PDA

View Full Version : Blood Magus: swift Blood Draught ?

Gruftzwerg
2016-10-26, 12:21 AM
A Blood Magus gain the ability to effectively brew potions using an alternate medium (his blood). Activating a Blood Draught takes a standard action according to the ability.
Blood Draughts are potion-like (but they don't count and aren't potions).

So here is my question:

Normally when you activate magic items (with a normal activation time of standard action), the spell stored in can change the activation time (into swift, rounds, minutes..).
Exceptions are potions and oils which always take a standard action.

Since Blood Draughts aren't real potions, would they be effected by the casting time of the spell? Would "swift Blood Draughts" be possible?

imho fluff & RAI suggests so and I think it's RAW too, but I am not really sure..

Venger
2016-10-26, 12:34 AM
Normally when you activate magic items (with a normal activation time of standard action), the spell stored in can change the activation time (into swift, rounds, minutes..).
Exceptions are potions and oils which always take a standard action.

what are you saying here? are you talking about how wands default to a spell's normal casting time instead of being a standard like a potion?

blood draught is specifically called out as a standard action, so even if you're emulating a spell that's a swift or immediate, you do not get to enjoy that, it changes to a standard like a normal potion.

weckar
2016-10-26, 05:45 AM
On the other hand, you get to benefit if the standard casting time would be longer, as then still it is a standard action.

Gruftzwerg
2016-10-26, 08:17 AM
what are you saying here? are you talking about how wands default to a spell's normal casting time instead of being a standard like a potion?

blood draught is specifically called out as a standard action, so even if you're emulating a spell that's a swift or immediate, you do not get to enjoy that, it changes to a standard like a normal potion.

I am referring to this here:
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20041116a

Activating a magic item is a standard action unless the item description indicates otherwise. However, the casting time of a spell is the time required to activate the same power in an item, regardless of the kind of magic item or its activation method, unless the item description specifically states otherwise (see page 213 in the Dungeon Masters Guide). Potions (and oils) are an exception. Drinking a potion or applying an oil to yourself is always a standard action, no matter what the stored spell's casting time is.

the text of Blood Draught says, that it's effectively "Brew Potion" using an alternate medium.
Which imho means: Blood Draughts != Potions and thus not always a standard action and adjusted by the spell it contains.
But it further says, that it is a standard action, but I dunno if that is a "specifically statement" or if it is just regarding to DMG p213: "Use Activated" items, that can have no action or standard action depending on its type.

Confused here :p

Venger
2016-10-26, 08:27 AM
I am referring to this here:
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20041116a

the text of Blood Draught says, that it's effectively "Brew Potion" using an alternate medium.
Which imho means: Blood Draughts != Potions and thus not always a standard action and adjusted by the spell it contains.
But it further says, that it is a standard action, but I dunno if that is a "specifically statement" or if it is just regarding to DMG p213: "Use Activated" items, that can have no action or standard action depending on its type.

Confused here :p

Like the FAQ, don't rely on the "rules of the game" articles for RAW clarification, they're an absolute mess.

the fact that blood draught is a standard action has nothing to do with potion rules. blood draught is a standard action because it says in the class feature "blood draught is a standard action."