PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an Incorporeal Undead

Buufreak
2016-10-25, 09:54 PM
Specifically one that is listed with a playable LA. So far, haven't found any, but then again I don't own every book. Care to help a fellow out?

SangoProduction
2016-10-25, 09:58 PM
How's bout Ghost?

Venger
2016-10-25, 10:14 PM
Specifically one that is listed with a playable LA. So far, haven't found any, but then again I don't own every book. Care to help a fellow out?

aside from ghost, there are none. your best bet would be to roll necropolitan and enter psion uncarnate

OldTrees1
2016-10-25, 10:15 PM
Your best options are:
1) Ghost (as mentioned by SangoProduction) which can be taken as the +5LA template or the 5 level long template class (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a)
2) An Incorporeal(+2LA ritual from Savage Species) Necropolitian which is a bit expensive wealth wise rather than with LA.

Personally I prefer the Ghost template class but I am unusually fond of the Rejuvenation ability.

Exocist
2016-10-25, 10:50 PM
Checking up my template list brings up:

Dream Elemental Creature (LA +1, Dragon Magazine and technically unplayable)
Frostfell Ghost/Normal Ghost (Take the levels in Ghost 1 at a time then buying them off as you get them is your best bet)
Spectral Savant (LA+4, Ritual)
Unbodied (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/unbodied.htm) (LA +4, 4 RHD, Starts with 4 levels of Psion [Telepath])
Suel Lich (Dragon 339, Only Incorporeal sometimes)

I would honestly go with Ghost (Take 1 level at a time and then use LA buy off to buy them off as you get them, at 3, 6, 9, 12, 15 etc.) or Unbodied.

EDIT: Unbodided aren't actually undead, but you can add Necropolitan to it (As it applies to any Humanoid or Monstrous Humanoid, corporeal or no). I would suggest doing that anyway, because you can lose the RHD without losing the manifesting.

TheifofZ
2016-10-25, 11:53 PM
Unfortunately, because 'Incorporeal' is actually hideously overpowered, very few monsters with LA have it.

Your best bet really is the Ghost option, or tacking 'Incorporeal' on a necropolitan.

SangoProduction
2016-10-26, 02:43 AM
Of course, you can take that Unbodied. If you're starting at 8th level, with standard wealth by level, then you can do that, die 2 times, being brought back with Raise Dead (because you aren't an undead yet), and then take Necropolitan. Then you progress as a Psion with effectively a +1 LA as far as casting is concerned but with a **** ton more stats, incorporeality, and overall BS.

Of course...you'd be playing an 8th level campaign as a 4th level psion caster with 1 HD. So there's that. And if the DM doesn't grant bonus XP for you being lower level (which is a pain in the ass. I don't do it), you'll take a good while to catch up. Meanwhile, you are very, very likely to die. Especially since you are now undead, which effectively reduced your HP by 10 by removing that negative hit point pool.

So moral of the story...Let's not do that....Unless you have a DM that feels bad that you cheesed yourself in to that.

Exocist
2016-10-26, 02:47 AM
Of course, you can take that Unbodied. If you're starting at 8th level, with standard wealth by level, then you can do that, die 2 times, being brought back with Raise Dead (because you aren't an undead yet), and then take Necropolitan. Then you progress as a Psion with effectively a +1 LA as far as casting is concerned but with a **** ton more stats, incorporeality, and overall BS.

Of course...you'd be playing an 8th level campaign as a 4th level psion caster with 1 HD. So there's that. And if the DM doesn't grant bonus XP for you being lower level (which is a pain in the ass. I don't do it), you'll take a good while to catch up. Meanwhile, you are very, very likely to die. Especially since you are now undead, which effectively reduced your HP by 10 by removing that negative hit point pool.

So moral of the story...Let's not do that.

It's simple: Just get gud and don't die :smalltongue:

Tiri
2016-10-26, 03:32 AM
The Spectral, Umbral and Wraith templates give you playable Spectres, Shadows and Wraiths, respectively.

The LAs are high to the point of unplayability, but they're there.

Exocist
2016-10-26, 04:11 AM
The Spectral, Umbral and Wraith templates give you playable Spectres, Shadows and Wraiths, respectively.

The LAs are high to the point of unplayability, but they're there.

Wraith is LA+6, but Spectral and Umbral are LA - unless you can point me to a source that has a listed LA for them?

Without that, you can't play them.

Tiri
2016-10-26, 08:14 AM
Wraith is LA+6, but Spectral and Umbral are LA - unless you can point me to a source that has a listed LA for them?

Without that, you can't play them.

I seem to have missed the Umbral update in Libris Mortis that gave it LA -, but I can't find any updated Spectral template.

The three of them are originally from Savage Species, where they all have LAs.

Inevitability
2016-10-26, 01:02 PM
If you're fine with forum-approved houseruling, my sig has a few. Allips are +3, for one.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-10-26, 01:13 PM
Checking up my template list brings up:

Dream Elemental Creature (LA +1, Dragon Magazine and technically unplayable)
Spectral Savant (LA+4, Ritual)
Unbodied (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/unbodied.htm) (LA +4, 4 RHD, Starts with 4 levels of Psion [Telepath])
I have a few comments/tidbits on these:
Dream Element Creature sets your wisdom to --, which technically makes you an object (and should set cha to --, as well).
Spectral Savant is a kind of psionic lich, and you lose the ability to recover PP through resting. It's pretty inconvenient, unless you are willing to carry around large-ish numbers of weak psionic creatures to drain pp from, or pp are cheap (e.g. +1 manifester arrows are sold on street corners, bestow power gives positive returns).
(Necropolitan) Unbodied are pretty neato. They are incorporeal, but also gain the ability to look like a lot of creatures, so it's easy to hide your undeath, if needed.

