PDA

View Full Version : Rewarding personal growth

Bladeyeoman
2016-10-25, 09:07 PM
Hey guys,

I'm running a group of friends through the Lost Mines of Phandelver module, and one of my players is about to complete a major personal goal (un-defiling a certain shrine to Oghma). Because attendance is sometimes spotty and I want to keep things simple, I've been keeping all characters at the same XP. So I'd rather not give XP as a reward for completing this goal. But I definitely would like some tangible benefit to the character as a permanent reminder of achieving their goal (that seems like something worth doing?).

I was hoping you guys would have suggestions of something appropriate (and not too game breaking). Characters are currently almost level 4. Possible options I've been considering:

a) the character (who is a wizard) gains a cleric cantrip of their choice as a divine gift from Oghma
b) the religious order of Oghma give the wizard a ring or symbol of Oghma, which is a magical item with some nice-but-not-overpowered effect.

But I'd love to hear the thoughts of more experienced DMs (or players). I'll be talking to the player to see what he wants, but I want to have some options to offer.

Thanks in advance!

DanyBallon
2016-10-25, 09:12 PM
Are you make use of inspiration points in your game? If not it could be a nice way to introduce the mechanic. If you do, you just could give more than one point to represent the achievement.

Bladeyeoman
2016-10-25, 09:16 PM
Are you make use of inspiration points in your game? If not it could be a nice way to introduce the mechanic. If you do, you just could give more than one point to represent the achievement.

Totally! Although I hesitate to use inspiration as the reward for this, since that seems like a fairly temporary thing.

DanyBallon
2016-10-25, 09:33 PM
Totally! Although I hesitate to use inspiration as the reward for this, since that seems like a fairly temporary thing.

I can understand, but as far as rewarding personnal growth without breaking anything, inspiration points is a good way to go, and if I remember well, inspiration points was designed with this exact intent in mind.

On the other hand, allowing a cleric cantrip to a wizard is not that bad, but I would try not to give sacred flame as ther are already many offensive cantrip on the wizard list, and since we are talking about Oghma, Guidance could be a nice fit. (I would have say Message, but it appear on both list)

I'm not too kind on giving magic items, but a symbol of Oghma, that would allow to rest and eat for free in any Oghma temple would be a good reward as well.

For more ideas, have a look at Other Rewards in the DMG p.227

ClintACK
2016-10-25, 09:42 PM
Wizards love new spells for their spell books.

Give him a scroll with a couple of Oghma-themed spells he can scribe into his book. Or maybe just have them come to him in a dream and let him wake to find them already in his book. However you want to fluff it.

Good Oghmaish spells:
- Detect Magic, Comprehend Languages, Alarm, Identify; Detect Thoughts, Locate Object.

Gastronomie
2016-10-25, 09:56 PM
Wizards love new spells for their spell books.

Give him a scroll with a couple of Oghma-themed spells he can scribe into his book. Or maybe just have them come to him in a dream and let him wake to find them already in his book. However you want to fluff it.

Good Oghmaish spells:
- Detect Magic, Comprehend Languages, Alarm, Identify; Detect Thoughts, Locate Object.This seems best to me.

Or alternatively, giving him a blessing that bestows him the class abilities of the Knowledge Cleric.

Addaran
2016-10-26, 06:15 AM
First idea that came to me before getting to your suggestions was a cleric cantrip. =)

DannyBallon's suggestion of giving the acolyte background's feature is great too.

If you give magic item, i'd go for just a "quirk" from the lists. Something very Oghma could be that the item "detects" books. If you're within 100 feets of one, the item glows faintly or gets warmer. Exact wording of what it finds would have to be though a bit (books, anything written?, only "hidden" ones, unattended ones or things the wearer haven't read yet) so it doesn't always detect the bible of the cleric in the party.