PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Rules questions: Psychoportive shelter (my players stay out)

J-H
2016-10-25, 04:35 PM
My players stay out. You know who you are.

Psychoportive Shelter is a Rope Trick-like power from CPsi:

You mentally grab an adjacent bubble
of empty extradimensional space and
stretch it so that it connects locally.
The shelter has a single entrance on
the plane on which it was created.

You and other creatures can
enter the shelter at will. The shelter
holds up to seven creatures of Large
or smaller size.
From inside the shelter, you can
look out of the entrance as if you
were looking through a window.
However, creatures in the shelter are
hidden, beyond the reach of powers
(including clairsentient probes), unless
those powers work across planes.
Powers cannot be manifested across
the extradimensional interface, nor
can area effects cross it.
Once inside the shelter, you can take
a standard action to will the exterior
entrance to become invisible on the
plane on which it was created. You
can still see out of the entrance, but
creatures on the plane of origin can't
see in, even if they're able to discern
the shimmering entrance itself.

See Invisibility makes it visible, and the door can't be locked, so it's not a particularly secure camping space at higher levels.

A Spot check DC 40 lets someone perceive a nearby invisible unmoving inanimate object, but I assume the portal would be harder to find since it is not interacting with the environment (or is it - do smoke or rain blow in?).

I am not very familiar with the rules surrounding the Ethereal Plane. I know it is coterminus with the Material Plane. Is something invisible on the material plane visible on the ethereal? If so, does that mean that an ethereal creature (wraith, ghost, ethereal filcher, etc) could perceive the entrance and thus enter the space? Or do they have to have some sort of See Invisibility effect to perceive it?

Psyren
2016-10-25, 04:50 PM
I am not very familiar with the rules surrounding the Ethereal Plane. I know it is coterminus with the Material Plane. Is something invisible on the material plane visible on the ethereal? If so, does that mean that an ethereal creature (wraith, ghost, ethereal filcher, etc) could perceive the entrance and thus enter the space? Or do they have to have some sort of See Invisibility effect to perceive it?

No, if those beings can't see invisible somehow then they can't perceive the aperture. A Wraith's lifesense would not work across planes either, though if it saw someone entering the Shelter (and i.e. disappearing), it might stumble inside.

J-H
2016-10-27, 08:49 PM
Next question:

If the shelter becomes overfull, the spell ends, ejecting everyone back onto the material plane. The manifester can also end it early. The exact phrasing is “expelled,” whatever that means.

It could mean the bubble ends and everyone’s in the corresponding spot on the material plane, or it could mean that everyone gets flung 5’ per 10’ of distance from the bubble entrance, taking 1d6 falling damage if they are flung 20’, and having to make a jump or tumble check to land upright, or it could mean something else entirely.

What's most consistent with RAW for similar wording?

martixy
2016-10-27, 09:43 PM
Next question:

If the shelter becomes overfull, the spell ends, ejecting everyone back onto the material plane. The manifester can also end it early. The exact phrasing is “expelled,” whatever that means.

It could mean the bubble ends and everyone’s in the corresponding spot on the material plane, or it could mean that everyone gets flung 5’ per 10’ of distance from the bubble entrance, taking 1d6 falling damage if they are flung 20’, and having to make a jump or tumble check to land upright, or it could mean something else entirely.

What's most consistent with RAW for similar wording?

I'd say expelled across planar boundaries, and not in any of the normal 3d directions, so when they arrive on the material, they hit a brick wall in the 4th direction. You could still have them take damage, but don't fling them around in any of the 3 regular directions.