Exocist
2016-10-26, 08:40 PM
I have a few comments/tidbits on these:
Dream Element Creature sets your wisdom to --, which technically makes you an object (and should set cha to --, as well).

It makes 4 scores -- (Incorporeal Undead makes STR and CON -- and due to the rules, having WIS -- also means CHA --)

It's kind of silly it even has a listed LA...

Spectral Savant is a kind of psionic lich, and you lose the ability to recover PP through resting. It's pretty inconvenient, unless you are willing to carry around large-ish numbers of weak psionic creatures to drain pp from, or pp are cheap (e.g. +1 manifester arrows are sold on street corners, bestow power gives positive returns).

Well actually, only the sample Spectral Savant can't regain power points. Reread the template :P

The Transformation Ritual

The transformation ritual first requires that the psion or erudite obtain or create a cognizance crystal capable of storing 17 power points, plus acquire a number of mundane crystals whose combined value is no less than 10,000 gp. The character must also be able to manifest 6th-level psionic powers. Once the prerequisites are met, the character can begin the ritual. Once the ritual begins, the mundane crystals are destroyed over the course of one night and the cognizance crystal is subsumed into the body of the character. The character also expends 4,500 XP to complete the ritual. When the character finishes the ritual, he arises as a spectral savant, at which time his power points are totally expended. He must find another psionic character or creature to gain additional power points as described above.

By a strict RAW reading, it doesn't actually prevent you regaining power points by resting. It only says that you "must find another psionic character or creature to gain ADDITIONAL power points", not regain the ones you normally have. It is kind of cheesy, but if a psionic character wanted to be one I'd let it fly - it is +4 LA after all.

(Necropolitan) Unbodied are pretty neato. They are incorporeal, but also gain the ability to look like a lot of creatures, so it's easy to hide your undeath, if needed.

Agree. You can also just die and get rezz'd 3 times to lose 3 HD. Or 2 times + Necropolitan. That 1 HD at ECL8 will be a pain though.

barakaka
2016-10-26, 10:44 PM
Don't forget the Ghostwalk Ghost template! LA+0, but you have to die, so you'll lose a level there. You also need to take a certain number of levels of the ghost classes in the book, but that's more for immersion, so a kind DM would probably hand waive that. The fighter-style Eidolon class gives you access to a bunch of cool ghost feats and the Eidoloncer gives you some while being a base caster class.

Eidolon Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?239930-3-5-The-Eidolon-Handbook-Any-feedback-is-appreciated-))
There's also the BG Ghost Guide.

There's a lot of fun content in that book!

Inevitability
2016-10-27, 01:09 AM
Sacred Watcher is much like ghost, but it's Deathless rather than Undead. If that's fine with you, it may be a potential pick.

Savage Species also has the Shadow monster class, which is decent as far as monster classes go.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-10-27, 10:19 AM
Well actually, only the sample Spectral Savant can't regain power points. Reread the template :P
It's under "Spectral Savants as characters": "A spectral savant retains all class abilities it had in life, except it can no longer recover power points simply by resting".

Agree. You can also just die and get rezz'd 3 times to lose 3 HD. Or 2 times + Necropolitan. That 1 HD at ECL8 will be a pain though.
Yeah, I'd rather houserule that they recieve manifesting based on HD (as I would with all casting creatures). You wouldn't be able to use HD-drain, but on the other hand, your +4 LA is providing a better psion hit die in addition to its other effects.

Dream Element Creature is just a huge fluke.

Segev
2016-10-27, 10:35 AM
I would honestly go with Ghost (Take 1 level at a time and then use LA buy off to buy them off as you get them, at 3, 6, 9, 12, 15 etc.)

Er... I am not sure it really works that way. The LA-buyoff rules are built to make it take longer to buy off greater amounts of LA, and I'm also pretty sure the Savage Progressions require you to take them all the way up once you start them, at least by the RAW. i.e., it would take a house rule to take them in a more desirable order to "break up" the LA into more-easily-bought-off chunks.

I'd still recommend ghost, though. I'd even go for the whole template rather than bothering with savage progressions. It's one of the few that actually is rather worth its +4 LA.

ShurikVch
2016-10-27, 10:51 AM
People already mentioned most of decent options, but there is still a bit more things:

(Hint: in order to gain Undead type, dip in Grim Psion (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20030628b))

Spectral Panther (Monsters of Faerûn): 3 HD Magical Beast (Incorporeal), LA: +3
Telthor template: (Unapproachable East): change type to Fey (incorporeal), LA: +4
Hoarder (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070307b): Dragon-specific template, change type to Undead (incorporeal), LA: +4
Disembodied Spirit (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pg/20030924a) template: gives Incorporeal subtype; LA: +0, but you will need some way to fix "has no attacks and can make only a single move action" issue

If you OK with 3rd-party sources, then there are:
Spirit Dragon (Holy Orders of the Stars): Dragon-specific template, change type to Undead (incorporeal), LA: +4
Widderrìbhinn (Ravenloft Gazetteer Volume V): Fey-specific template, change type to Undead (Incorporeal), LA: +2

Umbral are LA - unless you can point me to a source that has a listed LA for them?Savage Species gives it LA: +5
Also, there is savage progression for it in Dragon #322

Buufreak
2016-10-27, 12:02 PM
Much appreciation, I'll look all these up when I get home.