range: 100 / 300 feet
Properties:
Heavy
Two Handed
Ammo (15 rounds for 5gp. Short/Long Gun Bullet Mold price is 450gp. Raw lead material is 2gp for 15 rounds worth of material. Crafting Time: 8 rounds per hour)
Arcane Revolver
Cost: 750gp
Damage: 1d8 Piercing
Range: 60 / 180 feet
Properties:
Light
Ammo (30 rounds for 5gp. Revolver Bullet Mold price is 450gp. Raw Lead material is 2gp for 30 rounds worth of material. Crafting Time: 8 rounds per hour)
Loading (every 6 shots a bonus action must be used to reload all 6 rounds in the cylinder)
Arcane Breacherbuss
Cost: 300gp
Damage: Special
Range: 30 feet
Properties:
Two Handed
Damage (10 / 20 / 30ft :: 3d4 / 2d4 /1d4, Hits up to 2 targets in a line)

Sir cryosin
2016-10-25, 01:45 PM
So I made a railgun by taking a crossbow and enchanting a metal plate with the spell catapult. There was a hopper on top of the enchanted plate when I pull the tigger a sling bullet drops on the plate getting launch out. Just like a magic low power railgun.

Arkhios
2016-10-25, 01:58 PM
Just stopping by to check if you were aware that firearms already appear in Dungeon Master's Guide (pg. 267).

Just so you could match your homebrew with them or anything.

speakersinc
2016-10-25, 03:11 PM
Just stopping by to check if you were aware that firearms already appear in Dungeon Master's Guide (pg. 267).

Just so you could match your homebrew with them or anything.

I've looked at the DMG items before, but find them to be a little lacking. The biggest struggle I have with the items listed in the DMG is their Damage/Range. They have very high damage but are so limited in range compared with bows and crossbows that I feel one might struggle to replace your "regular attack weapon" with one of the items in the Renaissance period items on p. 268.

So, I took a stab at my own, and especially at a "design" that doesn't require blackpowder or gunpowder.