PDA

View Full Version : Bladesinger report

spartan_ah
2016-10-26, 03:03 AM
hitting lvl 4 with my bladesinger, I thought about giving a little insight about the class. We are playing in a home brew campaign so far. It started as a one time adventure which moved to be a long time campaign.

Since it was a one time so I got pretty big shenanigans but I'm happy about them because it built my lore of the character pretty nice. So I'm playing an Avariel, which is a winged elf (a High elf minus cantrip and darkvision + 50' flying). and I have a moon-blade which is basically a finesse longsword +1 for now :)

in order to balance any flying problems i tend to hide my wings and use them only in a very necessary or when it's really cool... playing up to level 4 now I can count a very few cases in which I used it.

our party contains a vengeance paladin, archer arcane trickster and arctic land druid. plus we have a couple of champion NPC because we started very squishy.

the presence of a land druid drops the buffing role from me and gives me the chance to play the bladesinger as I see it should be. the arcane trickster also took all kinds of 1st level spells from me, like sleep...

So of course that my most used cantrip is GFB. definitely the best cantrip for a melee wizard. and I must say that I don't fall far behind the Paladin (he also has a +1 longsword).

also added minor illusion and message which proved to be very useful.
I used thunderwave once and magic missile a few. Tasha's hideous laughter is great against giant stupids.
I lack ranged options up until now when I took firebolt, even though I'm biased towards it, since I have a long bow.
my 2nd level spells were the amazing blur and flaming sphere.
flaming sphere keeps my damage with the martial classes and blur just makes me impossible to hit.When I cast blur I really want to be the tank, the one to take the hits because its really hard to hit me. but it will take my concentration, and deny me from using buffs. I thought about mirror image but with such a high AC it's a waste of 2nd lvl spell.
Blindness is nice against spellcasters and it's no concentration

my AC is sky high (19, and 24 when using shield) my hp is for shame, I really can't take blows for long.
Bladesingers can be melee compatibles, but it costs your resources, and sometimes fast.