PDA

View Full Version : Ioun Stone. EX or SU?

valise
2016-10-25, 02:48 PM
As the title says.
The Ioun stones and the powers they provide. Is it extrodinary ability or supernatural?
How do they function in a antimagic field.
If a pc or mob have fast healing/regeneration can they still implant the stones?

I ask as one character has regen five. He is buying a clear spindle, and Iridescent. If he is able to implant them, will they function in a antimagic field? Yes he is looking at a rather creative way to become immortal.

InvisibleBison
2016-10-25, 04:12 PM
What edition are you using?

Assuming 3.5, magic items aren't abilities; they aren't EX, SU, or SP. That said, they are magic, so they are suppressed by an antimagic field.

As for the idea of implanting ioun stones in your body: Normally, implanting slotless items in your body would let them work in antimagic fields, since the field doesn't have line of effect to the item. Ioun stones, however, have to be orbiting your head in order for you to get the benefit, so implanting one in your body would be of no use.

Also, not needing to eat, drink or breathe doesn't make you immortal.

KillianHawkeye
2016-10-25, 04:16 PM
I don't know what you mean by "implanting." That's not how Ioun stones work.

That aside, Ioun stones are magic items, and magic items don't function in an antimagic field.

valise
2016-10-25, 04:49 PM
Running Pathfinder. Then I miss read the implant section of Ioun stone. As I read it that they still function even implanted. I ask as there is some debat in the group regarding his regen, and being in a anti matter field that he can remain uncousious and basically in a coma do to starving and thirst. With said ioun stones implanted he could remain whole no matter the environment, so short of a desintergration spell he does not have much to worry about.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/ioun-stones
Implanted Ioun Stone suggest they still work when implanted. I could be reading it wrong.

Erys
2016-10-25, 05:19 PM
Running Pathfinder. Then I miss read the implant section of Ioun stone. As I read it that they still function even implanted. I ask as there is some debat in the group regarding his regen, and being in a anti matter field that he can remain uncousious and basically in a coma do to starving and thirst. With said ioun stones implanted he could remain whole no matter the environment, so short of a desintergration spell he does not have much to worry about.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/ioun-stones
Implanted Ioun Stone suggest they still work when implanted. I could be reading it wrong.

Pathfinder does allow implanting.

That said, if you are in an antimagic field (or dead magic zone) all your magic items are suppressed, even if it is implanted under the skin.

LibraryOgre
2016-10-26, 01:39 PM
The Mod Wonder: Moved. Please place system-specific questions in the relevant forum.

Zanos
2016-10-26, 01:46 PM
If he is able to implant them, will they function in a antimagic field?
No. They are still magic items. They are suppressed.

Echch
2016-10-26, 01:55 PM
I would say they are effectively SU: Can't dispel them, but they are supressed in any sort of AMF.

Zanos
2016-10-26, 02:10 PM
Not sure about PF, but in 3.5 you could hit a magic item with a targeted dispel to suppress it.

Slithery D
2016-10-26, 02:18 PM
I'm going to disagree with the consensus, an implanted (or swallowed) magic item is shielded from an AMF and would continue to function. If you want to defeat it you'd have to rule that its effect on your body is suppressed, but the item itself has to function.

Deophaun
2016-10-26, 03:45 PM
I ask as there is some debat in the group regarding his regen, and being in a anti matter field
his mass is annihilated by an equal mass of anti-matter from the field, converting it entirely to energy. Everyone within a 1000-mile radius needs to make a Reflex save or take all the damage.

Echch
2016-10-26, 04:27 PM
Not sure about PF, but in 3.5 you could hit a magic item with a targeted dispel to suppress it.

Actually, now that I've looked it up, Pathfinder still allows for it. Must have overseen it, I was sure they got rid of it...